Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by DEN
United has been improving its catering situation for almost 2 years, it’s just in such small increments it’s often difficult to notice or even track. It remains well behind many of their competitors, especially on Int’l routes. It seems to be working because I haven’t noticed a mass exodus of UA elites so far, based on preboarding. United always says they listen to their customers “our customers tell us…..” is how they usually start the sentence.

The only way to push change is complain, just not here. The 1K email address ( I’m guessing GS has something similar) is the place to start along with your Travel Management Company, if you have one. Anyone lower in status is than 1K, s just white noise, and I even think 1K isn’t a huge priority to UA.

FT is more a place for information and to vent, not really a place to affect change, IMO.

DEN
To be fair, you are correct is has improved over the past few years. However, that baseline is a plastic bag with pretzel bites, a Stroopwaffel and a 4oz water. I gave up complaining to UA and have been shifting $$ to AA, B6 and DL depending on the route. I will sadly go from 1K to Plat next year, but that’s the way it is!

On the flip side, I really love UA’s Polaris seat and they seem to use wide bodies on domestic flights more than other airlines which I like. But the food….. still inexcusable.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I disagree with the premise United has been improving for the last 2 years. I have been on well over 100 UA flights during such time span, and I would say United has been declining. The blantant disregard from FAs is a pattern; having the same school cafeteria menu (generous description) month after month is by design.
Man, why can't these large, international companies that have complex supply chains, needing to supply/staff 3000 flights to fly 200k+ people per day just change things overnight. It hasn't even been 10 days since they said they're working on it (https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-food-service-wifi/) and to expect to see some more changes beginning December 1st. But I guess we can just keep rehashing the same old complaints because my goodness, how dare an airline not instantly fix something that arguably isn't the highest priority for a company in the business of providing transportation.

But clearly you've proven the same thing UA is seeing, you're complaining yet continue to fly UA, well over 100 separate times despite clearly being so distraught over the inflight service. I'm convinced (and the airlines know) some people are always going to find something to complain about, even if they brought things to a 5 star restaurant level (and looking at the DL/AA forums, proves this as there's equally as many complaints there, despite everyone here insisting their product is superior). The good old days of the airline industry is gone .

But clearly this superior AA/DL inflight product is causing people to leave UA en masse.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Man, why can't these large, international companies that have complex supply chains, needing to supply/staff 3000 flights to fly 200k+ people per day just change things overnight. It hasn't even been 10 days since they said they're working on it (https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-food-service-wifi/) and to expect to see some more changes beginning December 1st. But I guess we can just keep rehashing the same old complaints because my goodness, how dare an airline not instantly fix something that arguably isn't the highest priority for a company in the business of providing transportation.

But clearly you've proven the same thing UA is seeing, you're complaining yet continue to fly UA, well over 100 separate times despite clearly being so distraught over the inflight service. I'm convinced (and the airlines know) some people are always going to find something to complain about, even if they brought things to a 5 star restaurant level (and looking at the DL/AA forums, proves this as there's equally as many complaints there, despite everyone here insisting their product is superior). The good old days of the airline industry is gone .

But clearly this superior AA/DL inflight product is causing people to leave UA en masse.
UA has had 2+ years just to restore service back to normal levels. Funny how other carriers larger in size can do the same in shorter time...

I fly with whoever is going to get me from A to B the cheapest - I don't really care who the carrier is. Those 100+ flights represent less than 50% of all my flights during the same time span.

Nice job clipping my post. I have addressed some of your concerns in my comments you did not quote.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I fly with whoever is going to get me from A to B the cheapest - I don't really care who the carrier is. Those 100+ flights represent less than 50% of all my flights during the same time span.
To be fair - every airline would like to fire that customer (any carrier based on price) as they are probably losing money on a lot of those tickets.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
To be fair - every airline would like to fire that customer (any carrier based on price) as they are probably losing money on a lot of those tickets.
Not sure how often carriers like UA/AA/DL/AS/... offer fares below variable costs. They certain do fares below fully loaded costs but they are not "losing money" unless below variable costs .. To make a profit they need to also recover fix costs but not every customers needs to fully do that. Any positive contribution above variable cost helps cover fixed costs.

So, airlines will get the most they can, that competitive allows, and then fill the remaining seats with those a positive contribution fares. RM job is to fix out how to do these.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not sure how often carriers like UA/AA/DL/AS/... offer fares below variable costs.
Let me put it a different way. I have a $320 round trip HNL-LAS via LAX in January which I booked Friday. Even if take out the fact I'll be upgraded - be able to use the UC - free bag check - it certainly, in my opinion costs more than $160 each way to transport me to LAS from HNL if I stayed in Economy (it is actually less than $160 as that has taxes and fees) - if I take out my lifetime status, I can't imagine UA would terribly interested (or any other carrier) for me to be a repeat customer hopping around for the lowest fare. But if I did that, I'd reset my service expectations accordingly - I'd just be thankful I got from A to B at the screaming deal.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more pink slips showing up on my door. UA, please do not audit my flight history

I think I can safely say I am not a profit center for UA.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me put it a different way. I have a $320 round trip HNL-LAS via LAX in January which I booked Friday. Even if take out the fact I'll be upgraded - be able to use the UC - free bag check - it certainly, in my opinion costs more than $160 each way to transport me to LAS from HNL if I stayed in Economy (it is actually less than $160 as that has taxes and fees) - if I take out my lifetime status, I can't imagine UA would terribly interested (or any other carrier) for me to be a repeat customer hopping around for the lowest fare. But if I did that, I'd reset my service expectations accordingly - I'd just be thankful I got from A to B at the screaming deal.
I am curious what days of the week that is? Because there is a bigger picture. Maybe your inbound aircraft to HNL, and/or outbound leaving on the day you return, is on a more poplar travel day when they can get high enough fares to offset whatever "loss" they may be making on your specific ticket.

