Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

How would I do this? When I called UA they said no...
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alsaire
How would I do this? When I called UA they said no...
Just present your Star Alliance itinerary at the United counter at the origin airport. Ignore what you heard (or perceived to have heard) on the phone. Read the wiki here:
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Also, United uses Terminals A,B,C, and E for domestic arrivals. Good chance your departure will be out of D (not E - was thinking UA on departure).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 17, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... -It's two separate tickets. Inbound is via UA, outbound is via a partner Star Alliance carrier. As a result I can't have them checked through. ....
Generally UA will check thru as long as not overnight.
See the wiki of this thread.

However, if a overnight, UA will not. See Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Good chance your departure will be out of E.
OP is outbound on a *A flight. That's going to be Terminal D, except for Air Canada, which uses Terminal A.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Just present your Star Alliance itinerary at the United counter at the origin airport. Ignore what you heard (or perceived to have heard) on the phone. Read the wiki here:
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Also, United uses Terminals A,B,C, and E for domestic arrivals. Good chance your departure will be out of E.
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP is outbound on a *A flight. That's going to be Terminal D, except for Air Canada, which uses Terminal A.
Always interesting when people ask for help, but feel the need to be secretive on (important) but non-tracible details. (e.g. airlines involved and routes)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Global321
Always interesting when people ask for help, but feel the need to be secretive on (important) but non-tracible details. (e.g. airlines involved and routes)
I won't answer the XXX-YYY questions. If you want help, tell us the route and carrier(s).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:36 am

I can see both sides of the privacy issue regarding the desire to keep details to as little as needed, so there's no need to be so dismissive when someone errs on the side of caution.

Regarding the details, I'm inbound from EWR, likely Terminal C. Outbound from IAH is going to be on BR in Terminal D.

If I'm able to interline, is there any way to verify with BR upon check-in that UA successfully passed it on and that BR has control of my bags?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I can see both sides of the privacy issue regarding the desire to keep details to as little as needed, so there's no need to be so dismissive when someone errs on the side of caution.

Regarding the details, I'm inbound from EWR, likely Terminal C. Outbound from IAH is going to be on BR in Terminal D.

If I'm able to interline, is there any way to verify with BR upon check-in that UA successfully passed it on and that BR has control of my bags?
OK, now we're getting somewhere. BR only has one departure from IAH, to TPE. So, OP's routing is EWR-IAH & IAH-TPE and we are presuming that the bags are not at IAH overnight.

In that case, OP would present UA at EWR with a print out of his full BR itinerary. With the e-ticket number, UA can print a bag tag to TPE and that is where OP will next see his bags.

BR should be able to verify that it has the bag. Simply present your bag tag to a gate agent. However,not much to be done in any event.

For what it is worth, the details did matter and there it is hard to imagine what could be overly private about a generic bag issue. I
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Privacy? No one's going to figure out your private personal information if you share routing and carriers.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Regarding the details, I'm inbound from EWR, likely Terminal C...
Arrivals from EWR use both C and E. Doesn't really matter - C, D, and E are all connected airside w/o having to using Airtrain.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 17, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reason: ,comma,
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:13 am

I can see both sides of the privacy issue regarding the desire to keep details to as little as needed, so there's no need to be so dismissive when someone errs on the side of caution.....
HUH?!?!?! Do you have any idea of the 1,000s to 10,000s people on any given route in a given week? And of course, we don't even know which week!
If you want to keep carriers/routes a secret, then the definitive answer to your question will always be... it depends!

Now that you provided some details, see the good advice you are getting?!?! Perhaps next time you need help, you will provide the details to start to get what you want.

Glad you are getting so good advice from the experts here.

Cheers!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HUH?!?!?! Do you have any idea of the 1,000s to 10,000s people on any given route in a given week? And of course, we don't even know which week!
If you want to keep carriers/routes a secret, then the definitive answer to your question will always be... it depends!
Routine over-sharing of personal data has reached absolutely epidemic proportions online. I applaud people for not giving away unnecessary information. Responders can ask for the details that are actually relevant.

Adding these details changed nothing about the response, which was always "you can interline to a *A airline on separate tickets with a same day departure." Which specific terminal at IAH will be used for departure doesn't make any difference.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Routine over-sharing of personal data has reached absolutely epidemic proportions online. I applaud people for not giving away unnecessary information. Responders can ask for the details that are actually relevant.

Adding these details changed nothing about the response, which was always "you can interline to a *A airline on separate tickets with a same day departure." Which specific terminal at IAH will be used for departure doesn't make any difference.
Personal data? Routes are not personal - we have no idea when this person is flying, nor do we know their name, their FF number or any other personal data.

As for specific airlines/airports, yes it does matter in the sense of issues/resistance you may face. (e.g. Want to check a bag through on separate *A tickets at PBI? Plan on a 20-30 minute (or more) debate/process to work it out. FLL? Generally a smooth process.) Leaving the info at AAA to BBB on a *A flight has resulted in new threads like "I missed my flight because... ".

OP can, of course, post as little or as much information as they want. None of what was asked for - or is in discussion - is personal data. However, if one wants help, the more detailed information provided, the more accurate the advice.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personal data? Routes are not personal - we have no idea when this person is flying, nor do we know their name, their FF number or any other personal data.
You don't. I don't. But there are entire industries built around aligning information between various social media sites, either through tracking cookies or textual analysis. Someone can post one detail on Twitter, another on Facebook, and a third on Instagram, and soon enough a bad actor has enough information to do something nefarious. FlyerTalk is not that different, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone were busily trying to discern people's identities from FlyerTalk posts.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite
interline luggage UA to SQ?

I will have two different PNR numbers: DFW-IAH on UA and IAH-MAN on SQ. Is there anyway I can convince UA at DFW to check my luggage all the way through to MAN on SQ? Otherwise, at IAH, I will have to claim my bags from UA in Terminal C and then recheck with SQ in Terminal D. (I have plenty of time between flights.) The issue is that I just found out by calling IAH airport info that no luggage carts are allowed on the landside subway connecting terminals. I definitely need a cart for getting my ample bags and me to Terminal D. What do you suggest? Do you think UA at DFW will grant an interline request? How should I approach UA? If it refuses, is it possible to walk the distance at IAH, pushing the cart? How far is it?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2018 at 8:35 pm Reason: merged into master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.