Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Interlining Bags at EWR

How much time do I need for a connection at EWR in order to have my bags interlined?

I have the "longest flight in the world" on SQ at EWR at 9:45 AM December 10.

There is a UA flight from TPA that arrives at 8:40 AM.

Is 1:05 enough time for a legal connection to a different *A carrier with baggage at EWR?

Last edited by TomA; Nov 25, 2018 at 12:04 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:48 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by TomA
How much time do I need for a connection at EWR in order to have my bags interlined?

Is 1:05 enough time for a legal connection to a different @A carrier with baggage at EWR?
An hour and five minutes should be fine for a UA to SQ transfer at EWR.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT

Is 1:05 enough time for a legal connection to a different @A carrier with baggage at EWR?
The SQ flight presumably departs from terminal B, whereas you will be coming in likely to terminal C.

The SIN flight leaving at 9.45am I would assume starts boarding at say 9.05am at the latest.... assuming you are on time, you would land 25 minutes before boarding commences for the long flights, so I wouldn't be hanging around at all to get to terminal B.. either taking (and likely waiting for) the bus connection, or going out of the secure area and clearing security again in terminal B.

Given you are going to be on the SIN flight for plenty of time, I would take an earlier flight from TPA, relax getting off that flight, use the real bathrooms on the ground :-) and partake of a lounge without having to stress over making the connection.

The more I think about it, I wouldn't have it so, close, but YMMV.

Monday morning, December in Newark, transfer terminals via bus or re-clearing security....... why worry about it?

Good luck and let us know which way you go! (And if you make it!)

Best

G
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Did you choose to use the term “interlining” because you are flying across two separately booked tickets?

If that’s the case, I’d make the United flight up from TPA the night before and just overnight at an EWR airport hotel. No guarantee SQ would accommodate you if the morning United flight is delayed, causing you to miss the SQ flight.

Now, if on one ticket, I’d recommend the earlier morning flight, giving you the longer layover at EWR. If you’re in Business on SQ, enjoy the EWR Polaris Lounge. If on one ticket and delayed because of United, United would have to reaccommodate you on another flight(s) to SIN.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Given you are going to be on the SIN flight for plenty of time, I would take an earlier flight from TPA, relax getting off that flight, use the real bathrooms on the ground :-) and partake of a lounge without having to stress over making the connection.
Pretty sure the flight from TPA the OP had described is the first flight of the day. Flying into EWR from TPA would take 2 hrs+, so that flight would depart around 6am out of TPA. Don't think there is an earlier flight.

OP, separate or one ticket? If separate, highly recommend arriving the night before.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This is a huge risk on two tickets. Forget about baggage, are you prepared to buy a new SQ ticket if your UA flight gets in late? Come in the night before.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
An hour and five minutes should be fine for a UA to SQ transfer at EWR.
No, it’s not. It’s not even close, for the reasons that have been mentioned. The Minimum Connection Time (MCT) is 2 hours for a domestic-international connection from UA. UA will not sell this on a single ticket and will not check the bags through on separate tickets.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not sell this as a connection and thus will neither protect OP if it is delayed nor check his bags through. If he wishes to fly this route, he will need to purchase this with a TPA departure the day before (he has up to 24 hours at EWR as this is an international connection).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
If he wishes to fly this route, he will need to purchase this with a TPA departure the day before (he has up to 24 hours at EWR as this is an international connection).
The 24-hour rule isn’t likely to come into play, because I can’t imagine the OP will want to pay for these flights on a single ticket. I got a price of about $3900 RT in UA Y / SQ PE (R) when I tried it. UA isn’t going to sell a discount TPA-EWR fare in combination with an SQ EWR-SIN fare; they want to sell TPA-SIN via SFO.

This would need to be booked as separate tickets, but absolutely should include an overnight on the way out and a long transfer time on the way back due to immigration, customs, and C concourse security at EWR.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Originally Posted by sannmann
Did you choose to use the term “interlining” because you are flying across two separately booked tickets?

If that’s the case, I’d make the United flight up from TPA the night before and just overnight at an EWR airport hotel. No guarantee SQ would accommodate you if the morning United flight is delayed, causing you to miss the SQ flight.

Thanks for the info on the terminals guys. I've flown through EWR to SIN many times, but always on UA Polaris connections so I wasn't aware of the processes for getting to an SQ connection. I've made my status on UA for the year, so I wanted to try this flight instead.

I guess I'm still going to do it just for the experience, but it looks like the unfortunate connections will make it no more convenient from TPA than taking UA which has the connection in HKG, but doesn't require an overnight. I wonder if SQ is thinking they'll get all of their business from New England? That timing isn't going to be good for connections from anywhere else.

Yes, two separate tickets. You can't make a single flight from TPA that connects with SQ 21/22, even leaving at night. I tried that--all options use JetBlue and route through Europe.
That is the earliest flight that day, so it looks like I'm going to need the prior evening's flight and a hotel.

Originally Posted by jsloan

UA isn’t going to sell a discount TPA-EWR fare in combination with an SQ EWR-SIN fare; they want to sell TPA-SIN via SFO.
Yep. You're right! They don't... good call.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if SQ is thinking they'll get all of their business from New England? That timing isn't going to be good for connections from anywhere else.
SQ’s connections are at the other end of the flight. Their intention is to serve Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia / India / etc. to New York.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many of the broader issues have already been addressed, but just wanted to emphasize that the answer to this specific question is that if you want to interline bags across separate tix, you have to meet the MCT. I haven't checked EF, so will defer to jsloan that it's two hours on an offline D-I connection at EWR.
I wonder if SQ is thinking they'll get all of their business from New England? That timing isn't going to be good for connections from anywhere else.
SQ isn't looking to draw U.S. feed from anywhere except metro NYC. Most of their passengers will be Asia originating, though they are happy to serve the massive NYC market as well.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To summarize, as separate tickets UA will not interline bags for this case as it does not meet the MCT for DI UA-SQ at EWR. Additionally, there would not be the time to pick up bags and recheck. It would be a tight, high risk connection for a no check bag situation.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at EWR
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline SQ
Flight type Domestic to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.30 1.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.30 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
UA-** DI 2.00
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To summarize, as separate tickets UA will not interline bags for this case as it does not meet the MCT for DI UA-SQ at EWR. Additionally, there would not be the time to pick up bags and recheck. It would be a tight, high risk connection for a no check bag situation.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Thanks for this. This is a 6 week trip, so I'll definitely be checking a bag. (I've done it with a carry-on before when my checked allotment was used for commercial carg–but that really ends up sucking.)

So that means the minimum connect time is 1 hour and 15 minutes?
It's funny because I called the 1K line and the agent said, "I think as long as you have an hour it's fine."
(This is exactly why I decided to ask here rather than just listen to the agent.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: Split and moved EWR discussion to EWR thread
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So that means the minimum connect time is 1 hour and 15 minutes?
It's funny because I called the 1K line and the agent said, "I think as long as you have an hour it's fine."
(This is exactly why I decided to ask here rather than just listen to the agent.)
The minimum connection time is 2 hours. The second line overrides the generic rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.