Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Lucky reported a couple days ago that UA sent a memo to travel agents announcing a new policy, beginning March 1, 2015, under which it would no longer interline bags on separate tickets to non *A carriers. United Eliminating Checked Bags on Separate Tickets Outside Star Alliance.

Anyone have any info on this?

If true, this would be a major service downgrade IMO. I've interlined multiple times over the past year or so, mostly to CX. The SFO check-in agents are now able to handle these requests with ease (unlike the early days of the merger). I'm also concerned about what it would mean in reverse - will CX now decline to interline for me ex-HKG?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Sounds like another #FlyerFriendly change by Smisek
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
No More Interlining On Separate Tix to Non *A Partners?

#WeGotYourBackNotYourBag
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I think I saw AA announce the same restrictions last week, so I guess UA just follows like a good little sheep.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:39 am

And BA did something similar a while back. Cruddy for pax but not too surprising, especially with the IATA MSC rules.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hopefully this is not as literal as presented.

I would expect other partner airlines would be included, even if they are not Star Alliance members.

Aer Lingus? Hawaiian Airlines? Etc.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are major advantages to the DOT baggage fee rules, but this is an example of an unintended consequence and a fight that neither DOT nor the carriers want. As it involves not only US carriers, but any ticket to/from or through the US, it also involves broad swaths of any non-US global carrier with a substantial US business.

The problem is that there is a substantial possibility that DOT would take the position that if a carrier treats cross-ticket features as though on a single ticket, that the DOT bag fee rules ought to apply. But, non-*A carriers can't see what the first segment was when the passenger returns. Thus, the pax goes to check-in on the return, the passenger goes off the rails, complains to DOT and there is not only a poor customer experience, but the regulatory costs of dealing with DOT.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
This does not make sense. So if you fly to Barrow with luggage you should make your entire trip on DL and AS instead of taking UA to ANC and transferring?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hopefully this is not as literal as presented.

I would expect other partner airlines would be included, even if they are not Star Alliance members.

Aer Lingus? Hawaiian Airlines? Etc.
If you buy the itinerary on one ticket, you will still be able to interline.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uanj
This does not make sense. So if you fly to Barrow with luggage you should make your entire trip on DL and AS instead of taking UA to ANC and transferring?
Definitely customer-unfriendly.

It could just be another attempt by UA to steer traffic to itself and *A, while disregarding the many very loyal UA fliers who have no choice but to fly on other carriers outside the alliance to complete their itinerary.

Stupid move, Jeff.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:46 am

Most poster did not read the details

Carriers will interline on same ticket

Carriers will not interline on separate tickets non alliance.

This is no big deal
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trk1
This is no big deal
You mean it won't affect YOU.

It will definitely affect many others. I've interlined across tickets between UA and non *A partners a half-dozen times this year.

UA practically invited this practice when it cancelled NRT-BKK.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean it won't affect YOU.

It will definitely affect many others. I've interlined across tickets between UA and non *A partners a half-dozen times this year.

UA practically invited this practice when it cancelled NRT-BKK.
You are 100% correct.

I am interlining now primarily because I can no longer get to BKK on UA metal.
I can't upgrade on NH, and UA won't sell me other carrier's flights without an outrageous mark-up.
So, since I still value 1K and need as much spend on 016 stock as I can get, I have no choice but to book separate tickets.

Now, if you're a fool with unlimited funds, no it won't affect you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You are 100% correct.

I am interlining now primarily because I can no longer get to BKK on UA metal.
I can't upgrade on NH, and UA won't sell me other carrier's flights without an outrageous mark-up.
So, since I still value 1K and need as much spend on 016 stock as I can get, I have no choice but to book separate tickets.

Now, if you're a fool with unlimited funds, no it won't affect you.
You can always book on the same PNR via Orbitz or a (*gasp*) travel agent, if the ability to interline baggage with non *A airlines is important to you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
You can always book on the same PNR via Orbitz or a (*gasp*) travel agent, if the ability to interline baggage with non *A airlines is important to you.
I find that I can get a much better deal on biz class, intra-Asia, than any OTA by dealing directly with a human TA in Japan. But I can't book UA with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.