Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For 2021, UA has extended all elites (including GS) 2020 status UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by ½ for 2020

However, if one is shooting for a higher status level and/or wanting to earn additional PlusPoints, the requirements have been reduced. This thread is to help those not quite meeting the new reduced requirements

Generally PQPs are earned flying but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo 2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020
Need in 2020 you can only use newer Chase MP credit card PQPs to achieve up to Plat status , not 1K ( Older PresPlus / Select / Plat card PQPs are good for 1K)
This status limit is being dropped in 2021 for all cards
2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
2020 Award Accelerator/Premier Accelerator Rates
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2020 UA MP elite status buy-up

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2020 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Previous years' thread --[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: United
PQP need 32 for 1k....

So, my round trip SFO to PIT original schedule, I paid for the first leg upgrade which would have given me enough with the current trip for 1k.

Had to delay my trip and took a later flight... well, the original leg through DEN was enough for my 1k.. but new schedule is through IAD, which left me 32 short.

if wifi counted, I would have bought it.

Easiest way to earn 32 PQPs? I am trying to find either the cheapest RT or even one way. Wish they had a SFO to OAK or SJC...
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First - I honestly don't know why you have to become 1K, especially this year.

Second - PQP is based on the money you spent, not the route you take. So unless a refund has been triggered, it does not matter if you go through DEN or IAD.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Second - PQP is based on the money you spent, not the route you take.
Well.....

So unless a refund has been triggered, it does not matter if you go through DEN or IAD.
Not quite.

A voluntary change to a new, lower fare will not trigger a refund but will reduce the number of PQPs. There's not enough detail here to know whether or not OP has gotten the correct credit.

OP:
  1. When you say you "had to delay your flight," you're talking about a voluntary change, right? Did you change dates, cities, or both? Outbound, return, or both?
  2. Is travel on that trip already complete? Has everything posted?
  3. Were there any IRROPS along the way?
If you've already completed travel, and we can't find any missing PQP, then the cheapest way to get 32 PQP is probably going to be SFO-LAX, but pull up Google Flights and see.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I have a freind bases in Ord who needs 6 segments for under $300. My idea was to fly somewhere and have it be a 2 stop then fly back but all the destinations I’m looking at are 1 stops. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
How about this one? (assuming your friend doesn't mind hanging out at LAS overnight...or perhaps the Strip? )

Tried some random airports on ITA, and LAS came up as one that had a bunch of flights with 2 stops in each direction for <$300. However, I couldn't find anything same-day or overnight with convenient timing at all 5 connection points. The above one is actually priced CHI-LAX, LAX-LAS, LAS-MSP, MSP-CHI.
SPN Lifer, nnn and gsalem94122 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Are you willing to send me 240 PP for $32?
Xyzzy, drewguy and leoo like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Could be the OP is looking to step up or return to 1K in this year of greatly reduced requirements.
SPN Lifer, Lori_Q and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Best option is to block off a day on the calendar sometime between now and 31 Dec and grab a cheap fare to somewhere for a mileage run.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well.....

Not quite.

A voluntary change to a new, lower fare will not trigger a refund but will reduce the number of PQPs. There's not enough detail here to know whether or not OP has gotten the correct credit.

OP:
  1. When you say you "had to delay your flight," you're talking about a voluntary change, right? Did you change dates, cities, or both? Outbound, return, or both?
  2. Is travel on that trip already complete? Has everything posted?
  3. Were there any IRROPS along the way?
If you've already completed travel, and we can't find any missing PQP, then the cheapest way to get 32 PQP is probably going to be SFO-LAX, but pull up Google Flights and see.
yes, voluntary change. Work delayed my travel.

Yeah, I saw a few LAX routes. I saw a SMF also, I may go that route for a one way.

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Could be the OP is looking to step up or return to 1K in this year of greatly reduced requirements.
yeah, with the lower requirements, it would be nice to get 1k again. Been a PP for a while. Used to travel a bit.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2020 at 12:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I think getting 1K is worth it, especially when the spend you need to make is so low. And you'll get more starting PQPs (at least 3750) for next year.

Enjoy your MR! I wish I could leave the house and get on a plane!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:46 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s4alex
yes, voluntary change. Work delayed my travel.

Yeah, I saw a few LAX routes. I saw a SMF also, I may go that route for a one way.
If you can find SFO-STS I think that would be a sort of painless one-way as you can take the SMART train back towards SFO.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:32 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Could you buy Premier Accelerator on a future itinerary? Should credit right away. Not so cheap though.

I'm actually 1 PQF short of getting more PP for the year. But I don't see a way to get PQF without flying, which I don't plan to do the rest of the year.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you have//want to go somewhere, I would just buy through Premier Accelerator. Will probably cost more than a flight, but taking a flight costs a lot of time.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS
you can do a rt to LAS in BE for $91
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
SF-LAX same day return can be had for $77 in BE ($71 on Dec 24) ... $87 in plain economy December 28-31.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Dec 3, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by malgudi
Didn't realize this was a thing in 2020
This _is_ FlyerTalk - status is status!

David
bluedemon211 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.