Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Truly
I called United and the agent said PQPs count in the year the flight is flown. The website confirmed that. So if my ticket costs $600 and one leg is flown in December and the other in January, does that mean $300 PQP will count toward 2022 and $300 toward 2023?
Depends on the overall breakdown of the fare, since it's not necessarily evenly split. You also need to subtract out the taxes. Depending which fare you end up in on the outbound vs the return, it could be 375 outbound, 200 return for example,
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Depends on the overall breakdown of the fare, since it's not necessarily evenly split. You also need to subtract out the taxes. Depending which fare you end up in on the outbound vs the return, it could be 375 outbound, 200 return for example,
Thank you. Any idea where I could find that info?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Truly
Thank you. Any idea where I could find that info?
It is shown during the flight selection process and afterwards in the receipt for the bookings. Segments PQPs are shown separately
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Ill be about 500 pqps short of Platinum after a December trip (sfo-ord), which will net me 468 pqps. I went ahead and purchased a premium cabin upgrade to First for $519. Is there a place on the website or app that tells you how many pqps an upgrade will grant you? As of now, the reservation only lists the original 468. Id like to estimate how many pqps I will still need and plan accordingly.

If information is not available online, could an agent tell you? Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72
Ill be about 500 pqps short of Platinum after a December trip (sfo-ord), which will net me 468 pqps. I went ahead and purchased a premium cabin upgrade to First for $519. Is there a place on the website or app that tells you how many pqps an upgrade will grant you? As of now, the reservation only lists the original 468. Id like to estimate how many pqps I will still need and plan accordingly.

If information is not available online, could an agent tell you? Thanks
Premium cabin upgrades like that earn the full amount, as they don't have additional taxes as part of them. So $519 is how many PQP's additional will be earned.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Premium cabin upgrades like that earn the full amount, as they don't have additional taxes as part of them. So $519 is how many PQP's additional will be earned.
Thanks, very helpful
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:02 pm

Help With Earning 224 PQP's by Year End

Hello,
One of my work trips just got cancelled and I will now be 224 PQP's short of requalifying for Gold status. I know some people do not care for Gold status but I find it very useful as my wife and I are able to pick premium economy seats for free upon booking and I would definitely like to earn status again for 2023.

With that being said, I need ideas on how to earn the 224 PQP's that I am short. Any ideas?

I have one flight left in December but there is no option to upgrade to business as its sold out. I also have the United Infinite card if that makes a difference.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by trueblue101357
Hello,
One of my work trips just got cancelled and I will now be 224 PQP's short of requalifying for Gold status. I know some people do not care for Gold status but I find it very useful as my wife and I are able to pick premium economy seats for free upon booking and I would definitely like to earn status again for 2023.

With that being said, I need ideas on how to earn the 224 PQP's that I am short. Any ideas?

I have one flight left in December but there is no option to upgrade to business as its sold out. I also have the United Infinite card if that makes a difference.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
buy some premier accelerator with PQP? Check any current reservation for pricing.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Usually there is award accelerator option where they give you option to buy award miles and then dig another level and there is a PQP purchase option. Otherwise, you can try to take a PQP run. You don't list where your home airport is. I'm doing PQP and lifetime mileage weekend jaunts for the remainder of this year...

This thread will get merged with the main Wiki PQP needed master thread....
jcturnbull likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Usually there is award accelerator option where they give you option to buy award miles and then dig another level and there is a PQP purchase option. Otherwise, you can try to take a PQP run. You don't list where your home airport is. I'm doing PQP and lifetime mileage weekend jaunts for the remainder of this year...
I have heard about this PQP accelerator option but know nothing about it. Where is the best place to learn more about this option ( basically an ELI5 version)? I didn't find too much on the UA website.
My home airport is LAX. Do you think a mileage run in netter than the PQP accelerator option?

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is shown during the flight selection process and afterwards in the receipt for the bookings. Segments PQPs are shown separately
Thanks - took me a while but I found it.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You can prepay your taxes to get some bonus PQP...
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard about this PQP accelerator option but know nothing about it. Where is the best place to learn more about this option ( basically an ELI5 version)? I didn't find too much on the UA website.
My home airport is LAX. Do you think a mileage run in netter than the PQP accelerator option?

Thanks.
View your reservation and look for the offers. Find the 'accelerator' offer. You have to select award miles purchase, and then you can see an option to buy PQP.

Note also the front cabin might open up again for your December flight. Spending the money on a buy-up seems obviously preferable to throwing it straight at PQP, so if it were me, I'd hold off on the accelerator option for now.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Upfare your current reservation to whatever fare basis gets you the PQPs.
ani90 and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: *
I know some people do not care for Gold status but I find it very useful
Gold actually has the greatest incremental value of all the advertised elite level, with real benefits that otherwise wouldn't be obtainable with Silver. Definitely worth the 224 PQP in my opinion if you will be flying United and Star Alliance, even if just a few times, next year.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.