Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United will no longer check bags through on separate tickets to non-*A partners. You will have to retrieve your bags and re-check them.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by benz37
Later this week, I will be flying from SFO to Paris Charles de Gaulle, and connecting to an Air France flight to Casablanca, which I separately booked with Air France. Will United check my bag through to Casablanca on the Air France flight, ....
No UA will not check-thru / interline bags to a non-partner with separate tickets. This has become the standard practice in the industry.

With only a 2 hour connection and believe with separate tickets, your bags will first have to enter EU/France ad you will need to recheck at the AF counter -- you connect looks ... difficult.

Will merge this into the master thread on bag interlining. There you will find the formal UA statement in the thread's wiki and links to it on united.com.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 6:56 pm Reason: moving to consoldiated thread
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Watch the terminals. On UA you will normally be arriving terminal 1, and on AF leaving from one of the 2 terminals. It takes a long time to get from terminal 1 to any other terminal. On top of retrieving and re-checking a bag, that is very tight. I would not do that. You may want to have a back-up plan in case you miss the AF flight.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Later this week, I will be flying from SFO to Paris Charles de Gaulle, and connecting to an Air France flight to Casablanca, which I separately booked with Air France. Will United check my bag through to Casablanca on the Air France flight, or will I need to retrieve my luggage at CDG and have to re-check it to Casablanca? I only have a 2+ hour layover in Paris, so I'm worried I might not have enough time to make the connection if I have to go through immigration, retrieve my luggage, and recheck it onto the Air France flight.
You've got more of an issue than just your baggage transferring. As you note, you will need to go through immigration and collect your checked baggage -- but you will also now have to change Terminals. UA (and other *A airlines use Terminal 1). Air France uses Terminal 2 and its many satellites. Depending on which Terminal 2 satellite your Casablanca flight departs from, you will need to either take a shuttle train or a shuttle bus from Terminal 1 -- and then probably a significant walk -- all with your bags to check in for your AF flight. I would never allow just 2 hours for this. If you know exactly what you must do and everything goes perfectly, you can do it. But if anything goes wrong, you will not have enough time.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Just a data point to add. Last week I flew UA SFO-LHR and then on a separate ticket BA LHR-ATH and I guess it is agent dependent but he was able to check my bag all the way through to ATH.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Just a data point to add. Last week I flew UA SFO-LHR and then on a separate ticket BA LHR-ATH and I guess it is agent dependent but he was able to check my bag all the way through to ATH.
There have been occasional reports of agents doing this for 1Ks/GSs but not aware of any written policy, so YMMV
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Just to note, there's certainly no system limitation - they are certainly "able" to do it.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Later this week, I will be flying from SFO to Paris Charles de Gaulle, and connecting to an Air France flight to Casablanca, which I separately booked with Air France. ...
Just to be clear -- this is NT actually a connection, as you are not on a single ticket. The minimum legal connecting time between T1 and T2 at CDG, for passengers with a single ticket who do not have to check-in again or re-check bags, is 2 hours. (For those going between T1 and T2G it's even longer.)

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 25, 2019 at 5:55 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the input. I decided not to take a chance, especially when I got conflicting answers when calling the 1K desk, and rebooked my Air France flight. I now have a 5 hour layover in CDG, which should be more than enough time to exit immigration, retrieve my luggage, check in with Air France, and make my way to the gate for my flight to Casablanca. Thanks again.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Just to be clear -- this is NT actually a connection, as you are not on a single ticket. The minimum legal connecting time between T1 and T2 at CDG, for passengers with a single ticket who do not have to check-in again or re-check bags, is 2 hours. (For those going between T1 and T2G it's even longer.)
A notable point here is the MCT must be met regardless of other factors to interline the bags.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Thanks for all the input. I decided not to take a chance, especially when I got conflicting answers when calling the 1K desk, and rebooked my Air France flight. I now have a 5 hour layover in CDG, which should be more than enough time to exit immigration, retrieve my luggage, check in with Air France, and make my way to the gate for my flight to Casablanca. Thanks again.
This is a very wise decision. As pointed out, the MCT is 2:00 hours when you don't have recheck bags. Given that your bags would need to be rechecked at least 45 minutes to an hour before your second flight -- and after you have schlepped them by yourself from T1 to T2, a successful transfer would be very iffy. And this is especially so if you are not familiar with CDG. It takes time to determine whether you have to use the transfer bus or train -- and then to find the stop.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:49 am

Interlining Baggage with Air NZ & United

Hello there,

I've got a LAX to London return booked with Air New Zealand and am booking an internal flight to LAX on the same day from Vegas. I was wondering if United will interline the baggage from check in at LAS all the way through to London or will I need to collect the luggage at LAX and re-check in with Air NZ? They're both Star Alliance so I was hoping they would interline. Does anyone know?

Many thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2019 at 11:58 am Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, UA will interline your bag to NZ. You should have a printed copy of your NZ e-ticket receipt (showing the e-ticket number, not just PNR) handy for the check-in agent as this makes it easier, faster, and less error prone. If you worry about these things, ask NZ at the lounge or gate to confirm that it has your bag.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Allow extra time at LAS as UA agent competence on interlining varies anywhere IME from 'done in 2 minutes' to '40 minutes including multiple calls to the help desk, and with an attitude too'.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Does UA allow to check bags to the final destination in two separate reservations. The first one is XXX-ORD in UA ( domestic ) which I would have 2 pieces and pay for the second piece that is not included in my ticket and the second one is ORD-WAW-IST in LOT which has minimum 2 free pieces for *G. Would the United representatives in XXX be able to check my bags all the way through or they would kindly ask me to reclaim my bags at ORD. I am Star Gold in another airline than United so I would check my bags in the Premier Check-in area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.