Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For 2021, UA has extended all elites (including GS) 2020 status UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

However, if one is shooting for a higher status level and/or wanting to earn additional PlusPoints, the requirements have been reduced. This thread is to help those not quite meeting the new reduced requirements

Generally PQPs are earned flying but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo 2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020
Need in 2020 you can only use newer Chase MP credit card PQPs to achieve up to Plat status , not 1K ( Older PresPlus / Select / Plat card PQPs are good for 1K)
This status limit is being dropped in 2021 for all cards
2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
2020 Award Accelerator/Premier Accelerator Rates
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2020 UA MP elite status buy-up

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Previous years' thread --[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

For 2021, UA has extended all elites (including GS) 2020 status UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

However, if one is shooting for a higher status level and/or wanting to earn additional PlusPoints, the requirements have been reduced. This thread is to help those not quite meeting the new reduced requirements

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:13 pm

Mileage Run for PQP

I know they are protecting our status for 2021 but oddly I am close to an upgraded status if I can earn another 620 this year. Is there is a program to help me figure out the cheapest way to do that? (Home airport is EWR). Thanks in advance
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Using UA's new Map Search or Google Flights, the same underline technology
and if you what to go via a partner flight Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

also see Mileage Run Deals
and Mileage Run Discussion

and there is the non-flighting option -- United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2020]
see PQP without flying

and there is the credit card earning of PQP -- some are only good for Plat, some for 1K
2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2020 at 1:04 am Reason: more links
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by distrips
I know they are protecting our status for 2021 but oddly I am close to an upgraded status if I can earn another 620 this year. Is there is a program to help me figure out the cheapest way to do that? (Home airport is EWR). Thanks in advance
Other than the exceptions that WineCountryUA mentioned, PQP are designed to approximate dollars spent on airfare. The least expensive way to get 620 PQP is to buy a single, one-way domestic flight that costs about $680. A more practical, but slightly more expensive, way is to buy a round-trip ticket at about $690. Basically, UA assigns PQP values to the fare they receive after taxes are removed from the equation, so these price points will get you in the right ballpark. If you take multiple trips, the total spend required will increase, because there are some taxes and fees that are per-segment.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Using UA's new Map Search or Google Flights, the same underline technology
and if you what to go via a partner flight Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Partner flights are only possible if international travel is an option. However, they do represent a potential way to save money.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:01 am

EWR-BOS first class
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:22 am

Thanks! I do have 2000 points from a United Club Card. I was reading in the forum I should be able to get 3000 but I'm not seeing that anywhere on United or Chase to make it happen

I appreciate the options

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
EWR-BOS first class

Thanks

Originally Posted by jsloan
Other than the exceptions that WineCountryUA mentioned, PQP are designed to approximate dollars spent on airfare. The least expensive way to get 620 PQP is to buy a single, one-way domestic flight that costs about $680. A more practical, but slightly more expensive, way is to buy a round-trip ticket at about $690. Basically, UA assigns PQP values to the fare they receive after taxes are removed from the equation, so these price points will get you in the right ballpark. If you take multiple trips, the total spend required will increase, because there are some taxes and fees that are per-segment.

Partner flights are only possible if international travel is an option. However, they do represent a potential way to save money.
Thanks! I'm scheduled to fly (because I need to) this week, so I guess I'll compare this to an accelerator offer at check in.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2020 at 11:38 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thanks! I'm scheduled to fly (because I need to) this week, so I guess I'll compare this to an accelerator offer at check in.
You can do the accelerator offer now.

In fact when I needed some miles for the old thresholds for miles, I had done this. If you go into your reservation and accept the Accelerator offer..

I had not realized that you could use the Accelerator for PQP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:49 pm

if you're scheduled to fly, then do an upfare.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some accelerator offers do include PQP. Right now I have one for 5000 RDM and 700 PQP for $861. Not a great deal since spending $861 on a ticket would give me (1K) 9471 RDM and 861 PQP.

I second the comment to upfare your current tickets.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
Some accelerator offers do include PQP. Right now I have one for 5000 RDM and 700 PQP for $861. Not a great deal since spending $861 on a ticket would give me (1K) 9471 RDM and 861 PQP. ....
Actual it would not. $861 on separate airfare (or even for up-fare) will yield something less than $775 PQPs and 8,500 miles -- no PQP on taxes and TSA fees and ...
So the gap is smaller plus no use of of personal time. The upfare if you can find one without overshooting too much is the best solution -- also no extra time and a little better seat.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point, but the specifics of taxes/fees really depend on the ticket. I have a $530 all-in six segment circle trip coming up that yields 505 PQP. So the gap need not be as large as you suggest.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is there is a program to help me figure out the cheapest way to do that?
What an extremely odd question. PQP is basically how much you spend.

How can you earn PQP without spending more?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
Good point, but the specifics of taxes/fees really depend on the ticket. I have a $530 all-in six segment circle trip coming up that yields 505 PQP. So the gap need not be as large as you suggest.
For a domestic ticket (in normal times) there is a min 7.5% Fed Excise Tax plus $5.60 segment (max $11.20 per ticket), so if that was a domestic ticket -- it would be roughly 480 PQPs (depending on rounding) --- 0.905 of fare. And there may be some airport fees
However, the Federal exercise tax is presently suspended until 1/1/2021, so better PQP yields are presently possible.
Doppy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
What an extremely odd question. PQP is basically how much you spend.

How can you earn PQP without spending more?
I was reading some older threads about doing Star Alliance vs United for better PQP value so I thought there might be trick to a lower spend
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

I was reading some older threads about doing Star Alliance vs United for better PQP value so I thought there might be trick to a lower spend
For UA ticket, the PQPs are directly related to the fare you paid (except for BULK fares)
Partners it is a bit more complex -- miles traveled, fare class (multiplier) and some partners get a preferred partner bonus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
,,, and if you what to go via a partner flight Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
However or expensive tickets and cheap tickets, you usually get more PQPs from UA ticket. Premium economy and some discount business fares on partners may yield more PQPs. The referenced threads goes into much more detail on this.
distrips likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.