Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
No, they maybe put pretzels/stroopwafels/biscoff on a tray, or maybe they do nothing for snacks.
Yep. This is the answer on UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Can you elaborate? They just outright said no?
Yup, they simply said no. Can't do it. Butter was catered on trays as I had some with my dried, rock hard, cold bread with my main.
I was going to argue with them that there must be unused trays with butter on them but they had such an attitude I didn't bother.

Never had this request denied before, but to me it epitomizes how far United service has fallen.
And yes, the butter itself is trivial, it's the attitude/service that is annoying - remember this (Polaris) is supposed to be a Premium service.

I later asked for the flight attendant's name and the purser refused. She gave me her name but said she couldn't give me his name as it was a security risk.
Tired of this made up on the spot BS >> was going to ask how it was a security risk to give me his name, but it wasn't a security risk to give me her name.
Thought better of it and cut my losses and let it drop, admonishing myself for the stupidity of asking for extra butter - what was I thinking?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by st530
You were affirmatively refused a pad of butter???
”Welcome to the Friendly Skies”
SPN Lifer, Dyce, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Dyce
Yup, they simply said no. Can't do it. Butter was catered on trays as I had some with my dried, rock hard, cold bread with my main.
I was going to argue with them that there must be unused trays with butter on them but they had such an attitude I didn't bother.

Never had this request denied before, but to me it epitomizes how far United service has fallen.
And yes, the butter itself is trivial, it's the attitude/service that is annoying - remember this (Polaris) is supposed to be a Premium service.

I later asked for the flight attendant's name and the purser refused. She gave me her name but said she couldn't give me his name as it was a security risk.
Tired of this made up on the spot BS >> was going to ask how it was a security risk to give me his name, but it wasn't a security risk to give me her name.
Thought better of it and cut my losses and let it drop, admonishing myself for the stupidity of asking for extra butter - what was I thinking?
That just plain sucks. Truly awful attitude and no service.

David
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
F/As can only provide what the flight has been provisioned for. I don't know what that flight was provisioned for, but if there was no butter boarded to serve with the cheese, that is not the F/A's fault.
Why couldn’t the FA have informed the passenger that they weren’t provisioned with single servings of butter instead of a curt “no?” If a FA is being polite, does that cost UA money?
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by halls120
Why couldn’t the FA have informed the passenger that they weren’t provisioned with single servings of butter instead of a curt “no?” If a FA is being polite, does that cost UA money?
let me clarify… I can’t remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of. “No, we don’t have extra”. He then walked back to the galley for my cheese plate without waiting for a reply. There was no “I’m sorry we don’t have extras”, no “let me check”.

again, I could have questioned whether they had any unused trays that had a butter available, but it wasn’t worth the argument. And I certainly didn’t feel like they had any inclination to go out of their way for me…
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dyce
let me clarify… I can’t remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of. “No, we don’t have extra”. He then walked back to the galley for my cheese plate without waiting for a reply. There was no “I’m sorry we don’t have extras”, no “let me check”.

again, I could have questioned whether they had any unused trays that had a butter available, but it wasn’t worth the argument. And I certainly didn’t feel like they had any inclination to go out of their way for me…
One of my former supervisors had a sign in his office - "Attitude is Everything." You didn't work for him for very long with an attitude like the one you encountered. Courtesy and a pleasant attitude don't cost a dime to deliver.
Dyce likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Outbound on Delta, return on United, comp upgraded both ways but similarity ended there. Had a delightful Korean bowl on Delta, and almost threw up on United's frittata after one bite. The fruit and the packaged yogurt on the tray was the only thing decent. The bread was rock hard.

I asked the FA if he could reheat the frittata, as it was lukewarm to cold, he said he needed to serve others. As bad as United's catering, I'd at least eat it; the frittata served on the particular United flight was downright horrid.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course the F/A should have handled it politely. Neither you nor I were there to witness exactly what the interaction was.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:58 pm

Of course the F/A should have handled it politely. Neither you nor I were there to witness exactly what the interaction was.
Correct. but in my 30+ years of flying, I’ve been on the receiving end of similar rudeness, so I’m inclined to believe the OP’s complaint.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. but in my 30+ years of flying, I’ve been on the receiving end of similar rudeness, so I’m inclined to believe the OP’s complaint.
I don't doubt the OP's complaint either, but let's rewind.

