Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by seat38a
You keep mentioning about things that happened 10 years ago or in the 90's. This is NOT the same Southwest or United.

Southwest grew A LOT and invested NOTHING in IT or changed their operations from the days of issuing plastic boarding passes. Herb Kellener and the folksy happy days are gone.

United merged and grew A LOT and invested in IT and also organized their hubs to not let issues at one hub cascade throughout the system. Jeff Smisek is GONE.

Yeah so United charges for luggage, better seats and snack boxes. Most of us avoid those through one way or another and going by the price of now, and not 20 years ago, Southwest is priced higher than United for most of my needs. I can pick a reasonable fare when I want to go instead of having to go at 4AM or 10PM to get the lowest fare on Southwest.

Just did a fare comparison for March 3 - 5 from DEN - LAX on both United and Southwest with similar departure times. All in prices are:

Southwest: $247.96 (Wanna Get Away Fare) Optionals: Early Bird for $20.00 each way for a total of $40.00; Wanna Get Away Plus for $41.00

United: $212.25 (Economy NOT Basic Economy)

Don't get me started on Early Bird that comes with ZERO guarantees that one will be in group A.
must have changed, lookups for DEN_LAX one way 3/4

United 118.60 plus 2 bags 198.60 (7:45 am dep)
Southwest DEN_LAX WGA 98.98 (includes 2 bags 8:50 am dep).
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
I assumed you did the best there which was 21d+ booking, same routes, and relatively same timing. My suggestion at the pricing is that the UA price didn't come close to the offering of what you get with WN. (2bags, but I only accounted for 1 bag RT as that it's reasonable to assume it's an average)

prestonh Posted a more reasonable (apples to apples) price comparison. Also he just showed OWs.

> Not sure what or how Southwest does it, but with United, with their new no change fee rule. I've changed flights multiple times when prices drop and have a bunch of travel credits for the price drop.

WN for a long time has operated on the model that the ticket was a flexible, but non-refundable ticket. At the moment UA and WN are the same in that reguard. (They've gotten a bit stricter on who gets SDCs)

Last edited by monksy; Dec 28, 2022 at 5:31 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I sat on the ramp in CMH for 45 minutes before the ground crew brought us into the gate last night. Another plane had been sitting there longer.
Baggage claim was a circus and as it was 12:30am we called it a night and left. We went back today and grabbed our bags - no employees to assist, nobody keeping an eye on the hundreds of bags that did not seem to be organized in any way.
Interestingly the app did not show our bags had been unloaded from the plane - I guessed correctly that they had, but the ground crew probably didn't bother due to scan, which conveniently removes evidence of when they were actually delivered.

Still, they're getting better... last Christmas we waited on the ramp for 60 minutes so there's that.

As it relates to Southwest, I don't think anyone wishes any airline to have operational meltdowns the like of which WN have been dealing with.
However, United are a long way from being good operationally, at least in Columbus. And guess what... no "How did we do" email... hate to have those NPS scores reflect reality...
SteveOh likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:38 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by monksy
I assumed you did the best there which was 21d+ booking, same routes, and relatively same timing. My suggestion at the pricing is that the UA price didn't come close to the offering of what you get with WN. (2bags, but I only accounted for 1 bag RT as that it's reasonable to assume it's an average)

prestonh Posted a more reasonable (apples to apples) price comparison. Also he just showed OWs.

> Not sure what or how Southwest does it, but with United, with their new no change fee rule. I've changed flights multiple times when prices drop and have a bunch of travel credits for the price drop.

WN for a long time has operated on the model that the ticket was a flexible, but non-refundable ticket. At the moment UA and WN are the same in that reguard. (They've gotten a bit stricter on who gets SDCs)
Good for you if bags matter. Like I said couple threads above. Most of us who fly United don't pay for bags since its waived via CC or elite status.

Originally Posted by prestonh
must have changed, lookups for DEN_LAX one way 3/4

United 118.60 plus 2 bags 198.60 (7:45 am dep)
Southwest DEN_LAX WGA 98.98 (includes 2 bags 8:50 am dep).
Why oneway? One generally needs to come back home?

lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2022 at 8:23 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It is too bad Southwest's passengers and staff have to deal with the fall out of management's poor decisions on IT, operations, etc. It really rests on their shoulders and am sure they will just continue to issue their mea culpas and we'll do better statements and keep their generous compensation packages.

I do appreciate the competition that Southwest has brought to many markets to drive prices down, but nowadays their pricing isn't that much better in many cases than other carriers especially if you have status on a carrier. The ability to check in two bags per passengers at no additional cost can be a huge savings for families/couples though so I see that attraction.

Outside of United since I have status, they just blend into any carrier (that is not Spirit or Frontier) that can get me from point A to B at the price I want to fly at. I rarely check in bags so not a cost I take into account.
m.y and SteveOh like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:55 pm

@seat38a wasn't sure on the return dates. fare construction is not generally dependent on a RT basis for domestic itineraries any longer so the one-way fares are more realistic, or you can even mix itineraries in practice.For the same day return, fares are the same but bag fees both ways would push UA much higher.

Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@seat38a wasn't sure on the return dates. fare construction is not generally dependent on a RT basis for domestic itineraries any longer
It very much depends upon the market. I still see plenty of domestic markets where UA offers a discount for RT travel. However, those usually aren't the ones where they have direct WN competition.
seat38a likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

@seat38a wasn't sure on the return dates. fare construction is not generally dependent on a RT basis for domestic itineraries any longer so the one-way fares are more realistic, or you can even mix itineraries in practice.For the same day return, fares are the same but bag fees both ways would push UA much higher.

