Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Are you booked on one ticket? How long is your mad layover?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Continental
One ticket SFO-FRA-MAD on 016stock
3 hr layover in FRA
Second ticket on Iberia
4 Hour layover in MAD
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I'll be flying SFO-FRA-MAD on United/Lufthansa, then Iberia MAD- LCG.
Is it possible to check a bag all the way through to LCG?
I'm not sure if they have an interline agreement.
Does not matter, no interlining across alliances on separate tickets
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does not matter, no interlining across alliances on separate tickets
this sounds like an overly broad statement.

In this case, the outcome is true - UA will not check bags through on separate tickets for non *A carriers. That is definitely correct. I’m not aware of any alliance-wide policy not to do so, and will be up to carrier checking one in. While UA won’t do so, other *A carriers might have different policies.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
.... While UA won’t do so, other *A carriers might have different policies.
Might not be 100%, but I think you will find this more true than not and getting truer with time.

But the important point, in this case, it is a NO for UA.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by hockey7711
One ticket SFO-FRA-MAD on 016stock
3 hr layover in FRA
Second ticket on Iberia
4 Hour layover in MAD
Besides having to claim your bags and then recheck them with IB, you will also have to do a T2-T4 transit at MAD. That is a landside bus and will take some time. The bus runs every 5 - 10 minutes during the day and the trip will take something like 7 - 10 minutes to go between the terminals. T1, T2 and T3 are in one building complex (the "old" MAD airport) and T4/T4S are in another building complex (the "new" MAD airport) about a mile apart.

I would post on the following thread in the Spain forum on connecting at MAD. Four hours is a usually a very safe connection but if your arrival at MAD is delayed more than 2 hours, you could have a problem connecting at MAD.

Connections through Madrid Airport
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

this sounds like an overly broad statement.

In this case, the outcome is true - UA will not check bags through on separate tickets for non *A carriers. That is definitely correct. I’m not aware of any alliance-wide policy not to do so, and will be up to carrier checking one in. While UA won’t do so, other *A carriers might have different policies.
Absolutely do. Example - Thai internlines to many non *A carriers.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K
I once checked interlined bags with UA on SFO-LAX flight before connecting on NH for LAX-NRT.

When I attempted to enter the United Club at SFO, I was prepared to show my Amtrak Select Plus card for access. When I scanned by boarding pass, the lounge agent said that there was no need to use my Amtrak card since I had already had access since my internary was linked with an international J ticket on another Star Alliance carrier.

I've never seen any published references to such a policy, but since I was granted access, I didn't feel like inquiring further.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Global321
Absolutely do. Example - Thai internlines to many non *A carriers.
TG is extremely accommodating on this, especially if you're flying premium cabin.

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I once checked interlined bags with UA on SFO-LAX flight before connecting on NH for LAX-NRT.

When I attempted to enter the United Club at SFO, I was prepared to show my Amtrak Select Plus card for access. When I scanned by boarding pass, the lounge agent said that there was no need to use my Amtrak card since I had already had access since my internary was linked with an international J ticket on another Star Alliance carrier.

I've never seen any published references to such a policy, but since I was granted access, I didn't feel like inquiring further.
It's not a policy, it's an unintended consequence of how UA's systems handle interlining across separate tix. UA's systems will effectively combine the reservations and treat the combination as if it were a single ticket. For this reason, you'll also get IRROPS protection, even though you technically should not.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, AE
Checked through baggage on 2 separate tickets

Economy light from SFO to LHR on UA. Separate ticket on LH 3 hours after UA flight arrives.
I am 1K
Will I be able to check 3 70lb bags through to destination on LH?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rawilliam
Economy light from SFO to LHR on UA. Separate ticket on LH 3 hours after UA flight arrives.
I am 1K
Per UA policy, you should be able to do that. You'll want to arrive a little early. The Light checked baggage restriction doesn't affect Premier members.

Getting the bags back to the states afterwards, on the other hand...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rawilliam
I am 1K
Is your onward flight on LH or EW? Lots of LH's LHR flights are actually Eurowings, and you may have a problem if yours is.

LHR is about the last airport I would try to interline on separate tix, as the consequences are dire if they refuse you at check-in for whatever reason.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Light checked baggage restriction doesn't affect Premier members.
Where did you hear this if I may ask? It most certainly applies! No free checked bags on LH on light fares!

UA might be able to do this, but there is no guarantee. If you run into issues you'll probably have enough time at LHR with 3 hours, but it is not exactly comfortable ... and you will definitely be paying for bags!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Where did you hear this if I may ask? It most certainly applies! No free checked bags on LH on light fares!
OP reported a UA lite fare, not an LH lite fare.

Though details on OP's precise onward carrier (LH or EW) and fare (lite, classic, or flex) are certainly relevant, but missing.
Originally Posted by cfischer
If you run into issues you'll probably have enough time at LHR with 3 hours, but it is not exactly comfortable
I'm not sure 3 hours would be enough if OP were forced to clear immigration and reclaim bags.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, AE
I was thinking that the bags would be checked through, so I would not have to clear customs to check the bags. Perhaps LHR is not the place to do this.

Incidentally, the LH fare turned out to be an economy light fare.

So, may have to book the itin differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.