Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
Who would you contact at United to tell them how cheap, parsimonious, and out-of-touch with the competition their Polaris food offerings are? At least make them uncomfortable at being such totoal Food Scrooges!
You must have missed that they crushed Q3 profit numbers and doubled guidance for Q4. They (and apparently most UA flyers) don't care. Revenue way up - profit way up - NPS scores up - why would they mess with the playbook?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You must have missed that they crushed Q3 profit numbers and doubled guidance for Q4. They (and apparently most UA flyers) don't care. Revenue way up - profit way up - NPS scores up - why would they mess with the playbook?
Because none of those numbers are sustainable, especially in the face of a changing economic reality. You can't build a long term product on the basis of 24 months of 'revenge travel' bounce numbers, only an idiot CEO would assume this will continue long term.
rch4u, st530, goodeats21 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Because none of those numbers are sustainable, especially in the face of a changing economic reality. You can't build a long term product on the basis of 24 months of 'revenge travel' bounce numbers, only an idiot CEO would assume this will continue long term.
This forum has been predicting the demise of UA for at least the past 15 years - and that hasn't been reality despite all the armchair CEO's - higher mileage redemptions - higher club fees - reduced benefits - lifetime benefit erosion - and on and on and on - and yet, here we are.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
No, I saw that and that old Greek term-hubris-came right to mind. Kirby's not the first to believe that "this time it's different". We'll see
DELee and truncated like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what is the moral? Passengers should shut up because executives are bagging bonuses? Or maybe that there's literally no one at UA who cares about the product any more?

If sent to the right contact, I think it's a great idea to share our dissatisfaction. It's not going to result in regime change, but it might make things less miserable.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
So what is the moral? Passengers should shut up because executives are bagging bonuses? Or maybe that there's literally no one at UA who cares about the product any more?

If sent to the right contact, I think it's a great idea to share our dissatisfaction. It's not going to result in regime change, but it might make things less miserable.
I've always been fascinated that people have issue with bonuses - they certainly earned any bonus achieved based on revenue, profit, and even increased NPS scores - they certainly crushed it operationally.

Regardless - everyone is free to complain to UA - my personal opinion is they would prefer complainers exercise their choice in other airlines where the grass may - or may not be greener.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always been fascinated that people have issue with bonuses - they certainly earned any bonus achieved based on revenue, profit, and even increased NPS scores - they certainly crushed it operationally.

Regardless - everyone is free to complain to UA - my personal opinion is they would prefer complainers exercise their choice in other airlines where the grass may - or may not be greener.
So your answer is yes to both? That seems more fascinating.

This thread is a discussion of in flight service, and I don't eat NPS or quarterly earnings. If the service is poor the discussion should be critical.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
NPS = net promoter score
​​​​​https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_promoter_score
cesco.g and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:22 am

Flew UA C to Europe in the past week. Was so disappointed in the food offering.

Still no appetizer course. Just a salad and and entre served "all at once" rather than a salad and appetizer. Followed by an entree served later.

Still no bread served from a bread basket. And still no garlic bread. Roll comes pre-plated and served on the tray with everything else. Asking for another roll get's me "eye-rolls" from the FAs.

Still no dessert cart or make your own sundaes. There is ice cream but it is pre-packaged and not as appealing.

C'mon UA. It's time to bring the Polaris Food / Soft Product back to pre-pandemic service levels. I've flown LH business several times and they are back to 2019 services. Fine wines. Bread served from a basket. Separate courses. Appetizers with salad. Then entree. Then dessert and cheese. Then port wine.

The Polaris seat is great. But the meals and service are terrible.
walkerci likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
This thread is a discussion of in flight service, and I don't eat NPS or quarterly earnings. If the service is poor the discussion should be critical.
Noting that six or lower is a bad NPS score, I never give UA a rating higher than six in the post-flight surveys. If the service didn't warrant a score of six or less, I don't respond to the survey.

The only way things are going to improve are if the market and UA's customers provide negative feedback on its poor inflight product.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I am going to quote myself from a recent post I made:

"I do think that being the cheapest with the worst product works for UA. Kirby is being smart by not investing in better food in F and Polaris. He knows he can't compete with the international carriers in quality, so why bother trying?"

This strategy is working great for UA and it won't change until pax numbers drop. So everyone should expect more of the same and take their own food onboard like I do-even if you're in Polaris
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ualboston1k

Still no appetizer course. Just a salad and and entre served "all at once" rather than a salad and appetizer. Followed by an entree served later.

Still no bread served from a bread basket. And still no garlic bread. Roll comes pre-plated and served on the tray with everything else. Asking for another roll get's me "eye-rolls" from the FAs.

Still no dessert cart or make your own sundaes. There is ice cream but it is pre-packaged and not as appealing.

C'mon UA. It's time to bring the Polaris Food / Soft Product back to pre-pandemic service levels. I've flown LH business several times and they are back to 2019 services. Fine wines. Bread served from a basket. Separate courses. Appetizers with salad. Then entree. Then dessert and cheese. Then port wine.

Flight Attendant union will push back hard on going back to multiple waves of service. They like the new style of one-tray and done...

Last edited by spartacusmcfly; Nov 4, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ualboston1k

The main course selections for November have improved ever so slightly, but agree that the meal quality and selection remain dreadful. Keep writing into 1K/GS Voice. My parents who are lifetime 1MM's but don't travel often anymore were mortified by the food quality (or lack thereof) on their recent Polaris flights, they said it was barely edible and I would agree.

- Mostly dairy/gluten selections (ie., everything seems to have cheese, cream or wheat)
- Everything is unhealthy from calorie count to fat content to sugars etc.
- No printed wine list making it extremely difficult to understand options (FA's appear burdened to share what's available with any level of detail)
- No appetizers
- Salads are filled with fluff (ie cheese) + unhealthy dressings. How about just a simple oil & vinegar??
- Keep it simple United- the vast majority of people don't want fried avocadoes, egg white bites and uncooked gross bacon- how about just scrambled eggs, an omelet etc.? How about a nice dairy free option such as granola with coconut yogurt, or fruit plate with an acai bowl?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth

This strategy is working great for UA and it won't change until pax numbers drop. So everyone should expect more of the same and take their own food onboard like I do-even if you're in Polaris
I've been doing this for at least 5 years now - thinking UA will improve inflight service/food will just an exercise in frustration. I'll have some of the food on board occasionally out of curiosity and it always is as expected - at best ok to terrible. Everything I bring onboard is better than any US carrier caters. UA isn't going to improve because they don't care if every FT person flies a international carrier as it is not the target flyer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Noting that six or lower is a bad NPS score, I never give UA a rating higher than six in the post-flight surveys. If the service didn't warrant a score of six or less, I don't respond to the survey.

The only way things are going to improve are if the market and UA's customers provide negative feedback on its poor inflight product.
I think you would be disappointed to know what their NPS is telling them then as based on the values I've seen, clearly not a lot of other passengers feel the same way you do. The biggest thing that drives it down: IRROPs, delays, cancellations. The things that drive it up: on time arrivals, saved connections, Their NPS is telling them overwhelmingly people care about the hard product and its not even a close margin, so it makes sense when you look at where they're focusing the operation.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.