Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: texd
Wiki Link
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 18, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I wonder how many lifetime UC members will be impacted.
Old Nov 3, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'd bet well under 1% of the total UC Membership is a lifetime UC member.
Old Nov 3, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Likely an exceedingly, almost immeasurable percentage of overall membership, but likely be an exceedingly vocal and overly miffed group of folks on FT.

Regards
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Likely an exceedingly, almost immeasurable percentage of overall membership, but likely be an exceedingly vocal and overly miffed group of folks on FT.

Regards
You rang?
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
I paid for a lifetime CO Club membership based on being able to access it regardless of what airline (or even if) I was flying. I would not have paid if it was this limited.

Sounds like it's time for a class action if UA doesn't carve out an exception for lifetime members.
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I paid for a lifetime CO Club membership based on being able to access it regardless of what airline (or even if) I was flying. I would not have paid if it was this limited.

Sounds like it's time for a class action if UA doesn't carve out an exception for lifetime members.
Do you srilll have the T&Cs at original purchase? Be interesting to see if CO has an out.
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

Do you srilll have the T&Cs at original purchase? Be interesting to see if CO has an out.
I checked to see if I still had my original CO PC lifetime membership agreement, but I guess I tossed it. I'm banging my head against the wall, cursing whatever spring cleaning year resulted in that purge.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post

I checked to see if I still had my original CO PC lifetime membership agreement, but I guess I tossed it. I'm banging my head against the wall, cursing whatever spring cleaning year resulted in that purge.
I have a receipt in my email for the purchase, but there are no terms.

I've emailed GS CS, United Club CS, and Oscar. I'm sure they'll say too bad, but let's see where this goes
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
You rang?
Me too; I use the UC for many non-UA trips since I'm Lifetime UC and Lifetime 1K. I no longer fly much on UA; moved most of my travel to DL.
Old Nov 3, 18, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
UA continues to help me justify my AMEX Platinum card and entrance to Centurion lounges and Priority Pass lounges. With the change in 1K PQD qualification next year, OAL are my future. This lifetime member will be "unleashed" in 2020.

I have never paid for the UC as never saw the benefit (and rarely flew domestic on a regular basis until last year) and rarely use the UC when eligible these days as better options, but I would be annoyed if I paid for the UC and my usage would now decrease. Perhaps a matter or perspective of whether you are based in a hub or not.
I am also looking at Priority Pass Lounges now, because of my international travels.

This policy impacts me because I do fly OAL out of HKG often and the UC membership has been a benefit to use HK United Club.

Lifetime member here! Not happy at all!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Nov 4, 18 at 12:00 am
Old Nov 3, 18, 11:51 pm

I agree. I also purchased a CO Club lifetime and would like to know how they can change our particular benefit. I can understand when people renew having the new rules apply but they need to exempt lifetime members. I'd join onto your class action.
Old Nov 4, 18, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'd bet well under 1% of the total UC Membership is a lifetime UC member.
I'm in the 1%. I bought my LT membership from EA in the late 1980s with 100,000 EA miles. That transferred to CO, then to UA. I think I've gotten my "miles worth." Since UA and AA are in the same terminal at BOS, I do use the UA Club a few times a year when flying AA. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
I'm in the 1%. I bought my LT membership from EA in the late 1980s with 100,000 EA miles. That transferred to CO, then to UA. I think I've gotten my "miles worth." Since UA and AA are in the same terminal at BOS, I do use the UA Club a few times a year when flying AA. It was nice while it lasted.
I think your response/approach is far more rational than the "lets start a class action lawsuit" approach.

Regards
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
I think your response/approach is far more rational than the "lets start a class action lawsuit" approach.

Regards
Easy to be rational when you've gotten 3+ decades of use for 100K miles versus a decade at an upfront cost of thousands of dollars paid under the promise of lifetime airport club membership without airline restrictions.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Easy to be rational when you've gotten 3+ decades of use for 100K miles versus a decade at an upfront cost of thousands of dollars paid under the promise of lifetime airport club membership without airline restrictions.
When one airline buys another, do they have to grandfather in such things?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: