Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
LOL - my guess is a real bagel with both sides won't fit in the carts -- or UA it too cheap -- or likely both....
Good leads the way. Sustainable serving sizes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Look at CDG SFO for another example. I don't know how they get away with it.....
The planes are still full. People are sheep.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
I had the honor of flying Polaris business class for the first time the day before yesterday and yesterday. I fly very often in business class in all possible airlines of this world, but somehow I have not yet made it to polaris business.

Maybe this is not news to you all, but while I found the hardware to be very convincing (I slept wonderful), the food was absurdly bad. I have never had such grotesque business class food in any airline worldwide.

First I flew on UA846 SCL-IAH. I chose beef, which was simply not edible. It was so hard that you could only cut it with a lot of effort (I am not exaggerating). It felt like it would have been cooked 2 hours full heat. The presentation was miserable. The bread next to it was also completely hard. I was not very hungry, so I did not complain, but it was absurd. I skipped breakfast.

Then I continued on UA20 IAH-AMS. While the dinner (chicken) was not good, but at least edible, the next absurdity followed with the Salmon Bagel for breakfast: The bagel was not only not fresh, but so hard that probably not even a rabbit could have bitten it. Again, I don't want to exaggerate provocatively, but the bagel was effectively hard as a rock and I seriously asked myself how such a thing could be presented to a customer.

As I have mentioned, I fly AA, AC, LX, LH, AF, KL, LA, AM, DL and many more very frequently and enjoy business class food on the plane most of the time, even if it is not restaurant quality of course. But what I was served on these two flights at United was that absurd that I was just laughing to myself.

My question to you: was I just unlucky (on both flights) or is it effectively "known" by "you" in the States that UA serves by far the worst food of any carrier?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
I had the honor of flying Polaris business class for the first time the day before yesterday and yesterday. I fly very often in business class in all possible airlines of this world, but somehow I have not yet made it to polaris business.

Maybe this is not news to you all, but while I found the hardware to be very convincing (I slept wonderful), the food was absurdly bad. I have never had such grotesque business class food in any airline worldwide.

First I flew on UA846 SCL-IAH. I chose beef, which was simply not edible. It was so hard that you could only cut it with a lot of effort (I am not exaggerating). It felt like it would have been cooked 2 hours full heat. The presentation was miserable. The bread next to it was also completely hard. I was not very hungry, so I did not complain, but it was absurd. I skipped breakfast.

Then I continued on UA20 IAH-AMS. While the dinner (chicken) was not good, but at least edible, the next absurdity followed with the Salmon Bagel for breakfast: The bagel was not only not fresh, but so hard that probably not even a rabbit could have bitten it. Again, I don't want to exaggerate provocatively, but the bagel was effectively hard as a rock and I seriously asked myself how such a thing could be presented to a customer.

As I have mentioned, I fly AA, AC, LX, LH, AF, KL, LA, AM, DL and many more very frequently and enjoy business class food on the plane most of the time, even if it is not restaurant quality of course. But what I was served on these two flights at United was that absurd that I was just laughing to myself.

My question to you: was I just unlucky (on both flights) or is it effectively "known" by "you" in the States that UA serves by far the worst food of any carrier?
I would allege that your inflight dining experience on UA's vaunted "Polaris" was normal. Believe it or not, as bad as your normal Polaris experience was, UA fills their business cabins with sometimes frequent travelers who tolerate perhaps the worst inflight service over and over again.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would agree with the above as the correct general perspective on UA J dining.

One particular note, I have the sense they've somehow cut the meat catering budget out of South America as low as they possibly can. The beef has been terrible everywhere. I usually (99% of time) will tough it out, as I am very averse to wasting food, but this is too much for me. Worst was going ex-LIM, where I had to completely give up after sawing one bite off. Even ex-GRU where I was hoping for better, it was difficult to convince myself I should eat it, and that without having eaten dinner beforehand.

I've had a much better time ex-US & -Europe (relatively speaking — this is still UA). Looks like they've also splashed a bit more money in to the Australia budget, but I've not flow there this year.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold

