Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes. It helps to have the second ticket printed out so they agent at DFW can reference what they need.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, it's policy for UA to interline to *A on separate tickets

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2018 at 8:36 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Never had any problem interlining bags from UA to any of the Star Alliance carriers including SQ.

I have only done this at UA hub airports.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: united
My husband and I are flying JTR (Santorini) - ATH - FRA on Olympic and Aegean respectively and then FRA - IAH UA Polaris. The JTR - ATH - FRA segment was booked on UA.com but on a separate itinerary from the FRA - IAH segment. Can our bags be checked through from JTR - IAH or will we have to grab our bag and recheck in FRA? If we have to re-check, do we have to go landside or is there a way to transfer after customs?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bariww
Can our bags be checked through from JTR - IAH or will we have to grab our bag and recheck in FRA?
That's a question for Olympic, the operating carrier of the JTR-ATH segment. It's their policy that will apply.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jsloan
That's a question for Olympic, the operating carrier of the JTR-ATH segment. It's their policy that will apply.
Do you know if there is any specific interline policy that would apply to a subsidiary of a *A partner? Since Olympic is a subsidiary of Aegean, I'm wondering if there's anything I can reference at check-in to help my cause.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bariww
Do you know if there is any specific interline policy that would apply to a subsidiary of a *A partner?
None that I've seen.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:34 am

My Fiance and I will be traveling to Phuket for our Honeymoon in October.

We are currently booked business from ORD-PEK-BKK. ORD-PEK is UA and PEK-BKK is on Hainan - These are all on the same ticket. I am looking to pick up a ticket from BKK-HKT round trip on Thai Airways which I understand is a *A member. Will UA at check-in be able to interline our bags to HKT for the outbound and ORD on the inbound? We've got a 5 hour stop over in PEK and would have a 5-6 hour stop over in BKK.

Last edited by HoosierIU; Jun 29, 2018 at 11:28 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoosierIU
My Fiance and I will be traveling to Phuket for our Honeymoon in October.

We are currently booked business from ORD-PEK-BKK. ORD-PEK is UA and PEK-BKK is on Hainan - These are all on the same ticket. I am looking to pick up a ticket from BKK-HKT round trip on Thai Airways which I understand is a *A member. Will UA at check-in be able to interline our bags to HKT for the outbound and ORD on the inbound? We've got a 5 hour stop over in PEK and would have a 5-6 hour stop over in BKK.
UA can't do anything with your luggage on the inbound. The question there is whether or not Thai will interline to Hainan. They do have a baggage agreement in place, so it's at least feasible.

On the outbound, you can probably argue that this is within policy, but I wouldn't be surprised by a blank stare or two due to the Hainan segment.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA can't do anything with your luggage on the inbound. The question there is whether or not Thai will interline to Hainan. They do have a baggage agreement in place, so it's at least feasible.

On the outbound, you can probably argue that this is within policy, but I wouldn't be surprised by a blank stare or two due to the Hainan segment.
Yeah the Hainan segement is what is causing me concern even though it was booked through united, they must have some ticketing agreement in place but of course Hainan isn't a *A member.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:57 pm

Transfer at ORD for two separate UA tickets -- checked luggage

I have a friend who intends to travel AAA-ORD (domestic) then ORD-CCC (international) on two separate revenue bookings, both flights are operated by UA, transfer time at ORD is less than 3-4 hours. The cost difference of having the two legs on same PNR vs. separate is significant for her, thus the question. If she has to check a bag at origin AAA, what is the odds of UA checking her bag all the way thru to destination (CCC), without having to claim and recheck at ORD?

To complicate matters further, what if the first leg is booked with UA and second with AA, would UA being willing to interline a checked bag with AA on separate tickets? ​(for the second leg, AA has a flight departs 30 minutes after UA flight, although I am uncertain about what the actual gain would be after accounting for distance between UA/AA gates).

Thanks for any input and all help.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I can't speak to interlining with AA.

If both revenue tickets are with UA - they "should" be able to check it to the final destination, I often do that. I say "should" - because some agents don't know how to do it and it can go relatively painless or very time consuming/painful - it gets further complicated if the second ticket flight is booked full as it my experience it has complicated things with how they have to offload/onload you to check the bag.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:10 pm
J S

The answer to my question, based on actual experience, is, "no, you cannot check through to your final destination on this itinerary."

Originally Posted by J S
Question: I am flying EWR-GVA-ATH (J on a single UAL ticket, GVA-ATH on a codeshare operated by Swiss). I am connecting in ATH to a domestic Aegean flight (in Y) on a separate ticket. Connection time is plenty long. I saw on this page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...d-baggage.aspx that one exception to the interline policy is "You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:...Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country." Anyone know if this is enforced? Can I still through check, but just need to claim, drag the bag through customs and drop off on the other side (like in the US)?

Thanks,
J S
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I can't speak to interlining with AA.

If both revenue tickets are with UA - they "should" be able to check it to the final destination, I often do that. I say "should" - because some agents don't know how to do it and it can go relatively painless or very time consuming/painful - it gets further complicated if the second ticket flight is booked full as it my experience it has complicated things with how they have to offload/onload you to check the bag.
Per policy, UA will not interline to AA across separate tickets. It's possible that a GS or 1K might get an exception to the rule, but, even still, I'd go into that situation assuming I'd need to pick up the bags and re-check them with AA.

UA-UA interline is allowable, but a chore for exactly the reasons that you state. They actually create a phantom second booking for the passenger on the target flight, and if the flight is full, that can mean getting the help desk involved to push it through. Allow an extra 30 minutes for check-in to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
UA policy is to interline with partners (and themselves). UA also has a reputation of being forgiving of missing a flight because they delivered you late; I would not expect AA to be forgiving if a UA flight on a separate ticket was late. I think the most likely outcome (by far) is that this works out fine with 3-4 hours (as long as the inbound isn't scheduled during Thunderstorm Hours at ORD). If there were a big price difference, and I could take a day delay if the inbound was late, I could see doing this UA to UA. I would not involve AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.