Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
DL declined to renew its interline ticketing agreement with AA in 2015. That's different from an interline baggage agreement.

The interline ticketing agreement was just reinstated very recently, in January of this year.
My mistake, I had thought the baggage agreement went with the ticketing agreement, since I'm not sure what the point of an interline baggage agreement is absent either an interline ticketing agreement or a policy to allow interline baggage checking on separate tickets.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure what the point of an interline baggage agreement is absent either an interline ticketing agreement or a policy to allow interline baggage checking on separate tickets.
The two would seem conceptually related, but note that EF provides separate lists of "may issue tickets including" and "may check bags to."
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The two would seem conceptually related, but note that EF provides separate lists of "may issue tickets including" and "may check bags to."
Indeed -- and it made sense in the pre-checked-bag-fee era. But now that airlines are refusing to check luggage on separate tickets -- all the US airlines have similar policies to UA -- I'm not sure I know what the point is anymore. But, hey, many air travel documents are still provided in ALL CAPS, just in case someone's using a 7-bit terminal without lowercase character support. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Two PNR trips. Can I ask to check luggage through?

Work bought a ticket ORD on. I have a positioning flight to/from ORD . Can I ask to check bags through all flights at airport?
Old May 2, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Work bought a ticket ORD on. I have a positioning flight to/from ORD . Can I ask to check bags through all flights at airport?
What carrier are both the flights on?
Old May 2, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Of course you can ask. Expect the answer to be ‘no’.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If both carriers ar UA or an *A partner, this is standard policy to interline on separate PNRs. And easily done.

If the not a partner, then, in general, the answer is no.

If UA to UA, while the answer is yes, interesting if the agent has not done this before, it may take extra time.

One caveat, this will not be done for overnight connections.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Of course you can ask. Expect the answer to be ‘no’.
Why don’t you actually provide information....Explain the reasoning!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2018 at 6:52 pm Reason: overly personalized comments removed
Old May 3, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Why don’t you actually provide information....Explain the reasoning!
ME-OW!

Anyway, thanks to all! While a codeshare is involved all are UA ticketed.

THANK YOU!
Old May 3, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While a codeshare is involved all are UA ticketed.....
Careful

If the flight into ORD is not UA operated, but a partner / codeshare, then the answer lies with the partner. The rules and policies of theinitial operating airline determines the outcome. Generally *A partners are OK on interlining between separate tickets but you need to check with the partner to be sure. Codeshares or who you ticketed with provide no extra benefit in this case.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Careful

If the flight into ORD is not UA operated, but a partner / codeshare, then the answer lies with the partner. The rules and policies of theinitial operating airline determines the outcome. Generally *A partners are OK on interlining between separate tickets but you need to check with the partner to be sure. Codeshares or who you ticketed with provide no extra benefit in this case.
Great point! Thank you!
Old May 8, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
Through Checked baggage with two *A tickets?

I have one ticket ORD-MUC-ATH on UA and LH, and a separate ticket from ATH to JTR (Santorini) on Olympic Airlines (2.5 hour layover in ATH), but ticketed as an Aegean Airlines flight. Aegean is *A. Will UA allow me to check my bag through from ORD to JRT even though I have two separate tickets? I have had good luck before with Delta and other SkyTeam carriers on similar circumstance. Thx

Last edited by 60614; May 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question Urgent quick questions: Different tickets interline baggage

Hello folks,
An urgent question...need to ticket this itinerary soon. I am a United 1K flying in from BLR-SIN-LAX-IAH (see below). I am planning to get a separate ticket for the BLR-SIN - say with Singapore (SQ), or Air India (AI) or Jet Airways (9W) because if I add that segment with SQ on L fare, or AI on some cheap fare, the SIN-LAX-IAH automatically bumps to a "B" fare and the fare rises to $3K - $4K in economy.

Questions:
1) Since SQ and AI are Star partners with UA, will I be able to check-in my bags all the way from BLR-LAX (customs)-IAH even though they are on two separate tickets?
2) If I choose 9W, since UA has an interline with 9W, will BLR staff check my bags all the way?
3) There is also an Indigo option from BLR-SIN...anyone know what the baggage allowance there is for BLR-SIN?
4) The BLR-SIN segment may be a weight concept (max. 30 kgs?) as opposed to piece concept, right? If so, will they consider that I am a US bound passenger in BLR and offer me piece concept because of interline though the first ticket is only for BLR-SIN?
5) If it is a weight concept (30kg) can I check-in two bags, so long as the combined weight is less than 30 kgs?

Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Singapore, SG (SIN) to Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)

• Depart: 10:00 a.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Singapore, SG (SIN)
  • Arrive: 11:05 a.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
  • Flight Time:16 hr 5 mn Flight distance: 8,770 m/14,114 km
    • Flight:UA38
  •  
    • Aircraft: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
    • Fare Class: United Economy (W)
    • Meal: Lunch

Change Planes. Connect time in Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) is 2 hr 19 mn.
  • Depart: 1:24 p.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
  • Arrive: 6:40 p.m. Tue., Jun. 12, 2018 Houston, TX, US (IAH - Intercontinental)
  • Flight Time:3 hr 16 mn
  • Travel Time:
    21 hr 40 mn
  • Flight distance:
  • 1,379 m/2,219 kmTotal Distance:
    10,149 m/16,333 km
  • Flight: UA1241
  •  
    • Aircraft: Boeing 737-900
    • Fare Class: United Economy (W)
Old May 10, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by surram
An urgent question...need to ticket this itinerary soon. I am a United 1K flying in from BLR-SIN-LAX-IAH (see below). I am planning to get a separate ticket for the BLR-SIN - say with Singapore (SQ), or Air India (AI) or Jet Airways (9W) because if I add that segment with SQ on L fare, or AI on some cheap fare, the SIN-LAX-IAH automatically bumps to a "B" fare and the fare rises to $3K - $4K in economy.

Questions:
1) Since SQ and AI are Star partners with UA, will I be able to check-in my bags all the way from BLR-LAX (customs)-IAH even though they are on two separate tickets?....
The check-thru decision is made by the first check-in carrier. Since this is not UA, not really a UA question.

In general for *A, the carriers will check-thru to another *A carrier, but to be sure you will need to validate with the carrier of the flight out of BLR. There are separate FT forums for SQ, 9W and AI.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surram
Hello folks,

Questions:
1) Since SQ and AI are Star partners with UA, will I be able to check-in my bags all the way from BLR-LAX (customs)-IAH even though they are on two separate tickets?
2) If I choose 9W, since UA has an interline with 9W, will BLR staff check my bags all the way?
3) There is also an Indigo option from BLR-SIN...anyone know what the baggage allowance there is for BLR-SIN?
4) The BLR-SIN segment may be a weight concept (max. 30 kgs?) as opposed to piece concept, right? If so, will they consider that I am a US bound passenger in BLR and offer me piece concept because of interline though the first ticket is only for BLR-SIN?
5) If it is a weight concept (30kg) can I check-in two bags, so long as the combined weight is less than 30 kgs?
These questions belong in the fora for those airlines. UA will accept the bag if it's interlined to them, but it's up to those carriers whether or not they'll do so.

The answer to #5 would be yes. When flying with the weight system, the number of pieces checked is irrelevant; only the total weight matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.