Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Not that I know of, but in this case I hope -if I indeed did- that it will stick.
If this was a mistake, what's the likelihood they'll notice and remove it and refund the money, BUT therefore also remove my 1K for 2023?
Typically I think chance is low if you don't draw attention to it. If you did pay for it, while it was a mistake from a general perspective, there wouldn't be reason to pull back the PQP, and I'm sure they'll be happy to keep the money.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Typically I think chance is low if you don't draw attention to it. If you did pay for it, while it was a mistake from a general perspective, there wouldn't be reason to pull back the PQP, and I'm sure they'll be happy to keep the money.
I just checked the receipt: I DID pay $35 for Economy Plus!!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked the receipt: I DID pay $35 for Economy Plus!!!
Turns out the mis-applied E+ charge is a feature not a bug! 😅
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Turns out the mis-applied E+ charge is a feature not a bug! 😅
Haha, no kidding.
BEST $35 for nothing I ever spent!
SPN Lifer, drewguy and 2ptraveler like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You get a cash buy up offer in January althought $1,800 may be too much of a gap

Also, in January you can try for a once-in-a-lifetime exception to retain present status due to the illness and past history but that will not include PlusPoints
Is the exception only once in a lifetime?

I had my 1k extended in 2019 after the birth of my daughter meant i ended the year on about 20% short of the requalifying threshold due to spending time at home. I emailed 1k voice in the December with a copy of her birth certificate and status extension was confirmed the next day.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Haha, no kidding.
BEST $35 for nothing I ever spent!
Attached Images  
Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jpm81
Is the exception only once in a lifetime? ... .
For status extension, that's what UA has said in the past. Guess we will need to wait to hear if anyone has gotten more.

There are other exceptions / waivers, but for status extension have not heard of anyone getting a second (at least since the merger -- records may have not been retained of earlier cases)

UIA provided wholesale status extensions in 2021 and some in for 2022. No sure of UA's mood for more exemptions.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:54 pm

Hi team, qq, I am missing 700 PQP, will buying TravelBank credit earn me PQP?
Dont have any United Credit Cards.
Cheeers
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTDDD
Hi team, qq, I am missing 700 PQP, will buying TravelBank credit earn me PQP? ...
No, not until they are used to purchase then fly.

There is a summary at the top of the thread on ways to earn PQPs

If you don't want to / can not fly, then
You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

What status level are you short of? And why do you want status?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 5:41 pm

No, not until they are used to purchase then fly.

What status level are you short of? And why do you want status?
Thank you, WineCountry. These days I'm a lowly silver trying to requalify for the same
Mostly for the free luggage and better treatment.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by FTDDD
.... Mostly for the free luggage and better treatment.
A $95 Credit card for a bag and Boarding Group 2 and then purchase E+ Subscription (which provides E+ access at booking, well before check in) for $599 might be an alternative.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
A $95 Credit card for a bag and Boarding Group 2 and then purchase E+ Subscription (which provides E+ access at booking, well before check in) for $599 might be an alternative.
That $95 annual card also gets two club passes. First time members also have lots of miles options if you hit the spend (I've seen 70K or higher offers). that could be 2-3 flights.

I still carry one in addition to my UA Club/Infinite card as it's worth it to me to be able to gift those passes to friends and family flying solo on UA.

I got tired of middle E+ seats at check-in before making gold/plat/1K the last 8(?) years and the spend up to get into E+ through the year easily exceeded the cost of the E+ subscription.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 2ptraveler (Post # 342)
I got tired of middle E+ seats at check-in before making gold/plat/1K the last 8(?) years and the spend up to get into E+ through the year easily exceeded the cost of the E+ subscription.
As a MileagePlus Premier Silver for the past several years, mostly as a Marriott Bonvy Titanium Elite, I would prefer an E- aisle to an E+ middle seat.

However, this year I barely re-qualified by 58 PQP. For the first time since joining MileagePlus in 1984, I purchased an E+ seat, on a NRT-SFO flight. It turned out I had a whole 3-seat row to myself, on a quite full plane.
narvik and Repooc17 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA*G
Yikes, after Gold for the past 5 years it looks like I'll be ~550 PQP short (16/16 flights), with no chance to do another trip this year (other than, perhaps, a domestic LH trip). Since I'm based out of MUC now, the main perk is *G status (early boarding and addt'l luggage for when the bike travels with me). Seems like the best shot would be to book & cancel a domestic flight and pay for a Premier Accelerator to the tune of ~$700?

(not doing more purchases through the Explorer card really bites me now)
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by h_ko
Yikes, after Gold for the past 5 years it looks like I'll be ~550 PQP short (16/16 flights), with no chance to do another trip this year (other than, perhaps, a domestic LH trip). Since I'm based out of MUC now, the main perk is *G status (early boarding and addt'l luggage for when the bike travels with me). Seems like the best shot would be to book & cancel a domestic flight and pay for a Premier Accelerator to the tune of ~$700?

(not doing more purchases through the Explorer card really bites me now)
You should double check and see if a domestic LH trip would be sufficient. Don't believe so.

Credit card would require 12K USD spend for 500 PQP.

With the increase UA requirements for next year, would it be easier to collect via LH, given your current location?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.