I took the OP's primary complaint to be that there was no butter available with the cheese plate, not that the F/A had an attitude about it. But maybe I misinterpreted.

My ONLY point was that catering provisioning decisions are not made by F/As. If the service standards are that cheese plates do not have butter pats (which I believe is the case but am happy to be corrected), and there are no extra butter pats provisioned in case someone wants one, that is not the F/A's fault.

Of course if the F/A was rude about it, that is not acceptable - which should be obvious - and I did not mean to suggest otherwise.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:44 pm

Of course if the F/A was rude about it, that is not acceptable - which should be obvious - and I did not mean to suggest otherwise.
my original comment was a criticism of the FA’s rudeness, not the lack of butter, which is obviously not the FA’s fault. So we are both on the same page.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
F/As can only provide what the flight has been provisioned for. I don't know what that flight was provisioned for, but if there was no butter boarded to serve with the cheese, that is not the F/A's fault.
No, the correct statement is “sir, I am very sorry but we were not catered with enough butter packets and I can’t find any more to give you. I’ll have another look but otherwise please accept my apology for not being able to accommodate your request”

what actually happened was completely and totally unacceptable and the OP needs to write up this crew with a complaint
Xyzzy and Dyce like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM (40 yr MP), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Entire Can Refused on UX in F

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
In 30+ years I’ve never been refused a can. Ever.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Here is how other carriers would react, would you like to have another bag of snack?

I wasn't talking that specific example, but in general of UA FAs. I have lost count how many times I have been refused to have the can of seltzer water after the initial pour to the cup. What are we rationing here?

There should be a meal on this route up front, but are you really surprised for a doggie bag for 2 plus years, and now just (1) snack. Asking for a second one is like getting a colonoscopy.
Me either.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I've never had to even ask for the can. It's always just been provided. Clearly not flying enough apparently to run into the issues of only getting a cup pour instead of the full can..
Originally Posted by kmersh
It is not an every time thing, but I have been denied a number of times over the years and usually the denial is accompanied either by a lecture or a roll of the eyes and a gruff no.
Did I comment anything about FA attitude?

More context: asked for the remaining portion of the poured can, and being told they are needed for other passengers. I count such as refusal. I have also been refused the same in F. I have written some of these occurrences on FT. Also when requesting for no ice but getting ice anyway - par for the course.

You may have always gotten your requests, but that does not mean other people share the same experience. Both can be true.
I didn't mean to imply you did.

Did you think the FA was lying?

If Yes, I would say that is Attitude.

If No, I agree that is technically a "refusal," but what if airline's policy is to not honor second requests until everyone has had their first request? Still the F/As fault for following company policy?
The entire premise of my earlier posts: stingy. You are the one who had inserted FA attitude into the discussion.

I fly hundreds of flights/year across multiple carriers, yet United is the only one with issues of customers asking for the entire can of beverages. I had this happened to me in the last row of F, btw (not just coach). Even if United has some kind of being cheap policy, that doesn't make my point invalid, does it?
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm pretty sure UA's FAs were instructed at some point not to give the full can unless the passenger requests. UA also uses smaller cups and glasses than the competition.
Yes, I've been refused on UX (SkyWest) in F cabin the whole can February this year from LAX to SEA. She told me my initial glass finished the already opened can (evening flight so maybe the plane's 3rd flight of the day).. Told me that only 1 can of CranApple was loaded per day. Maybe there was a can in Y but she didn't go get it.

On mainline, when I ask for an unopened whole can, I usually get it. Maybe twice this year they opened it.

Actually I have gotten push back that there is no CranApple juice just Cranberry cocktail or Apple Juice (since this summer).. All were obviously younger FAs. That sure looks like a slice of Apple on the can to me.

CranBerry cocktail made with Apple juice
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:07 pm

Outbound on Delta, return on United, comp upgraded both ways but similarity ended there. Had a delightful Korean bowl on Delta, and almost threw up on United's frittata after one bite. The fruit and the packaged yogurt on the tray was the only thing decent. The bread was rock hard.

I asked the FA if he could reheat the frittata, as it was lukewarm to cold, he said he needed to serve others. As bad as United's catering, I'd at least eat it; the frittata served on the particular United flight was downright horrid.
I had a 35 minute'ish flight on DELTA (MCO-MIA) and the FA managed a full drink service and passed around the snack basket twice in FC before having to collect everything for landing.

UA is simply put cheap.
rch4u, Kacee, truncated and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.