Consider a Polaris flight as food optional. That is, serving food is optional for United.
Dyce likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
....I would say that the food offers have improved.....
Well, UA's food has improved from a warm bowl of mushy cardboard with a hair in it to what's pictured in the past few posts. Seems like UA has played this perfectly - downgraded the food to the absolute worst that anyone has seen, and then "upgrade" it to something slightly better than the worst everyone has ever seen. I'm not falling for it - UA's food in Polaris still has to be the worst of any airline's premium cabin. UA gets me where I need to go - I'll give it that. Just wish I didn't have to plan my eating to avoid most of UA's current in-flight slop. I am truly amazed at the complete collapse of food quality in just 2 1/2 years after a slower 10 year decline.
st530 and Dyce like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Just received 5000 bonus miles for my detailed write up to United about how bad Polaris was for GRU to ORD last week. 5000 miles is nothing. I would rather get the 30 minutes I used typing the email back. It seemed like an automated response that was lacking any true emotion. Some sort of a refund or trip credit for a substantial amount would seem fair or if they are going to use miles as a way to give something back maybe 20K miles but 5K thats pretty bad. I'm so done with United until they get their stuff together. However, I was thinking of blowing my remaining miles on a J ticket for HND to SIN over summer since I believe that would either get me SQ or NH, either of which would be great and so much better than United. So actually I hope they read my reply back and just give me 15K more miles as that will allow me to purchase the above mentioned ticket. This GRU to ORD flight was the biggest joke of a premium product I have ever experienced.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Just received 5000 bonus miles for my detailed write up to United about how bad Polaris was for GRU to ORD last week. 5000 miles is nothing. I would rather get the 30 minutes I used typing the email back. It seemed like an automated response that was lacking and true emotion. Some sort of a refund or trip credit for a substantial amount would seem fair or if they are going to use miles as a way to give something back maybe 20K miles but 5K thats pretty bad. I'm so done with United until they get their stuff together. However, I was thinking of blowing my remaining miles on a J ticket for HND to SIN over summer since I believe that would either get me SQ or NH, either of which would be great and so much better than United. So actually I hope they read my reply back and just give me 15K more miles as that will allow me to purchase the above mentioned ticket. This GRU to ORD flight was the biggest joke of a premium product I have ever experiened.
As reported earlier, I was given a $200 credit. Wrote back to that email saying it was not enough and was given $100 more. The trouble is I basically refuse to fly them again unless there are no other options.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As reported earlier, I was given a $200 credit. Wrote back to that email saying it was not enough and was given $100 more. The trouble is I basically refuse to fly them again unless there are no other options.
Interesting. Well I actually hope they read my reply asking for 20K total miles (15K more). Then I blow the miles on NH or SQ and am done with United.

I would fly them with a trip credit though but to Phoenix or Denver. I am 100% done with them for Transcon or International.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
And on the Y front, just flew the recently relaunched YYZ-SFO flight, which I'm happy to have back (though the previous early evening departure westbound was much preferable to the crack of dawn departure...but I digress...). Crew was great, and was a good flight, but completely mis-catered. No hot breakfast items, just the snack boxes (flight is clearly marked 'fresh food for purchase'). and not even the basic biscoff/pretzel/stroopwafel with the beverage service - which we did have on the redeye on the way out. I'm pretty sure UA doesn't cater at all in YYZ, since most of the flights are short-haul (EWR/IAD/ORD) - I suspect the inbound from DEN last night was supposed to be double-catered, but for some reason, wasn't. FA offered me a recline snack box - not sure exactly why, as I'm not 1K, and wasn't that hungry, so wouldn't have bought anyway, but I would hate to be someone expecting to be able to get a hot breakfast and be told all they have were the box 'o carbs.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Thank you all for your answers. I was effectively unaware that this is such a "known" fact that the catering at UA is that bad. For me as an "outsider" European, this is very surprising, because I always had the feeling that the three big players in the U.S. look at everything from each other and copy each other. However, while I am mostly satisfied with both the service and the catering at AA and DL, it has been an absolute joke at UA.

What you have to give UA credit for, on the other hand: The food in the Polaris lounge in Houston was (I had Pulpo and a Chicken, can't remember the name) was downright exquisite....

Furthermore, I sat on Seat 1L on both SCL-IAH (767-300) and IAH-AMS (777-200) flights and found the hard product to be extremely good (both better than DL and AA). It's a pity that they mess up with the catering in such a way.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
What the hell is that?
As heard from the galley....

FA1: Crap, we need to serve breakfast to those people, I'm only half way through my People Magazine, and it's the good part with Meghan Markle
FA2: Who cares, just toss the heating containers on a tray a give it to them, it's not like any of these customers care what we serve them
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Guys give up, just fly E+ and eat and spend your money on the ground!
Polytonic likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Thank you all for your answers. I was effectively unaware that this is such a "known" fact that the catering at UA is that bad. For me as an "outsider" European, this is very surprising, because I always had the feeling that the three big players in the U.S. look at everything from each other and copy each other. However, while I am mostly satisfied with both the service and the catering at AA and DL, it has been an absolute joke at UA.

What you have to give UA credit for, on the other hand: The food in the Polaris lounge in Houston was (I had Pulpo and a Chicken, can't remember the name) was downright exquisite....

Furthermore, I sat on Seat 1L on both SCL-IAH (767-300) and IAH-AMS (777-200) flights and found the hard product to be extremely good (both better than DL and AA). It's a pity that they mess up with the catering in such a way.
Polaris Lounge in IAH has pulpo (octopus)? That's news to me unless a very recent menu change. Would be a pleasant surprise.

Also agree that 1L (and 9L on the two-cabin J aircraft) makes the awful catering and generally apathetic service tolerable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.