Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If it were me, I'd look for a cheap flight somewhere close so I would not have to worry about it.
or
Originally Posted by wiki
You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I just flew an itinerary that the app said would earn 846 PQP (I have a screenshot). I only earned 829 PQP (which when I look at the ticket receipt is the base fare/surcharge amount).

I’m now at 13,485 (37 PQF) vs 13,502.

Will UA grant me the additional PQP because of what the app said, or should I just find another flight to take?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by D582

Will UA grant me the additional PQP because of what the app said, or should I just find another flight to take?
It doesn't hurt to ask and hope for the best.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:50 pm

Trying to get 4 segments cheap out of IAH before 2023

Business travel changed and now I am 4 segments short of requalifying for premier for next year. Based out of IAH, so the options are many but time is working against me as holiday travel is $$. Any ideas of how to search for cheap flights to do a segment run in a day?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
United.com has the handy feature of searching for exactly this. Go to the home page, scroll halfway down and viola. You can input IAH as your departure, dates you're willing to travel and the price you're willing to pay. It will find you flights.

And four segments can be done on one ticket in one day if you want to push it...definitely a one nighter at worst if needed.

-RM
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Wiki - [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2022 at 4:01 pm Reason: cleanup after merge, thanks for the link
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
Business travel changed and now I am 4 segments short of requalifying for premier for next year. Based out of IAH, so the options are many but time is working against me as holiday travel is $$. Any ideas of how to search for cheap flights to do a segment run in a day?
Google flights. You can choose starting airport and then pick any geographic area like USA. You can filter by airline/alliance and max price. You can find the cheapest cities to fly to from IAH and compare what flights spit out.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
United 1K Premier Status is pretty much worthless with United selling your earned upgrades out from under you to someone else at a lower price than what they offer you. I have died at #1 on the upgrade list with worthless Puss Points dozens of times this year. UA would rather sell my seat for $29.00 to a nobody while demanding $252.00 from me for the same seat!!!!

On Friday, I will have 800 USELESS Plus Points. My 2 MM "status", my millions in spend mean NOTHING to United. Not to mention the spend that I paid for and/or directed to Continental and United and many alliance partners.
2ptraveler likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
I'm also based out of IAH. If you're wanting to accomplish this in less than a day, I'd suggest a one way flight to AUS, SAT, DFW or MSY. Then a one way from one of those to another. All of them will force you to connect thru IAH. Then back to IAH.

You should be able to arrive at IAH around 7 or 8 and be driving back home by 4 or 5pm spending about $400-500.

You could also drive to Austin really early (or spend the night at a nearby hotel if you have points you're willing to burn - I know you said you're looking to spend as little cash as possible) and book a round trip ticket from there to MSY or DFW for $300ish ($286 on 12/31, $321 on 12/21). That would get you 4 segments and you'd be back home around sunset. You could depart AUS at 07:15 and be back on the ground 4 segments later at 3:30PM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I just did a status run and spent $$$ and 48 hours in order to get Gold status for next year. Now I see that United has shortchanged me by over 100 PQPs, putting me 50 below the target.
Even the https://pqp.economiles.com calculator agrees that I was shortchanged:
Departure Arrival Airline Class Miles Earn Bonus RDM PQP PQF
NRT KUL NH S 3,357 50% 100% 3,358 336 1
United gave me 239 PQPs. When I checked the PQPs at the time of booking (and when I try to rebook a similar flight now - it was SFO-NRT-KUL) it is always well over 300 PQPs.
Can anyone tell me where to find the United source to prove that I didn't get enough PQPs for this ANA flight? Many thanks.

Second edit: When I look at my activity on MyUnited, I see:
  • Activity detailsNH 815 NRT - KUL
    pqf1
    pqp239
    Award Miles2,629 miles
Tokyo (NRT) - Kuala Lumpur(KUL)
NH 815 NRT-KUL S S 0162450927974 815 | S Class
Base miles: 2,629
Bonus miles earned: 0
Total miles earned: 2,629

I have no idea why they are saying that a flight of over 3500 miles is only 2629 miles (maybe the pilot took a shortcut?!) but even then they are dividing the miles by more than 10 to get the PQPs. Why??

Edit: according to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html I should get
"Preferred partner | Premier qualifying point(s) = Award miles / 5"
I don't know why the calculator only gives me one-tenth of the award miles (probably because of the 50% earn) but even that would be enough for me.
United instead gave me 239/3357 = a measly 7% of the miles travelled. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks again.

Last edited by rbakker; Dec 11, 2022 at 12:29 am
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
Even the https://pqp.economiles.com calculator agrees that I was shortchanged:
You have a 016 ticket, so the calculator is irrelevant. Your earnings are based upon the fare paid.

Can anyone tell me where to find the United source to prove that I didn't get enough PQPs for this ANA flight? Many thanks.
The only source will be your receipt. Values you're seeing for a current flight don't mean anything, as the fare may have changed.

Tokyo (NRT) - Kuala Lumpur(KUL)
NH 815 NRT-KUL S S 0162450927974 815 | S Class
Base miles: 2,629
Bonus miles earned: 0
Total miles earned: 2,629

I have no idea why they are saying that a flight of over 3500 miles is only 2629 miles (maybe the pilot took a shortcut?!) but even then they are dividing the miles by more than 10 to get the PQPs. Why??
UA mileage earnings haven't had anything to do with the distance in a decade. I'm not sure why it's saying 2629 miles; it should be saying 1195 miles and then 1434 bonus miles, but maybe it treats NH flights differently than it would the similar UA flight. As a 1K, you get 11x the fare -- so $239 in fare * 11 = 2,629 miles.

Directly from that page:

For ticket numbers beginning with 016, MileagePlus members will earn Premier qualifying point(s) equal to the fare
What you can do is look at your original receipt and add up the PQP listed, then compare them to the PQP you received. If there's a shortfall, that's where you'd need to address it. If not, then UA didn't shortchange you.
SPN Lifer and rbakker like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Was this a UA 016 ticket or NH 205 ticket?
appears to be 016 ticket so distance is not relevant but rather allocated fare.

What was posted on the receipt for PQPs?
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:49 am

It was a United ticket, so 016. Thanks to jsloan for explaining.
If I look at the original email, it doesn't say what the PQPs are but I checked them very carefully before booking. I'll see if I can find them somewhere else.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:52 am

It was a United ticket, so 016. Thanks to jsloan for explaining.
If I look at the original email, it doesn't say what the PQPs are but I checked them very carefully before booking. I'll see if I can find them somewhere else.
What was the airfare (ticket minus taxes and fees)? is that what you got for the whole trip? Individual segments don't really matter (if all in a calendar year).
Old Dec 11, 2022, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What was the airfare (ticket minus taxes and fees)? is that what you got for the whole trip? Individual segments don't really matter (if all in a calendar year).
I'm still trying to figure that out. I was using travel credits and as a result the same booking code (PxxxxT) has been used for different flights - I had to cancel a few along the way for various reasons.
Nevertheless, when I purchased the ticket a significant number of additional PQPs were promised above and beyond what I received.

EDIT: Okay, I looked in Past Trips and found the receipt. It has Airfare listed as $1000 and then various taxes, adding up to a total of 1196.60
The receipt doesn't mention PQPs. I received 937 PQPs. When I booked it I am (almost) sure it said I would get 1156 PQPs but I can't prove it. Is 937 reasonable? I need another 50.

EDIT2: I've tried looking at the same flight in different days at various fares and in every case the airfare dollar amount differs from the PQPs by at most 5. I can't understand why I missed out on 63 PQPs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2022 at 11:20 am Reason: best not to publicly release PNR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.