Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)

I know it is still early in the year, but I'm currently on track for about 12,162 PQP and 12 PQF. I signed up for one of the cards that allow me to earn PQP, but that only count towards 1k status on the 13,500 PQP + 36 PQF criterium (not for the 15,000 PQP criterium, with no PQF requirement)

I would like to stay at 1k, but I don't really want to pay $2900 for an international Mileage Run, just for the benefits of 1k.

So - I'm wondering about a low-cost and low-effort way to earn 24 PQF. Any ideas?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by hermiehug
So - I'm wondering about a low-cost and low-effort way to earn 24 PQF. Any ideas?
Unless UA offers a promo like they did in Q4 2021 with the "Fly to the Finish" granted 2(?) PQF for CC spend, your only available option to earn PQFs are by physically flying 24 segments.

Low-cost is going to be relative to the flights you find and just booking far enough in advance is usually your best option for a run there.

What would you qualify as low-effort?

Shortest time you want to spend in the air on those 24 segments?

Most-desirable aircraft/seat you want to be in 24 times?

Highest density of scheduled flights that you could reliably plan to complete as many PQFs/day?

Or a particular hub(s) you'd really like to visit 12 times?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked this in another thread but got no response -- I hope it's ok to ask here as well.

Are segments on UA bulk tickets subject to the same PQP caps (1500 / 750 depending on CoS) as other distance-based earnings? Or do those caps only apply to partners?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Unless UA offers a promo like they did in Q4 2021 with the "Fly to the Finish" granted 2(?) PQF for CC spend, your only available option to earn PQFs are by physically flying 24 segments.

Low-cost is going to be relative to the flights you find and just booking far enough in advance is usually your best option for a run there.

What would you qualify as low-effort?

Shortest time you want to spend in the air on those 24 segments?

Most-desirable aircraft/seat you want to be in 24 times?

Highest density of scheduled flights that you could reliably plan to complete as many PQFs/day?

Or a particular hub(s) you'd really like to visit 12 times?
Yes, sadly I understand that this would require 24 physical take-off & landings. :-(
Ideally I'd like to get a special to fly many segments in one day, and I'm even willing to do a red-eye to get back to the East Coast. What I see on ITAsoftware / United website seems to be more than $200 for 4 PQF (e.g. ATL-IAD-LGA-IAD-ATL), so that would cost me $1200 for 24 PQF. That would cost 6 days of my life, and the price seems steep for the benefits of 1k over Platinum. (I already have 1MM = lifetime gold, and will achieve Platinum with my currently ticketed trips.)

Back to your question: ideally I'd like to complete 8 PQFs per day, at a cost of <$350. So my 24 PQF would cost me 3 days of my life + ~$1000. I don't care which planes and/or which airports.

And maybe the answer is to wait until later in the year, when United may announce some specials for earning additional PQFs.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, sadly I understand that this would require 24 physical take-off & landings. :-(
Ideally I'd like to get a special to fly many segments in one day, and I'm even willing to do a red-eye to get back to the East Coast. What I see on ITAsoftware / United website seems to be more than $200 for 4 PQF (e.g. ATL-IAD-LGA-IAD-ATL), so that would cost me $1200 for 24 PQF. That would cost 6 days of my life, and the price seems steep for the benefits of 1k over Platinum. (I already have 1MM = lifetime gold, and will achieve Platinum with my currently ticketed trips.)

Back to your question: ideally I'd like to complete 8 PQFs per day, at a cost of <$350. So my 24 PQF would cost me 3 days of my life + ~$1000. I don't care which planes and/or which airports.

And maybe the answer is to wait until later in the year, when United may announce some specials for earning additional PQFs.
Earnings call today was incredibly bullish. I wouldn’t bank on any promos
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I know it is still early in the year, but I'm currently on track for about 12,162 PQP and 12 PQF. I signed up for one of the cards that allow me to earn PQP, but that only count towards 1k status on the 13,500 PQP + 36 PQF criterium (not for the 15,000 PQP criterium, with no PQF requirement)

I would like to stay at 1k, but I don't really want to pay $2900 for an international Mileage Run, just for the benefits of 1k.

I'd suggest by posting to the following thread what you're trying to accomplish (and remember to use the template in its wiki): UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

And, as a Bay Area UA flyer, consider the following: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34107319-post37.html. If you decide to re-position to take advantage of the proximity of airports on the East Coast, Kmxu has specific tips here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34078215-post31.html.

