Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker
We're trying to juggle our upcoming flights in order to make Silver and Gold respectively. It looks like my wife will end up a measly 7 PQPs short for Silver. I looked at using Award Accelerator on a fictitious flight that we could then cancel (I believe that's a possibility) but it seems to force you to pay for miles and then PQPs. The cheapest we've found so far is about $500 (for 300 PQP or so), which is way too much. Any ideas of another way to do it. We're based in Edmonton and will be making a KUL-YEG-BKK flight in thenext few weeks, if that helps.

Thanks!
To purchase PQPs, best to look for a short, low costs OW trips --- IAH-AUS, SFO-LAX, ... out in the future when prices are low
Note costs for PQPs does tend to rise late in the year and waiting is likely to mean higher costs

More in
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]

Originally Posted by JWskiman

Thanks to anyone who can help me make some sense of this or give me some guidance on how to correct it.
First you need to remove all UA operated flights, the calculator does not work for them. They will be based on fares, not distance

Was the ticket issued by UA, 016 ticket stock? If yes, then all flights will be fare and the calculator can not be used.
If yes, the allocation between segments can be weird so you need to wait until every segments posts and look at the totals

If the ticket was not UA, such as 220 / LH, then the calculator can be used for the non-UA flights

more in Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
See the wiki for using the calculator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 30, 2022 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
First you need to remove all UA operated flights, the calculator does not work for them. They will be based on fares, not distance
Dang, I never realized that it didn't calculate for UA operated flights. Big miss on my part, don't know how I missed it.

Was the ticket issued by UA, 016 ticket stock? If yes, then all flights will be fare and the calculator can not be used.
If yes, the allocation between segments can be weird so you need to wait until every segments posts and look at the totals

If the ticket was not UA, such as 220 / LH, then the calculator can be used for the non-UA flights.
Yes, the ticket began with 220 and was bought through LH. Looks like the UA team was half-right. I'll be earning more PQP than they claim, but less than I expected. Thanks for your knowledge, WineCountry. I feared I had made a mistake like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
"To purchase PQPs, best to look for a short, low costs OW trips --- IAH-AUS, SFO-LAX, ... out in the future when prices are low
Note costs for PQPs does tend to rise late in the year and waiting is likely to mean higher costs"

Thanks WineCountryUA! I tried that but can't find anything less than $350 or so, which seems extreme for 7 PQPs (and some other miles and PQPs which I don't need).
Any other ideas? I don't suppose asking United to let it slide ever works. I'd donate some of my PQP to her if I could.

Last edited by rbakker; Nov 30, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I don't suppose asking United to let it slide ever works. ....
Perhaps, but you will not know until 1 Feb
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:07 am

Any other ideas? I don't suppose asking United to let it slide ever works. I'd donate some of my PQP to her if I could.
Not sure if I overlooked what cabin you’re booked in on your upcoming flight, but can you buy her an economy plus seat? Or call and see what the fare difference is to go to the next highest fare?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have a friend who's going to be at something like 14,850 PQP. He has not shot at 36 PQF.

He has SFO-ORD-SFO beginning later today. He paid for an upgrade both ways ($299 each I think?). I know the 299x2 will count (and I've included it in the 14850).

He also has a long-haul international paid J for work - we can't touch this one.

Normally I'd suggest just upfaring one direction of the ORD trip for $150, but I'm not sure how that works with the paid upgrades. Is there any easy way to literally just throw $150 at UA for this trip without losing the $299 already paid each way?

Edit: Looks like I'm also spitting distance from Gold. I have a LH FRA-CPH in B class (014 ticket) I'm going to credit. But I also have a bid upgrade listed. The LH terms say "Higher mileage credit within the Miles & More frequent flyer programme". I really hope I get the B credit and not the P credit...

Last edited by canadiancow; Dec 2, 2022 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Looks like I'm going to end up short 2 PQF for Gold requalification. I think the easiest way is to book a cheap RT somewhere. The best that I can find on short notice is SEA-DEN for about $119 each way. Is there a cheaper alternative I've overlooked?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Looks like I'm going to end up short 2 PQF for Gold requalification. I think the easiest way is to book a cheap RT somewhere. The best that I can find on short notice is SEA-DEN for about $119 each way. Is there a cheaper alternative I've overlooked?
LAX-LAS round trip in Y on 12/18 goes for $191 total. Generally I've found LAX/SFO-LAS/RNO to be cheapest routes UA flies.

Edit $144 on 12/10 for the RT, or on 12/13 or 12/14. All same day returns. Use google flights to search, filter airline to UA and set carry on bags to 1 to filter out BE fares. The calendar will show you the prices so you can find what works best with your scheudle.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
LAX-LAS round trip in Y on 12/18 goes for $191 total. Generally I've found LAX/SFO-LAS/RNO to be cheapest routes UA flies.
I think the repositioning costs to LAX rule this one out for me.

I found SEA-DEN for $153 RT using my Break from Business discount, so that's what I'm holding for now. The schedule isn't great (5am outbound, 4pm return) but I figure I can probably try to SDC my way onto better flights.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I think the repositioning costs to LAX rule this one out for me.

I found SEA-DEN for $153 RT using my Break from Business discount, so that's what I'm holding for now. The schedule isn't great (5am outbound, 4pm return) but I figure I can probably try to SDC my way onto better flights.
Yes if you're going to for sure to go out of SEA then you're pretty much stuck with hubs, and of the 3 nearest to SEA, DEN is going to be the cheapest.
SPN Lifer and Polytonic like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I need to get my 4 PQF to maintain silver for 2023. I have the PQP.

Does a flight with a stop count as 1 or 2 flights? I'm thinking that it counts as 2, but want to make sure.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Need a few more letters to submit.
Mary2e and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Edit: Looks like I'm also spitting distance from Gold. I have a LH FRA-CPH in B class (014 ticket) I'm going to credit. But I also have a bid upgrade listed. The LH terms say "Higher mileage credit within the Miles & More frequent flyer programme". I really hope I get the B credit and not the P credit...
You can get that corrected later. If it clears before check-in then LH will usually report the upgraded cabin which might be P or higher.
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Is UA going to offer buy-ups this year for status? I'm going to be $90/2 segments short and I think it's worth buying up for the pluspoints. Will that be offered or do I need to find a super cheap day trip?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UAL250
Is UA going to offer buy-ups this year for status? I'm going to be $90/2 segments short and I think it's worth buying up for the pluspoints. Will that be offered or do I need to find a super cheap day trip?
There are no guarantees

If it were me, I'd look for a cheap flight somewhere close so I would not have to worry about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.