Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Clearly the "Good" as intended in this campaign is the altruistic/virtuous "good", rather than adequate/sufficient "good". But it's a worthy criticism...

For those wondering why United didn't choose some loftier ideal, consider AA's since-abandoned "Going for Great" campaign circa 2015, which was pretty well panned and certainly did not lead to much greatness at all. Airline branding is tough...
I'd say they're actually leaning on the multiple senses of "good" — clearly the ESG components are altruistic or virtuous "good", but cf also the references to upgrading fleets and removing change fees, which are "good" as in nice things to have but not really morally upright.

However, as I suggested earlier in the thread, I think it winds up just communicating muddle rather than seeming clever or pleasing, as might perhaps have been hoped.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Here's my slogan: Quality, Comfort and Reliability.
Be careful what you wish for there. SMI/J's slogan was "Clean, Safe & Reliable"

"Smisek said he was focused on making sure that customers and workers are treated with "dignity and respect," while providing travelers with "clean, safe and reliable air transportation.""
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2..._says_res.html
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I received the email. A waste of effort in my opinion.
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I received the email. A waste of effort in my opinion.
Only if you took the time to read it
Old May 16, 2022, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I'd say they're actually leaning on the multiple senses of "good" — clearly the ESG components are altruistic or virtuous "good", but cf also the references to upgrading fleets and removing change fees, which are "good" as in nice things to have but not really morally upright.

However, as I suggested earlier in the thread, I think it winds up just communicating muddle rather than seeming clever or pleasing, as might perhaps have been hoped.
ESG - you know the lingo. Let's throw in DEI for good measure. Just apply "good" to every thing as one huge umbrella.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Naw - not "good" enough.

David
If that is truly the case, 1996-2011 stuff is going to go down as some of the best airline branding there was.

Hope it isn't true but not optimistic.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
"Our 80,000+ hero characters are on a mission to do good in the air and on the ground ..."

Apparently, doing your job in today's culture makes one a hero? Bizarre mindset.

Also, I care much more about the in-flight experience than I do about the skin color or gender of the pilot.
zombietooth and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rch4u
"Our 80,000+ hero characters are on a mission to do good in the air and on the ground ..."

Apparently, doing your job in today's culture makes one a hero? Bizarre mindset.
Also not what is said or implied
unitedbusiness and CCS_847 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Probably mentioned - tough to tell with all the UA buzzkill but shows up when you open the app.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
This slogan has its roots in what United wished David Dao said when asked to deplane:
"Good, lead the way!"
DELee, JimInOhio and truncated like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

To me it was "created" by religious advertising company. Change good to god and there you go.
When I saw it in email first time yesterday evening, I thought that United went rouge and now spamming me with religious emails.
I had to double read it to understand what the hell they are talking about "You are part of our story".
Anyway, weak at best, and they've probably paid a lot for this. Instead of wasting money on stuff like this, fix the damned food in economy class.
What they serve on TATL flights is unacceptable.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That is an exact quote from the propaganda website - so, definitely said.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by EWR764
Clearly the "Good" as intended in this campaign is the altruistic/virtuous "good", rather than adequate/sufficient "good". But it's a worthy criticism...

For those wondering why United didn't choose some loftier ideal, consider AA's since-abandoned "Going for Great" campaign circa 2015, which was pretty well panned and certainly did not lead to much greatness at all. Airline branding is tough...
It's redonkulously easy when a company has a true purpose beyond appeasing 17 stock "analysts" every quarter on an earnings call.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by physioprof
My interpretation of this campaign is a little different than most posted above. I think United is trying to signal to employees, fliers, shareholders (past, current & potential future) that they value "good", not meaning "adequacy", but meaning "moral good". I think the implication is that United values things beyond just dollars & cents, the physical realities of flying, etc. Whether this is a good (lolz) idea or not remains to be seen. But the criticism that United should be talking about "greatness" & not "good" is, I think, missing the point of this campaign. Again, whether this is a good idea (in both senses) I am not taking any position on.
I get all that. But if you have to explain the meaning of your marketing slogan, you have failed. When people read "Good leads the way", the first thing that comes to mind is that they are fine being just adequate. This is an example of overthinking your communications, because all the explanation will not remove that simple and natural impression.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Nope - exactly what is said on their brand page: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/com...s-the-way.html

Uh huh. Really. Important. Stuff.

David
rch4u likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.