There are lots of variables, it is very complicated, and I am pretty sure none of us average (meaning those with no insider info) FTers have access to the vast mountains of data or algorithms the airlines have developed over the years.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What the heck does that have to do with UA's uncompetitive soft-product? Are we each required to post our average spend per mile {to} gauge the legitimacy of our complaints about its crappy soft-product?

What we do know is that UA had a lights-out Q3, which unfortunately means that the lesson its leadership has no doubt drawn is that its customers don't care about its crappy soft-product. That is unfortunately true in some respects, but most certainly not in others.

In all events, UA's petty penny-pinching is certainly something I take into account when making ticket purchasing decisions, and I urge everyone else on this forum who actually cares about the product they are paying for to do the same.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2022 at 6:02 pm Reason: don't make it personal
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What the heck does that have to do with UA's uncompetitive soft-product?

What we do know is that UA had a lights-out Q3, which unfortunately means that the lesson its leadership has no doubt drawn is that its customers don't care about its crappy soft-product.
If it’s that uncompetitive - why the lights-out Q3 compared to competitors? And increased Q4 guidance?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it’s that uncompetitive - why the lights-out Q3 compared to competitors? And increased Q4 guidance?
Competitive isn't the same as profitable. UA were clearly profitable. UA offer an uncompetitive product. Those two facts may continue to co-exist for some time. Alternately, they may begin to impact each other in the longer term — on that, of course, time will tell.

But fundamentally, I don't understand why these keep getting tied together in this discussion. Managing financials well is not the same as offering service that any discerning consumer would select.

There's simply no argument that the service currently is competitive. It's not. It's below the quality of what other US-domestic carriers offer, i.e. it is uncompetitive.

If UA manages to continue its string of positive results, it's a reflection of the market conditions, not a reflection of their service product quality.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer, st530 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The real question is who is providing this revenue and is it sticky? All airlines are overwhelmed with demand, but that doesn't mean it will stick - and these are mostly leisure travelers who are being ripped off by just about everyone, so it's a matter of who is charging less, vs who is offering a better product.

Surely you will recognize that demand will wear off, and as we lurch into recession, it could come sooner, rather than later, and Kirby's Q1 2023 may end up being a case of the emperor has no clothes.

One good quarter during unprecedented demand does not make a winning formula for the long term.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Competitive isn't the same as profitable. UA were clearly profitable. UA offer an uncompetitive product. Those two facts may continue to co-exist for some time.

There's simply no argument that the service currently is competitive. It's not. It's below the quality of what other US-domestic carriers offer, i.e. it is uncompetitive.

If UA manages to continue its string of positive results, it's a reflection of the market conditions, not a reflection of their service product quality.
Granted, it has been a few decades since I have been in business school - but I doubt the class on how to be uncompetitive and make the most profit class exists. Of course UA is competitive with route, schedule, hard product, irrops, corporate contracts, etc. I don't subscribe to the fact that outside FT people most people are making buying decisions based on food. I don't relate to the obsession of food - otherwise nobody would fly UA - I don't eat it, others don't either - or, they apparently put up with it.

If UA is doing so well against its peers - that implication is clowns are running the other airlines.
Lux Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Granted, it has been a few decades since I have been in business school - but I doubt the class on how to be uncompetitive and make the most profit class exists. Of course UA is competitive with route, schedule, hard product, irrops, corporate contracts, etc. I don't subscribe to the fact that outside FT people most people are making buying decisions based on food. I don't relate to the obsession of food - otherwise nobody would fly UA - I don't eat it, others don't either - or, they apparently put up with it.

If UA is doing so well against its peers - that implication is clowns are running the other airlines.
More conflation and canards. Hard product and network aren't soft product (topic of this thread). Other airlines aren't run by clowns. Quarterly results do not tell a full story.

Again, why keep bringing up financials in a discussion of inflight service?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2022 at 9:37 pm Reason: Let not get personal and there are no prerequisites for posting
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

UA is competitive with route and schedule from, and for hub hostages only - that's a rather limited segment of the flying public, certainly almost none abroad who have better options into the same hubs. The hard product domestically is not no better than any other airline's, and factoring in soft product, is far worse. The Polaris seat is decent, but already falling behind other airline refreshes. Corporate contracts are about the only thing keeping the premium cabin afloat once you remove discretionary travelers who are not at all sticky or loyal.

IRROPS only applies to a very small category of premium customers - the huddled masses are generally treated like Bantha fodder by UA customer service.

Food does matter to many, maybe not to you - but when someone is looking at spending $10K for a trip from the NY area to London and all things are equal, unless they NEED to fly United, virtually every other nonstop product in that market is better across the board. The business school lesson here is more of "why, when better options exist, do customers spend the same amount of money for a flight at about the same time between the same two points, for an inferior overall experience".

The answer can be chalked up to 1. Mileage Plus loyalty 2. corporate contracts. Mileage Plus loyalty is only sticky where another *A option does not exist (which will arguably be better all around), and the person buying needs United BIS for some reason, or is buying a limited number of tickets during the year at a high price, and wants the full PQP value to maintain status with United - again, a very small subset of the customer population.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.