Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgendel18
Great question...I am not really sure as I know the program has become watered down this year. I am planning more international travel for 2023 so any benefits would be a boost.
You get the main benefit for international travel (*G lounge access) already. I wouldn't see the step up as worth money except in some uncommon cases.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sgendel18
Great question...I am not really sure as I know the program has become watered down this year. I am planning more international travel for 2023 so any benefits would be a boost.
Do the research and see if the incremental benefits are worth the additional spend for your situation.

You could also save the $1K for next year.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What Plat benefit do you think is worth spending at least $1k for?
Depending on the routes and with how many people it is with. Being able to do 8 E+ companions over 2 can be worth it alone in those waived seat fees.

Just a quick search: random ORD-HNL December outbound, January return has the lowest E+ at $214 per person per direction. At 5 people travelling, the additional 3 fees waived from platinum status over gold would be at least 642 per direction in saved fees, or 1284 total. I think since we fail to see the seat fees when they're waived, we forget how much value is contained in that benefit alone.

Edit: Now that I think about it, kind of surprised UA doesn't tell you how much you're saving in seat fees when you select it on the seat map. Seems like it could be an easy way to remind people part of the value they're getting from their status, that we often take for granted.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Nov 21, 2022 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Depending on the routes and with how many people it is with. Being able to do 8 E+ companions over 2 can be worth it alone in those waived seat fees.
I would guess that, conservatively speaking, 99.999% of travelers have never been part of a 9-person PNR.

However, I would also point out that those who are affected can purchase a global, eight-companion E+ subscription for, IIRC, somewhat less than $1000.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
I would guess that, conservatively speaking, 99.999% of travelers have never been part of a 9-person PNR.
The Brady Bunch comes to mind.

David
jsloan and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am 1334 PQP's short of 1K for 2023. I have segments booked in Z class before the end of the year:

My home airport to a hub
the hub to a city in Europe
A *A partner to the Middle East

For whatever reason, the website, app and e-mail invoice don't show the PQP I will earn. So I reached out to UA in chat and they gave me an answer that can't be right based on the value of my ticket. The partner flights can easily be calculated to around 400 based on miles flown divided by 6, so that gets me to needing 934. Based on past flights, the flight from my home airport to the hub usually gets me around 200, but that's usually D class, so I am not sure how much Z will reduce it.

I don't want to come up short because I could make a mileage run before I travel for work next month. Thoughts from the experts?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
I am 1334 PQP's short of 1K for 2023. I have segments booked in Z class before the end of the year:

My home airport to a hub
the hub to a city in Europe
A *A partner to the Middle East

For whatever reason, the website, app and e-mail invoice don't show the PQP I will earn. So I reached out to UA in chat and they gave me an answer that can't be right based on the value of my ticket. The partner flights can easily be calculated to around 400 based on miles flown divided by 6, so that gets me to needing 934. Based on past flights, the flight from my home airport to the hub usually gets me around 200, but that's usually D class, so I am not sure how much Z will reduce it.

I don't want to come up short because I could make a mileage run before I travel for work next month. Thoughts from the experts?
It’ll depend on what ticket stock it’s all on - if it’s UA 016 then you’ll earn entirely based on spend. If not, or a mix, it’ll be different
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by United747
It’ll depend on what ticket stock it’s all on - if it’s UA 016 then you’ll earn entirely based on spend. If not, or a mix, it’ll be different
The UA flights are on 016 stock. The total round trip ticket is about $4800

I’m just concerned the segments flown in 2022 won’t be enough (the return is next year.)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA flights are on 016 stock. The total round trip ticket is about $4800

I’m just concerned the segments flown in 2022 won’t be enough (the return is next year.)
With details, hard to help

For each segment, what is UA showing? Which year are they flown? Fare class may help also.

The trip should earn >4K PQPs but the split between years is what is important.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With details, hard to help

For each segment, what is UA showing? Which year are they flown? Fare class may help also.

The trip should earn >4K PQPs but the split between years is what is important.
Thanks for your help.

3 segments I described above are in December 2022 (the 2 flights on UA metal and 016 stock and the other on a partner stock/flight.) Z Class in 2022 and D in 2023.

The other flights are in 2023.

UA doesn’t show any sort of split for the flight and cost. Just the total amount. I appreciate any insight anyone has.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thanks for your help.

3 segments I described above are in December 2022 (the 2 flights on UA metal and 016 stock and the other on a partner stock/flight.)

UA doesn’t show any sort of split for the flight and cost. Just the total amount. I appreciate any insight anyone has.
These don't help much. With millions of fare combinations, you need to post something more - e.g. fare rule, itinerary without the identifying information.

What does the confirmation email say? Not that it is what to go by, but at least it gives you some guidance.

Without any substance info, you should be okay assuming outbound ans return have same fare buckets.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... UA doesn’t show any sort of split for the flight and cost. ....
You are sure there was nothing on the post booking receipt? even for the UA flights? Go to your online itin and have UA email you a new receipt, fins this line

If all the fares in 2022 are Z and all the return in 2023 are D. You will not have an even split, more will post in 2023

As this is all on UA ticket, it will be all about the fare split.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 22, 2022 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for your help.

3 segments I described above are in December 2022 (the 2 flights on UA metal and 016 stock and the other on a partner stock/flight.) Z Class in 2022 and D in 2023.

If you pull it up in the United app, do you see anything like the below when you click “accruals for this trip”?

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by United747
If you pull it up in the United app, do you see anything like the below when you click “accruals for this trip”?

Oh how I wish it did.

I've noticed that it seems when it comes to multi-carrier itineraries, the United app/website won't display a PQP calculation. The MP website doesn't even show it as a future trip. Yet, it is listed in My Trips and and all the United metal is on a 016 ticket and there is also a *A ticket. Some limitation of the system, I suppose.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh how I wish it did.

I've noticed that it seems when it comes to multi-carrier itineraries, the United app/website won't display a PQP calculation. The MP website doesn't even show it as a future trip. Yet, it is listed in My Trips and and all the United metal is on a 016 ticket and there is also a *A ticket. Some limitation of the system, I suppose.
What does the email confirmation say?

We are not mind readers, so if you are not willing to share more information, we can't give you any definitive information. If outbound and return have mirror fare buckets, then the best estimate would just be 50/50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.