Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by char777
I didn't say it was perfect or that it's the best in the world, but UA is a better airline than it was during the darkest of the Smisek days.
During the, "darkest of the Smisek days", I was able to use all of my GPUs where now, I will have almost 800 PPs expire worthless in JAN, my CPU rate was around 80%, FAs regularly recognized my status and were motivated and gracious, Polaris meals and service were predictably good on my regular routes, and domestic F had, at least, an edible selection of entrees-a far cry from today.

The new United mission statement/marketing campaign can be summarized as follows:

"... a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
rch4u, DELee and JimInOhio like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
During the, "darkest of the Smisek days", I was able to use all of my GPUs where now, I will have almost 800 PPs expire worthless in JAN, my CPU rate was around 80%, FAs regularly recognized my status and were motivated and gracious, Polaris meals and service were predictably good on my regular routes, and domestic F had, at least, an edible selection of entrees-a far cry from today.
Smisek was gone 9 months before Polaris was announced and 15 months before the first Polaris equipped birds flew revenue flight

Smisek was around for Freshpoo
Old May 26, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Smisek was gone 9 months before Polaris was announced and 15 months before the first Polaris equipped birds flew revenue flight

Goalposts move. The all-aisle access on INTL widebodies was only an emerging feature or standard on airlines all over the world at the time. When CO introduced the Diamond seats many years before, they were about the best thing out there for J equipment as well. So, it's reasonalbe to think UA's J seating was going to evolve along with the rest of the airline industry whether they announced "Polaris" or not. And what was so great about Polaris anyway? The food still couldn't touch what TK and OS were offering, not to mention some of the Asian carriers.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Goalposts move.
take it up with this, which is what I responded to

Originally Posted by zombietooth
, Polaris meals and service were predictably good on my regular routes, and domestic F had, at least, an edible selection of entrees-a far cry from today.
Polaris never existed under Smisek. The putrid coffee did however (chosen by Smisek and his cronies). Simple as that
Old May 26, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

As someone who has never drunk coffee, I didn't notice and didn't care. The point of my comment is that the food was better back then in J. Nomenclature changes nothing in this argument.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I don't mind the decoupling of globe and log but i vehemently HATE the black instead of blue in the app and on the website. I find it so visually jarring that it feels unfinished, or as though the proper color/elements didn't load and black was what it fell back to. Really an awful look.

"Let's hire a branding and design firm (Priestman Goode), spend a ton of money branding everything, and then launch an ad campaign where we change our brand font and change up our logo so it no longer matches everything we've put out over the last 8 years."

Makes sense... right?
halls120 and char777 like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Amargolis
I don't mind the decoupling of globe and log but i vehemently HATE the black instead of blue in the app and on the website. I find it so visually jarring that it feels unfinished, or as though the proper color/elements didn't load and black was what it fell back to. Really an awful look.

"Let's hire a branding and design firm (Priestman Goode), spend a ton of money branding everything, and then launch an ad campaign where we change our brand font and change up our logo so it no longer matches everything we've put out over the last 8 years."

Makes sense... right?
Yeah I definitely agree that the black is not a good look. I think the reason I find it jarring is the contrast of the blue in the globe logo and the black is very sharp. Also it seems like the globe blue changed from before? Or maybe it just looks different because of the black.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by angetenar
Yeah I definitely agree that the black is not a good look. I think the reason I find it jarring is the contrast of the blue in the globe logo and the black is very sharp. Also it seems like the globe blue changed from before? Or maybe it just looks different because of the black.
I literally thought it was the old continental logo from before UA cleaned it up a bit... that's how ugly it looks. Bright blue on black. Ew.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Amargolis
This, x1000.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
is anyone else bothered by the neon blue logo thats in the title bar? It looks like a diff shade of blue (brighter) than what's on the app and boarding passes... why was this necessary to make it worse...

