Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sapguy (Post # 1319)
So for the next 2 trips, I am buying F instead of chancing PP. And CPU? What’s that???
CPU = complimentary Premier upgrade

I realize the comment indicates the FlyerTalker no longer needs to worry about them, but the definition is for those who may take the question literally.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
CPU = complimentary Premier upgrade

I realize the comment indicates the FlyerTalker no longer needs to worry about them, but the definition is for those who may take the question literally.
The reality is that CPU have gone “The way of the Dodo”, unless it’s an odd hour flight on a route not heavily traveled by GS or 1K, or a very short flight. At least that has been my experience in 2024, so far!
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by sapguy
The reality is that CPU have gone “The way of the Dodo”, unless it’s an odd hour flight on a route not heavily traveled by GS or 1K, or a very short flight. At least that has been my experience in 2024, so far!
These are the good old days: it’s likely going to get worse. 😞
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
LAX-EWR did not clear even with PP applied.
Actually LAX (and SFO) - EWR only upgrade on PP or miles, no CPUs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Central Processing Unit. This is where Sark lives to screw the user(s).
This CPU decides who gets CPUed.🤪 we need to give it more respect and worship it😄
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by jsloan
US members had to earn 100K PQM and 15K PQD in the last year prior to the introduction of PQPs. International members had the PQD requirement waived. So whereas it was theoretically possible for a foreign member to achieve 1K for a few thousand dollars in long-haul economy, it cost at least $15K for a US member.

Between the starting bonuses (which are unlikely to continue0, credit cards, earnings on award travel, and the fact that some partner flights earn PQP at more than 1 PQP / $, I spent less than $15K last year to re-qualify as 1K, and I project to do so again this year.
Is this still true for Foreign address holders for United?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ACC2008 (Post # 1326)
Is this still true for Foreign address holders for United?
No, this distinction based on the account holder's address was eliminated several years ago. The qualification criteria for UA MileagePlus™ Premier 1K (and lower) is the same worldwide.
jsloan, ContinentalFan and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I was the only 1K (no GS) on my flight last night (SEA-EWR redeye) judging by preboards. Maybe a slow week due to Easter, but I’m getting incredible value out of 1K so far in terms of upgrades.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:30 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Kmxu
This CPU decides who gets CPUed.🤪 we need to give it more respect and worship it😄
Sark never CPUs me on the way to TRON
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I was the only 1K (no GS) on my flight last night (SEA-EWR redeye) judging by preboards. Maybe a slow week due to Easter, but I’m getting incredible value out of 1K so far in terms of upgrades.
Not all 1K/GS utilize preboard.

When I was a 1K, I remember being one of the last ones boarding an DEN-EWR flight when the GA had commented, "oh you are my only 1K for this flight". Absent direct confirmation, always assume there are GS and especially 1K on board on mainline flights.
SPN Lifer and LaserSailor like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
"Incredible value" is not that easy to quantify.
My average CPM cost has gone down at least 20% since I've become a free agent. That's extra money that can be spent on paid premium cabin fares on other carriers. In addition, by having lots of miles available for other programs, instead of only with UA, I am able to pick-up international awards on other carriers in F/J for much cheaper prices than on UA. My last flight to TYO was only 80K AA miles in JL F. Their F product is fantastic. Now, I had to cancel my UA itinerary for a FFC at the last minute in order to pick up the JL F flight, but it was well worth it. And, I'll be able to use the UA FFC no problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 3, 2024 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not all 1K/GS utilize preboard.

When I was a 1K, I remember being one of the last ones boarding an DEN-EWR flight when the GA had commented, "oh you are my only 1K for this flight". Absent direct confirmation, always assume there are GS and especially 1K on board on mainline flights.
Well, I was also the top of the upgrade list on a K fare until I cleared at T-36 so ... either way an incredibly low number of 1K/GS on my flight compared to previous years.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
"Incredible value" is not that easy to quantify.
My average CPM cost has gone down at least 20% since I've become a free agent. That's extra money that can be spent on paid premium cabin fares on other carriers. In addition, by having lots of miles available for other programs, instead of only with UA, I am able to pick-up international awards on other carriers in F/J for much cheaper prices than on UA. My last flight to TYO was only 80K AA miles in JL F. Their F product is fantastic. Now, I had to cancel my UA itinerary for a FFC at the last minute in order to pick up the JL F flight, but it was well worth it. And, I'll be able to use the UA FFC no problem.
In my case it helps that UA is cheapest [of the majors] on SEA-NYC when booking in advance. My average segment cost is ~$160. I'm not going out of my way to pay extra to fly UA (if anything, DL/AS want $30-100 more for the same flight). The F product might not be great, but it sure beats sitting in Y.

I concede given my volume of flying I could probably earn a substantial (200-300k?) number of RDM as an AS MVP100K but the route network just isn't there for me unfortunately. I might add DL as a backup carrier if I hit 1K early this year.
uanj and zombietooth like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In my case it helps that UA is cheapest [of the majors] on SEA-NYC when booking in advance. My average segment cost is ~$160. I'm not going out of my way to pay extra to fly UA (if anything, DL/AS want $30-100 more for the same flight). The F product might not be great, but it sure beats sitting in Y.
UA ex-SEA is competing with AS and DL at their own turf, so it needs to discount its fares to attract average flyers in the seats. Just as an example, you could fly to Hawaii for $100 each way on UA (basic econ fare, or $150 non-BE), so definitely choosing UA as the better play for cost sensitive pax.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The F product might not be great, but it sure beats sitting in Y.
I loathe UA's slimline F seats, they are the worst in the air. Now that I've put over 100K miles on other carriers in the last 2 years, I realize just how poor UA's domestic F seats are.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS
I second this sentiment. UA on NYC-SEA is hard to beat price and upgrade wise. I fly the route ~ every 10-12 days and my average cost per segment is basically the same as yours and routinely hundreds of dollars cheaper than my partner flying the same route on AS. Add that as a GS I am 11/12 on upgrades this year to and from SEA (albeit using PP) and I absolutely can not complain this year. Obviously anecdotal and my own experience on a far less trafficked route but sure does make me happy.
uanj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.