Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Boleslav
We are flying on two separate flight tickets On United to BKK and then on Thai to Nepal.
Do these two airlines have a luggage agreement so that we can have the bags checked out all the way to the final destination?
Thank you
This may be a little more complicated, because United itself does not fly to BKK.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:45 pm

Its United/ ANA code share flight. from US via NRT to BKK.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
TG is part of *A. Yes, there is an interline agreement. As to whether or not you can get an agent to check bags all the way through on separate tickets? YMMV.

However, you won't clear customs in NRT, and if they can check bags through to Nepal on TG, you shouldn't have to clear customs in BKK, either.

What time does your TG flight depart BKK? The standard NH arrivals from NRT are late at night; are you overnighting in the airport?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:57 pm

Yes, we will have 10 hours in BKK before the morning KTM flight.
Thank you.

Last edited by Boleslav; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boleslav
Yes, we will have 10 hours in BKK before the morning KTM flight.
Thank you.
With an overnight layover, I'd be surprised if you could get UA to check the bags through to KTM even if it were on a single ticket. It's theoretically possible -- in that an appropriate bag tag could be created -- but UA policy generally requires that you pick up your luggage if you're stopping overnight.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to interline a bag overnight anyway. The longer the connection, the more ways things can go wrong -- leading to your bag getting stuck in BKK.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
I was successful checking bags through from UA to LH. I had checked in using the app, and the agent had to uncheck me to link the segments. She said that she will not even attempt UA-UA transfers anymore given the difficulty.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emoose1
...She said that she will not even attempt UA-UA transfers anymore given the difficulty.
That's part of her job.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
UA to UA Bag Check with different PNRs

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is about, but I am wondering about the following situation:

I have a positioning flight in a few days to catch an international flight; XXX-YYY (domestic) and then YYY-ZZZ (international) on separate PNRs. I had to do it this way because we didn't know where a pre-trip business meeting was going to be at the time of the International booking. Once the meeting city was determined, I went back and booked a one-way to the hub.

The YYY-ZZZ is paid biz, but the domestic, XXX-YYY, is Y. I want to add myself to the upgrade list early by checking-in at the 24-hour mark but I am worried that, if I do OLCI on the domestic flight, it will mess-up my being able to check my bags through to the International destination, which I usually do at the airport in these situations.

Any advice?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
The YYY-ZZZ is paid biz, but the domestic, XXX-YYY, is Y. I want to add myself to the upgrade list early by checking-in at the 24-hour mark but I am worried that, if I do OLCI on the domestic flight, it will mess-up my being able to check my bags through to the International destination, which I usually do at the airport in these situations.
Checking in for the second flight won't impact the ability to interline.

Note though that due to system limitations, a UA-UA interline is a relatively high degree of difficulty (harder than interlining to a *A partner). Leave extra time at origin and know there's some chance the agent will not be able to do it, requiring you to pick up and recheck bags at your first destination.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Checking in for the second flight won't impact the ability to interline.

Note though that due to system limitations, a UA-UA interline is a relatively high degree of difficulty (harder than interlining to a *A partner). Leave extra time at origin and know there's some chance the agent will not be able to do it, requiring you to pick up and recheck bags at your first destination.
Yes, the UA-UA interline is complex, and apparently a successful upgrade (by whatever means) I've been told makes it even harder. Apparently the lobby agent needs to fool around with fare classes (original and R) in matching the tickets for UA-UA interline purposes. One agent in HNL gave up and hand-wrote a bag tag, which they have the option to do if they can't complete it via computer. The bag made it to LHR, so hand-written is an option, and it only took 30 seconds - maybe UA should just default to that on UA-UA.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 10, 2018 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P
Baggage fees for separate reservations betwen UA and BR business class?

Could use the hive-mind's help on this -

My MIL has a business class seat from ORD to S'pore on BR (Eva Airlines). To position her from MSP to ORD, we have a separate UA itinerary. When she came here, she successfully asked BR to interline the bags to UA, and didn't pay any fees.

BR allows 2 bags at 32 kgs for business, but UA obviously charges for bags.

Now going back - I know UA will interline the bags to BR, but will I have to pay a bag fee for the MSP-ORD segment?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kxl19
Could use the hive-mind's help on this -

My MIL has a business class seat from ORD to S'pore on BR (Eva Airlines). To position her from MSP to ORD, we have a separate UA itinerary. When she came here, she successfully asked BR to interline the bags to UA, and didn't pay any fees.

BR allows 2 bags at 32 kgs for business, but UA obviously charges for bags.

Now going back - I know UA will interline the bags to BR, but will I have to pay a bag fee for the MSP-ORD segment?
If she's in UA economy w/ no status or Chase card, probably. But then UA should check through to BR.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Perfect use of an RPU here, if you have any laying around.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Checking bags through with 2 seperate tickets?

I have a ticket for STL-IAH and a ticket for IAH (SQ) - MAN - ZRH (LX)
I've been told I can check my bags all the through to ZRH even though this is a "2 ticket trip"
When I check in at STL just show them my other ticket and that's that?
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2018 at 11:18 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pkerr
I have a ticket for STL-IAH and a ticket for IAH (SQ) - MAN - ZRH (LX)
I've been told I can check my bags all the through to ZRH even though this is a "2 ticket trip"
When I check in at STL just show them my other ticket and that's that?...
Basically yes -- see the thread's wiki for exceptions

Allow 10-15 minutes of extra time in case the agent is unfamiliar with this process

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.