Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What does the email confirmation say?

We are not mind readers, so if you are not willing to share more information, we can't give you any definitive information. If outbound and return have mirror fare buckets, then the best estimate would just be 50/50.
Apologies for the lack of info, screenshot on the way when I get home.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:50 pm

OK my friends, here is the UA ticket in question. I mis-remembered the fare class, it is Z in both directions with the lone economy leg on the return.

Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All UA and no partners? No Middle East destination?

With the economy leg on the return but an OJ, it will not be 50/50 but I suspect it is safe to say at least 2K PQP for the outbound and probably more

The splits should be further down the receipt
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:20 pm

This is the UA receipt, the Middle East Flights are on partner stock (but part of the itinerary in the UA app.) Here is the rest of the e-mail receipt, in case anyone thinks I'm crazy.

Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
This is the UA receipt, the Middle East Flights are on partner stock (but part of the itinerary in the UA app.) ...
So you have separate tickets. The partner ticket will be a separate computation. That is an importnat detail

Just looking at the UA ticket, ignoring the separate partner ticket, I am fairly confident your will get more than the 1334 PQPs you need in 2022. The whole UA ticket is 4,800 PQPs

Here is the rest of the e-mail receipt, in case anyone thinks I'm crazy.
Re-request the UA receipt, see it it shows on the new receipt
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So you have separate tickets. The partner ticket will be a separate computation. That is an importnat detail

Just looking at the UA ticket, ignoring the separate partner ticket, I am fairly confident your will get more than the 1334 PQPs you need in 2022. The whole UA ticket is 4,800 PQPs

Re-request the UA receipt, see it it shows on the new receipt
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your expertise.

I have requested the receipt through the website, the app, etc. over 10 times and it always comes without the PQP calculation.

My theory? It's booked through a corporate travel agency, has multiple tickets on a single itinerary. It shows perfectly as a single itinerary in the UA app, but for some reason the PQP is left out on the receipt from UA.

I just flew a UA/LH/MS itinerary all on 016 stock and everything functioned as expected with the PQP on the e-mail.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Shoe-in to get you the required PQP for 2022 and then some. The outbound trip will have higher PQP than the return to due the final segment in economy. YQ (carrier surcharge) alone should split 850 on each side.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:44 pm

.... It's booked through a corporate travel agency, has multiple tickets on a single itinerary. .....
Yes that is a consequential piece of info -- multiple, separate tickets.

Do you have a separate receipt for the partner flights? UA can only issue tickets on UA ticket stock and is not aware of the other flights.

This is a nasty practice by some travel agencies, you do not have same irrops protection if a single
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Shoe-in to get you the required PQP for 2022 and then some. The outbound trip will have higher PQP than the return to due the final segment in economy. YQ (carrier surcharge) alone should split 850 on each side.
Thanks for that and thanks all for your help. I apologize for the frustrating lack of detail earlier, I assure you I am smarter than I look haha
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Domestic First Upgrade

I think the answer is "yes," but I wanted to get some peace of mind. I will be short 108 PQD to re-qualify for platinum. I've one more flight this year (in a few weeks) and an offer to upgrade to first on my ORD-CLE leg for $120. These count as PQD, right? Is it the whole amount or are there some taxes or whatever taken out?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mrmoo
I think the answer is "yes," but I wanted to get some peace of mind. I will be short 108 PQD to re-qualify for platinum. I've one more flight this year (in a few weeks) and an offer to upgrade to first on my ORD-CLE leg for $120. These count as PQD, right? Is it the whole amount or are there some taxes or whatever taken out?
Whole amount counts for premium cabin buyups, will be credited as a separate line item.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
105 PQP short of 1k...

So, looks like a change of plans created a fare difference (in my favor!) which is causing an arrears of $105 (ok, 105PQP) to requal for 1K next year. Drat!

The 280PP is worth that, so... what ways can this existing 1K figure out to purchase up to get the aforementoned pqp? Can't upfare existing flights without getting hit with something drastic. (it's international PE... next fare bucket is like $1k higher!).

Do things like wifi subscriptions or something count? What did they do in the far off past when folks were oh-so-close on PQP and just let you buy up at some usurious rate?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: United
Just call in and buy up to the next fare class or change flight and try each fare class until one suits your needs.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You can do premier accelerator as well to buy PQPs, but you'll need a dummy booking to try to get it as low as possible. Figure you're paying a $1/PQP so basically just throwing money at the problem.

How about a quick weekend trip or flight somewhere close?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jrquad
Just call in and buy up to the next fare class or change flight and try each fare class until one suits your needs.
​​​​​​As I said, R->A is not inexpensive. And I'm constrained with the TPAC choices. I don't have time for another flight (family!), so I guess premier accelerator it is on a dummy booking, or... Are there any other options for like $100? Do those wifi and/or club packages count? At least there is utility there ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.