David
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHX-LAS can be cheap and requires transiting SFO or LAX as UA does not fly directly. Unfortunately the cheap fares generally have routing rules that only allow transiting one and not both (even though the fare rules allow 2 stops, the routing rules won't). I'm not sure if it's better or worse than SFO-LAX-LAS. The latter could be used to reposition for the former if the times work out.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... So - I'm wondering about a low-cost and low-effort way to earn 24 PQF. Any ideas?
PQFs are pretty much just flight segments.

There is a higher PQP requirement without PQFs for each level.

Depending your flights, SDCing domestic flights to add a connection can provide additionally PQFs
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Quick question and sorry if this is the wrong thread.. I did do a search to try and find something more applicable but failed..so MANY PQF sand PQP threads!.

Having not really needed to do any mileage running for years, what with airfares as high as they are (and buying much more premium cabin seating than historical) I have a question about buying and paying for United metal tickets on a qualifying credit card and buying and paying for tickets and FLYING.. My wife is doing a lot more travel these days than I and I’m thinking about putting all HER tickets on MY Quest card for mileage earning and hopefully, PQP earning to one (my) account.. If I buy the tickets but I am NOT the one flying, do the PQP $$ spent count towards MY PQP earning requirement this year to hit Plainium (currently 10K$) where I’m already at $5300 on spend but all those tickets and flights were my spend for my AND her flights (traveling together)

Does the PQP spend on a qualifying credit card accrued to the account associated with the credit card regardless of if that person/mileage plus account is the one doing the actual flying?

I know I had I think a FOUR PQF requirement listed, but of course have fulfilled that already and will do SOME additional flying but not another 20 PQF…so I’m targeting what appears to be a PQP of 10K instead to qualify for Platinum

TIA for any response and MOD feel free to move this if you think there is a better suited thread
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Quick question and sorry if this is the wrong thread.. I did do a search to try and find something more applicable but failed..so MANY PQF sand PQP threads!.

Having not really needed to do any mileage running for years, what with airfares as high as they are (and buying much more premium cabin seating than historical) I have a question about buying and paying for United metal tickets on a qualifying credit card and buying and paying for tickets and FLYING.. My wife is doing a lot more travel these days than I and I’m thinking about putting all HER tickets on MY Quest card for mileage earning and hopefully, PQP earning to one (my) account.. If I buy the tickets but I am NOT the one flying, do the PQP $$ spent count towards MY PQP earning requirement this year to hit Plainium (currently 10K$) where I’m already at $5300 on spend but all those tickets and flights were my spend for my AND her flights (traveling together)

Does the PQP spend on a qualifying credit card accrued to the account associated with the credit card regardless of if that person/mileage plus account is the one doing the actual flying?

I know I had I think a FOUR PQF requirement listed, but of course have fulfilled that already and will do SOME additional flying but not another 20 PQF…so I’m targeting what appears to be a PQP of 10K instead to qualify for Platinum

TIA for any response and MOD feel free to move this if you think there is a better suited thread
PQP for flying goes to the person who flies.

PQP for spend -- 500 PQP per $12K in spending, capped at 1000 for the Explorer and 3000 (IIRC) for the Quest -- goes to the primary account holder on the credit card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The flight PQPs flown by others will not count for you even if you book them from your account, those PQPs go to the traveler.

The credit card purchases PQPs can be from any purchase made with the card, does not need to be for travel or travel by you.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:32 am

how to earn 320 pqp

Thanks to an expensive ticket, I am only 320 PQP away from UA Gold. The main goal is to get the extra leg room at booking and *A lounge benefits. I already got my 1000 PQP from the UA biz card but looking for any other way to get those missing points without flying. We have one RT SFO-ZRH in business but we're using miles on it.

I could not find anything online, but any ideas how to get those missing points? Does a mileage ticket count as one of the 4 minimum segments you need to fly?

Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
4 min segments needs to be on a ticket that earns miles. Award tickets don't count.

You might be able to buy an award accelerator w/ the award ticket which might be one way to get to the missing 320 PQP w/o flying.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:41 am

PQPs can be earned by
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by our Star Alliance™ partners
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • Chase MP credit card purchases bonus
  • Purchasing Premier Accelerator PQPs

Two immediate ideas
Purchasing E+ seating for your upcoming flights if in economy
Purchasing a cash upgrade, even on a award flight (in business already)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2022 at 10:48 am Reason: (in business already)
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:46 am

Thank you both for the ideas, we'll look into the upgrade options!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.