Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I watched the video twice and don't believe there was any mention of change fees or destinations. I do remember the "force for good" which they must have lisfted from that NAVY promo of years ago.

The whole campaign is all about the message "please feel good about us" or something like that. I don't see how that advances their cause in the end.
The “Anthem Film” is supposed to be emotional (see PR: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301547590.html), but does mention a “rescue story to save a connecting flight” at about 22 seconds.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
The “Anthem Film” is supposed to be emotional (see PR: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301547590.html), but does mention a “rescue story to save a connecting flight” at about 22 seconds.
Yes, I noticed that one (ConnectonSaver). It's a program they started three years ago.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes, I noticed that one (ConnectonSaver). It's a program they started three years ago.
At what timeframe should they exclude things?
Old May 17, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
And I swear I had read that United wa s planning to dial back ConnectionSaver as it was causing more trouble than it’s worth. Strange time to begin advertising it.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
At what timeframe should they exclude things?
Apparently it's less than a century ago because that's how they start the video and then nix it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with promoting ConnectionSaver. It's just the whole campaign comes across as a massive group hug and I struggle to see how that ultimately promotes UA, from a competitive standpoint, in the aviation world.

What timeframe would you use to answer your own question?
truncated likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Amargolis
And I swear I had read that United wa s planning to dial back ConnectionSaver as it was causing more trouble than it’s worth. ...
Where?
ConnectionSaver was highlighted in the recent quarterly analyst call by UA management.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:49 pm

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...version-anyone

This one slipped through the pandemic for me to be candid
Old May 17, 2022, 8:45 pm

Just saw my first “good leads the way” on my
hulu
Old May 17, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by myperks
Just saw my first “good leads the way” on my
hulu
Feel good about United?

David
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Feel good about United?

David
yes, for now because the progressive insurance ads are getting ridiculously repetitive.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tuolumne
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...version-anyone

This one slipped through the pandemic for me to be candid
This only applies for not to pay the Gershwin estate to use the piece, even though they have already paid for perpetual right to use it.

But yes, many signs already pointed to them not using Rhapsody in Blue in advertisements. But it does not preclude them from using the piece in other promotions.
tuolumne likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Evil follows the pack.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post # 3)
Confirmed:
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/com...s-the-way.html

Part of Press Release:
CHICAGO, May 16, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today launched a new, national campaign – "Good Leads The Way" – that tells the story of United's leadership in areas like customer service, diversity and sustainability, and captures the optimism fueling the airline's large ambitions at a time of unprecedented demand in air travel.

“Good Leads The Way”: United’s New Campaign Celebrates Employees Doing the Right Thing for Customers and Communities [Emphasis added.]
There is nothing "Good" about what UA did to its lifetime United Club members.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

UA really needs to work on its ethics.

​​​​​​No amount of advertising can cover up the moral rot that seems to be spreading throughout United Airlines.

Address the root problem first. Say what you mean and mean what you say! Keep your word.

Customers can see though a culture of lies.

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post # 24)
My interpretation of this campaign is a little different than most posted above. I think United is trying to signal to employees, fliers, shareholders (past, current & potential future) that they value "good", not meaning "adequacy", but meaning "moral good". I think the implication is that United values things beyond just dollars & cents, the physical realities of flying, etc. Whether this is a good (lolz) idea or not remains to be seen. But the criticism that United should be talking about "greatness" & not "good" is, I think, missing the point of this campaign. Again, whether this is a good idea (in both senses) I am not taking any position on.
Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post # 45)
Clearly the "Good" as intended in this campaign is the altruistic/virtuous "good", rather than adequate/sufficient "good". But it's a worthy criticism...
Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post # 59)
I get all that. But if you have to explain the meaning of your marketing slogan, you have failed. When people read "Good leads the way", the first thing that comes to mind is that they are fine being just adequate. This is an example of overthinking your communications, because all the explanation will not remove that simple and natural impression.
Originally Posted by physioprof (Post # 70)
I don't see any evidence that UA has to explain this new slogan to the people it is aimed at nor that it has failed to convey the intended message. . . . Maybe it will turn out that this slogan is, indeed, widely misunderstood, and maybe it will turn out that it's a "dud". But that remains to be seen.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post # 75)
I do remember the "force for good" which they must have lifted from that NAVY promo of years ago.
Evil follows the pack.

This would be a more factually accurate slogan.

UA is clearly trying to virtue signal and assert its moral superiority. This may indeed be an effective ad campaign strategy, if backed up by facts on the ground (and in the air).

Yet in its treatment of lifetime lounge members, UA clearly fell far behind AA and DL, making its advertising claim to be a force for "good" ring hollow indeed.

If the public becomes aware of or experiences other instances where UA lies, cheats, or steals, this ad campaign could backfire -- badly.

Over promising in the moral sphere is even worse than breach of implied expectations in business class dining, which most customers don't experience anyway. (Admittedly, far fewer are lifetime United Club members.)

Good leads the way, indeed. Yet unless some ethical leadership is implemented at UA, it might lead away from United Airlines.

Right now UA is the most dishonest of the big three.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 18, 2022 at 5:14 am
Old May 18, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Would I like United to provide the best customer service at every level? Sure, but let's face it. United is not advertising to those of us who have been around a long time.

I have been flying United for a long time - since before the advent of Mileage Plus in 1981. I am a Million + Miler, and I have lived through the glory days and the not so good days of loyalty programs. No matter how much I crave the rewards of loyalty and the service of the past, those days are gone. These days I am happy with just the basics: get me to my destination safely and near to scheduled arrival time. While flying is no longer "fun", and mileage runs are a thing of the past for me, I am thankful for what perks I still get - like early boarding, free bags, occasional upgrades, a good schedule of destinations that I want to go to when I need/want to, and an occasional full can of Diet Coke! Plus, I have discovered Amtrak, which I know also has its challenges - just like every other transportation provider.

In an age when Southwest, Spirit, and Frontier top popularity lists, United apparently wants to attract at least some of these people through a national advertising campaign.
evol likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
There is nothing "Good" about what UA did to its lifetime United Club members.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
You left out what they did to the original Million Milers and the court case where United basically argued, "customers should expect us to lie"

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Evil follows the pack.
Or they could just invert the Google slogan, and make it "Don't be good". Or they could steal the Delta slogan, "We get you there," except show a passenger picking up a bar of soap...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; May 18, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Making “good” on lifetime promises is firmly in last position in this campaign.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.