My post your quoting below. Bolding
Yeah so United charges for luggage, better seats and snack boxes. Most of us avoid those through one way or another and going by the price of now, and not 20 years ago, Southwest is priced higher than United for most of my needs. I can pick a reasonable fare when I want to go instead of having to go at 4AM or 10PM to get the lowest fare on Southwest.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:59 pm

My post your quoting below. Bolding
ok, so for $10 more you can return at 8:40 am. for the record, 5:40 am is still not 4am.
so for an elite, the RT fare on the selected time(s) is slightly cheaper on UA. for a non-elite with 1 or more bags on 1 or more legs it will be more. i know how that will up-sell plus all the inflight sales.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by monksy
The United price is reasonably priced at: $282 (Inclusive of 1 bag RT), WN's pricing reflects 2 checked bags..but lets assume the average flyer is 1 bag.

Southwest: Earlybird, this is seat selection essentially. So consider the comparison to be 9$+ [couldn't find exact pricing but it's dynamic based on route]. Wannagetaway plus is a product for those who are FFs.

To me that's a bit expensive. But without the F product, I'd reasonably consider WN's pricing to be inclusive of the early bird, at 252, that's still cheaper.
Im not one but I recall from someone who is that WNs quite frequent flyers get all those extras for free notably boarding (seat selection) before anyone else. Isnt there free travel for spouses on the same itinerary, too?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

ok, so for $10 more you can return at 8:40 am. for the record, 5:40 am is still not 4am.
so for an elite, the RT fare on the selected time(s) is slightly cheaper on UA. for a non-elite with 1 or more bags on 1 or more legs it will be more. i know how that will up-sell plus all the inflight sales.
Go back and read all the posts above. The exact dates are all there. So are the explanations about the 4AM. If bags are so important to you, then by all means fly what works for you.

But back to the point of this thread. I'm sure all those Southwest passengers stuck all over the country right now are glad they didn't have to pay for their bags but stuck in a complete meltdown where they wont be rebooked until until the New Year nor currently know where their bags are.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Im not one but I recall from someone who is that WNs quite frequent flyers get all those extras for free notably boarding (seat selection) before anyone else. Isnt there free travel for spouses on the same itinerary, too?
It is for people with A-List status. Southwest used to board families after group A but before group B. Now they are going to experiment with moving them to before group A but allegedly enforce they can only sit behind the exit exit rows back of the plane. Good luck with FA's enforcing those rules. Say goodbye to exit row access. I can already see parents sitting in exit row and then putting their kids in the row behind or in front.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2022 at 8:31 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've been glad I don't fly WN ever since they started hiring failed standup comics as flight attendants and gate agents.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:12 pm

Southwest is priced higher than United for most of my needs. I can pick a reasonable fare when I want to go instead of having to go at 4AM or 10PM to get the lowest fare on Southwest.

Just did a fare comparison for March 3 - 5 from DEN - LAX on both United and Southwest with similar departure times. All in prices are:

Southwest: $247.96 (Wanna Get Away Fare) Optionals: Early Bird for $20.00 each way for a total of $40.00; Wanna Get Away Plus for $41.00

United: $212.25 (Economy NOT Basic Economy)

Go back and read all the posts above. The exact dates are all there. So are the explanations about the 4AM. If bags are so important to you, then by all means fly what works for you.

But back to the point of this thread. I'm sure all those Southwest passengers stuck all over the country right now are glad they didn't have to pay for their bags but stuck in a complete meltdown where they wont be rebooked until until the New Year nor currently know where their bags are.
I'm reading this post and did not see the words return date, round trip, duration, etc. round trip may have been implied but it was not explicit. i took it as a dates of departure to search through from 3-5 march from DEN-LAX since a round trip was not specified and it was such a short trip otherwise. I don't see the need to be so obtuse.

Also, i feel for the WN passengers as i've been through operational meltdowns myself courtesy UA and they are absolute misery. To just cr** on OAL is throwing stones from a glass house in some regard IMO. I think it's good to remember history and the risks in the system for all airlines and take some lessons/harden their systems.. it's not a problem until it's your problem so to speak.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: *
I'm reading this post and did not see the words return date, round trip, duration, etc. round trip may have been implied but it was not explicit. i took it as a dates of departure to search through from 3-5 march from DEN-LAX since a round trip was not specified and it was such a short trip otherwise. I don't see the need to be so obtuse.
Does it really matter though? Not sure how all this affects the essence of the thread. Doesn't really matter how much a hypothetical flight cost. That isn't the reason thousands got stranded this week and tens of thousands didn't. I think whichever way we assume (that WN is cheaper, equivalent or more expensive, less value, same value, more value, than UA/AA/DL) it really doesn't change whatever each of us choose to believe.
seat38a likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
It is for people with A-List status. Southwest used to board families after group A but before group B. Now they are going to experiment with moving them to before group A but allegedly enforce they can only sit behind the exit exit rows back of the plane. Good luck with FA's enforcing those rules. Say goodbye to exit row access. I can already see parents sitting in exit row and then putting their kids in the row behind or in front.
If that ever does happen, I guess it would be the equivalent of E+ poaching weve all seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.