FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2078572-ua-bag-interlining-if-separate-tix-w-partners-yes-non-partners-no-archive.html)

Kacee Nov 17, 2014 11:45 pm

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Lucky reported a couple days ago that UA sent a memo to travel agents announcing a new policy, beginning March 1, 2015, under which it would no longer interline bags on separate tickets to non *A carriers. United Eliminating Checked Bags on Separate Tickets Outside Star Alliance.

Anyone have any info on this?

If true, this would be a major service downgrade IMO. I've interlined multiple times over the past year or so, mostly to CX. The SFO check-in agents are now able to handle these requests with ease (unlike the early days of the merger). I'm also concerned about what it would mean in reverse - will CX now decline to interline for me ex-HKG?

amartin1979 Nov 18, 2014 12:04 am

Sounds like another #FlyerFriendly change by Smisek

uastarflyer Nov 18, 2014 12:08 am

No More Interlining On Separate Tix to Non *A Partners?

#WeGotYourBackNotYourBag

OrlandoFlyer Nov 18, 2014 6:22 am

I think I saw AA announce the same restrictions last week, so I guess UA just follows like a good little sheep.

sbm12 Nov 18, 2014 7:39 am

And BA did something similar a while back. Cruddy for pax but not too surprising, especially with the IATA MSC rules.

goodeats21 Nov 18, 2014 7:53 am

Hopefully this is not as literal as presented.

I would expect other partner airlines would be included, even if they are not Star Alliance members.

Aer Lingus? Hawaiian Airlines? Etc.

Often1 Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am

There are major advantages to the DOT baggage fee rules, but this is an example of an unintended consequence and a fight that neither DOT nor the carriers want. As it involves not only US carriers, but any ticket to/from or through the US, it also involves broad swaths of any non-US global carrier with a substantial US business.

The problem is that there is a substantial possibility that DOT would take the position that if a carrier treats cross-ticket features as though on a single ticket, that the DOT bag fee rules ought to apply. But, non-*A carriers can't see what the first segment was when the passenger returns. Thus, the pax goes to check-in on the return, the passenger goes off the rails, complains to DOT and there is not only a poor customer experience, but the regulatory costs of dealing with DOT.

uanj Nov 18, 2014 8:44 am

This does not make sense. So if you fly to Barrow with luggage you should make your entire trip on DL and AS instead of taking UA to ANC and transferring?

Kacee Nov 18, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 23859626)
Hopefully this is not as literal as presented.

I would expect other partner airlines would be included, even if they are not Star Alliance members.

Aer Lingus? Hawaiian Airlines? Etc.

If you buy the itinerary on one ticket, you will still be able to interline.

zombietooth Nov 18, 2014 9:13 am

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 23859865)
This does not make sense. So if you fly to Barrow with luggage you should make your entire trip on DL and AS instead of taking UA to ANC and transferring?

Definitely customer-unfriendly.

It could just be another attempt by UA to steer traffic to itself and *A, while disregarding the many very loyal UA fliers who have no choice but to fly on other carriers outside the alliance to complete their itinerary.

Stupid move, Jeff.:td:

trk1 Nov 18, 2014 10:46 am

Most poster did not read the details

Carriers will interline on same ticket

Carriers will not interline on separate tickets non alliance.

This is no big deal

Kacee Nov 18, 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by trk1 (Post 23860468)
This is no big deal

You mean it won't affect YOU.

It will definitely affect many others. I've interlined across tickets between UA and non *A partners a half-dozen times this year.

UA practically invited this practice when it cancelled NRT-BKK.

zombietooth Nov 18, 2014 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 23860678)
You mean it won't affect YOU.

It will definitely affect many others. I've interlined across tickets between UA and non *A partners a half-dozen times this year.

UA practically invited this practice when it cancelled NRT-BKK.

You are 100% correct.

I am interlining now primarily because I can no longer get to BKK on UA metal.
I can't upgrade on NH, and UA won't sell me other carrier's flights without an outrageous mark-up.
So, since I still value 1K and need as much spend on 016 stock as I can get, I have no choice but to book separate tickets.

Now, if you're a fool with unlimited funds, no it won't affect you.

PTahCha Nov 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 23860735)
You are 100% correct.

I am interlining now primarily because I can no longer get to BKK on UA metal.
I can't upgrade on NH, and UA won't sell me other carrier's flights without an outrageous mark-up.
So, since I still value 1K and need as much spend on 016 stock as I can get, I have no choice but to book separate tickets.

Now, if you're a fool with unlimited funds, no it won't affect you.

You can always book on the same PNR via Orbitz or a (*gasp*) travel agent, if the ability to interline baggage with non *A airlines is important to you.

zombietooth Nov 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 23861105)
You can always book on the same PNR via Orbitz or a (*gasp*) travel agent, if the ability to interline baggage with non *A airlines is important to you.

I find that I can get a much better deal on biz class, intra-Asia, than any OTA by dealing directly with a human TA in Japan. But I can't book UA with him.