Last edited by bbmatt; May 28, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old May 27, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bbmatt
is anyone else bothered by the neon blue thats in the title bar? It looks like a diff shade of blue (brighter) than what's on the app and boarding passes... why was this necessary to make it worse...
Was it necessary? No. I think we all agree. Was it being lazy and treating dark blue as the new black? Probably.

David
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by char777
This seems to coincide with the "Good leads the way" campaign, but I thought this might be worth its own thread.

Has anyone else noticed that there appear to be some new brand guidelines? The globe seems to now always appear in a 2-color, white-on-blue application. In the past few years, it's usually been only seen in monochrome (white cutout over any kind of backdrop.) The blue also seems much brighter. The globe also looks a lot bigger and isn't appearing to the right of the wordmark anymore. On the website and app, it's to the left, and on the new ad campaigns, it's placed in all kinds of random places. Also, the addition of things in a pure black rather than navy seem unusual.

I'm sure 90% of the people on here probably don't care, and I'm sure those people will verbalize that, but I did find these changes interesting. I'm not sure if it's for the better as it seems like UA is all of the sudden introducing new elements after doing fairly well at coming up with a consistent look in the last 4-5 years. Just when you think UA will go for something visually consistent, they'll come up with something new and completely different that doesn't really match anything that came before it.
Great call outs. It would be very interesting to see what their internal branding guideline handbook has been updated to.

I do like the effort put into recognizing United as the US's de-facto flag carrier (if one had to be chosen).
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Goalposts move. The all-aisle access on INTL widebodies was only an emerging feature or standard on airlines all over the world at the time. When CO introduced the Diamond seats many years before, they were about the best thing out there for J equipment as well. So, it's reasonalbe to think UA's J seating was going to evolve along with the rest of the airline industry whether they announced "Polaris" or not. And what was so great about Polaris anyway? The food still couldn't touch what TK and OS were offering, not to mention some of the Asian carriers.
Remember when UAL unveiled IPTE in 2005, it was by far the US's new benchmark. It wasn't p.s. F slated SQ spacebeds / AMR's NGBC - this was fully flat seating, in both F and C. Flyertalk was happy!

UAL unveiled it on the 767-300ER, so the business class seating in 2-2-2 didn't look so bad. And the 1-1-1 in the 6-seat F-Cabin on that plane pictured very nicely and was the nicest hard product of any legacy carrier until AMR's Flagship suite on the 777 in 2012!

Of course the 744/772 2-4-2 sort of sullied IPTE's reputation and [sister] products like the B/E Diamond seats CO launched a few years later as you noted just tracked better in general with flyers even if it had it's own shortcomings.

Point being, times change quickly and the benchmark is always moving. AMR's NGBC was once the item to beat, beat by IPTE, then by B/E Diamond, then AMR 773 Cirrus, then Super Diamond, then UA Zodiac Polaris, then Delta One Suite, etc. It's always shifting and the differences aren't as large as they used to be a decade ago...

These are long term projects and asset procurements, to order for countless widebody's of a fleet much larger than United used to be. United sort of flipped the script with the innovative Polaris Lounge concept and their US brethren are following suit. The current Zodiac Polaris assets installed are "good enough" for the next decade or so IMO especially since they'll likely add a door at some point. Yes it's more dense than DL's new product, but look at how many planes United has Polaris on, and the number of J seats....no comparison right now - United wins in hard product at current in my opinion and I think is the best positioned from a hard product front v DL/AA, who ironically are now the ones suffering from the same inconsistency that UAL flyers complained about for seemingly decades.
PTahCha likes this.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jun 4, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:12 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bbmatt
is anyone else bothered by the neon blue logo thats in the title bar? It looks like a diff shade of blue (brighter) than what's on the app and boarding passes... why was this necessary to make it worse...
Regardless of the public's perception, this was a deliberate choice, as the United App icon has been matched with the same blue color.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Good Goes Around?

Did United retire "fly the friendly skies" again? The new ad campaign feels very random does not make me think of United at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.