Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vikasr
1) Will United through check my luggage in JAC? If not, how can I get them to do so?
2) Will they issue both boarding passes in JAC?
3) Will United be responsible incase of IRROPS leading to a missed connection in LAX?
  1. They will try, but it takes a good agent to through-check from one United PNR to another (their systems are terrible for this specific action).
  2. That should be no problem.
  3. No, but they will usually try to help.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
  1. They will try, but it takes a good agent to through-check from one United PNR to another (their systems are terrible for this specific action).
  2. That should be no problem.
  3. No, but they will usually try to help.
Can you give me some info on how through check can be done on their systems so that I may ask the agent to do that way incase they are unable to through check?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vikasr
Can you give me some info on how through check can be done on their systems so that I may ask the agent to do that way incase they are unable to through check?
Tell them to call the help desk. You may have problems at an outstation like JAC. I would not count on getting it done.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:14 am
J S

Question: I am flying EWR-GVA-ATH (J on a single UAL ticket, GVA-ATH on a codeshare operated by Swiss). I am connecting in ATH to a domestic Aegean flight (in Y) on a separate ticket. Connection time is plenty long. I saw on this page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...d-baggage.aspx that one exception to the interline policy is "You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:...Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country." Anyone know if this is enforced? Can I still through check, but just need to claim, drag the bag through customs and drop off on the other side (like in the US)?

Thanks,
J S
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Question about United/Swiss itinerary

I booked Swiss J from ORD to ZRH for my family using United miles, but had to buy the positioning flight from MEM to ORD. Will we be able to check in and check our bags in Memphis for all of the flight? Or will we have to reclaim and recheck in for the Swiss flight in Chicago? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Valveking
I booked Swiss J from ORD to ZRH for my family using United miles, but had to buy the positioning flight from MEM to ORD. Will we be able to check in and check our bags in Memphis for all of the flight? Or will we have to reclaim and recheck in for the Swiss flight in Chicago? Thanks for your help.
Yes, as long as the MEM-ORD is UA/UX operated and it is not an overnight connection.

Allow extra time at check-in.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, as long as the MEM-ORD is UA/UX operated and it is not an overnight connection.

Allow extra time at check-in.

Thanks. So we can also check in in Mem for the transatlantic flight on Swiss?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Valveking
... we can also check in in Mem for the transatlantic flight on Swiss?
You will need to check-in with LX. This can be done online with LX before departure MEM (up to 23 hours prior to your LX departure)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will need to check-in with LX. This can be done online with LX before departure MEM (up to 23 hours prior to your LX departure)
Excellent. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Call baggage resolution center ahead of time to store bags with a long layover

I have an inbound flight to IAH, but my outbound flight on a partner star alliance carrier doesn't leave for about 9 hours, with the check-in counter closed until 4 hours before departure. I'd like to stay airside until then, but I'm traveling with checked luggage.

I called the baggage resolution office and they told me to call them again the day of. They said they'd call ahead to the IAH baggage office to store my luggage until I came to pick it up a couple hours later.

Has anybody done this before? I feel like it'd be okay, but the one thing I am worried about is baggage theft, so I'm wondering - if I notify them ahead of time, do they still wait for the luggage to go around the carousel for 1+ hours (e.g. like they do for other unclaimed luggage), or do they pick it up immediately?

Additionally, I was thinking about paying for BagsVIP service - https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...-Delivery.aspx , and just telling them to hold it at the baggage office for me. But then, the question remains the same - will my luggage be left on the carousel for an extended amount of time leaving room for baggage theft?

Any other options? Thanks everyone

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 16, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: merged into master thread
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alsaire
Any other options? Thanks everyone
Have the bags checked through to your destination, instead of picking them up at the carousel.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have not provided enough information for anybody to provide an accurate answer. One thing on which I would never rely is that UA would call some local baggage office and that the local baggage office, especially a massive operation such as IAH, could or would ever locate and hold bags specially for anybody.

1. Are you traveling on one ticket with a connection at IAH or are you on two tickets and simply transferring at IAH?
2. What is your routing, e.g. XXX-IAH-YYY? Need the origination and destination.
3. What is your scheduled arrival time at IAH and what is your scheduled departure time from IAH?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:40 pm

I should clarify that I intend on picking up my bags prior to check-in for my departing flight by going landside ~2 hrs prior.

-It's two separate tickets. Inbound is via UA, outbound is via a partner Star Alliance carrier. As a result I can't have them checked through.

-Inbound routing is domestic US, so I assume it's Terminal C. Destination is outbound to Asia.

-Arrival time is mid-day and I'd be leaving in the evening.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...It's two separate tickets. Inbound is via UA, outbound is via a partner Star Alliance carrier. As a result I can't have them checked through...
Yes, you can check them through on two separate tickets, one UA and the other Star Alliance.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 16, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
-It's two separate tickets. Inbound is via UA, outbound is via a partner Star Alliance carrier. As a result I can't have them checked through.
Says who?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.