Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:25 pm
  #706  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 3,233
rcch0 I cannot answer your question, but I did notice on one of my flights a couple of weeks ago there was an upgrade list and a seat available. The seat was not taken but when I looked on the flight status after we landed it showed #1 on the upgrade list had been upgraded and assigned the seat. I can assure you no one sat in the seat. The upgrade was not showing before the door closed and I was curious if the list was going to be run. It was obviously run after the doors closed.

If I were the pax i would have been miffed! CPU or not
Aussienarelle is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:25 pm
  #707  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by rcch0
I had a weird CPU experience happen yesterday that I wanted to see if anyone on FT could answer...

Me (1K) was 3/7 on the upgrade list, and my partner (Silver, on separate PNR) was 6/7. At T-60 or T-30 (can't remember; whatever the automated upgrade clear time is for YYZ-EWR), everyone on the upgrade list cleared except for me and my partner. There were still 3 seats left in J, so I held out hope.

Unfortunately, the plane departed and we were not upgraded. The 3 seats in J were left empty.

I was refreshing the upgrade list pretty frequently on the day of the flight, and I'm pretty sure the ordering list never changed. Does anyone know why this might've happened, and why we were the only ones left in Y? Obviously not a big deal at all on such a short flight, but mostly for my own curiosity.
If you were on same itinerary, your partner being Silver kept you back. Why they left with empty J seats I have no idea
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:00 pm
  #708  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
rcch0 I cannot answer your question, but I did notice on one of my flights a couple of weeks ago there was an upgrade list and a seat available. The seat was not taken but when I looked on the flight status after we landed it showed #1 on the upgrade list had been upgraded and assigned the seat. I can assure you no one sat in the seat. The upgrade was not showing before the door closed and I was curious if the list was going to be run. It was obviously run after the doors closed.

If I were the pax i would have been miffed! CPU or not
I've had this happen to me before. Pretty frustrating...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Amargolis is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:14 am
  #709  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EP, B6 M4
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you were on same itinerary, your partner being Silver kept you back. Why they left with empty J seats I have no idea
We were on different itineraries / confirmations though... Which made me even more confused. Even if they somehow lumped us together through computer magic, there were still two adjacent seats (1C and 1D) left empty in J.

Also, in the past when we were on the same confirmation it's upgraded both of us at T-96, so I thought it would respect the higher status of the two?
rcch0 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:45 am
  #710  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by rcch0
We were on different itineraries / confirmations though... Which made me even more confused. Even if they somehow lumped us together through computer magic, there were still two adjacent seats (1C and 1D) left empty in J.

Also, in the past when we were on the same confirmation it's upgraded both of us at T-96, so I thought it would respect the higher status of the two?
Weird unless they connected you somehow. I believe the lower status drags down, not the other way around.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:41 pm
  #711  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott lifetime Platinum
Posts: 382
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
ORD-PHX (upgraded with PPs)
PHX-ORD (#48 as a 1K!!!! Granted this was the day after the Super Bowl)
ORD-DEN (upgraded via CPU on a high density 777 at 24 hours... surprise!)
DEN-SLC (fail)
SLC-ORD (fail on a B fare)
ORD-DEN (fail on a Y fare)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
zombietooth and mikeyf like this.
Slurve30 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:43 pm
  #712  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,154
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.
The disconnect between 1K requalification threshold and 1K benefits continues to widen.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:20 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA/NYC/IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,030
Isn't next year the real cliff? i.e. most people either (re)qualified at the lower 2022 number or were outright extended from what I recall. So, I'd expect no real improvement until January 2024.
cesco.g and ContinentalFan like this.
Polytonic is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:49 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,647
I thought there was also the problem of upgrade lists not getting updated to reflect reductions in status
angetenar is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:46 pm
  #715  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BOS, PVG
Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 10,002
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
ORD-PHX (upgraded with PPs)
PHX-ORD (#48 as a 1K!!!! Granted this was the day after the Super Bowl)
ORD-DEN (upgraded via CPU on a high density 777 at 24 hours... surprise!)
DEN-SLC (fail)
SLC-ORD (fail on a B fare)
ORD-DEN (fail on a Y fare)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
This looks really bad.
kb1992 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:12 pm
  #716  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alexandria, Longboat Key
Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
ORD-PHX (upgraded with PPs)
PHX-ORD (#48 as a 1K!!!! Granted this was the day after the Super Bowl)
ORD-DEN (upgraded via CPU on a high density 777 at 24 hours... surprise!)
DEN-SLC (fail)
SLC-ORD (fail on a B fare)
ORD-DEN (fail on a Y fare)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
Woof on those Y and B fares but upgraded at check-in on a high density 777 on ORD-DEN is incredible.
Longboater is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:17 pm
  #717  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alexandria, Longboat Key
Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Posts: 2,329
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Isn't next year the real cliff? i.e. most people either (re)qualified at the lower 2022 number or were outright extended from what I recall. So, I'd expect no real improvement until January 2024.
Correct. Next year, I am going to drop down to Gold. With the previous qualification, I would only be dropping down to Platinum. Under the new qualification for 2023, I would only have made Platinum last year and that is based on PQP only rather than the PQF + PQP.
Longboater is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:25 pm
  #718  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL Plat/2MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil.
Posts: 4,565
My wife on a YN (award) fare ORD-SFO on Saturday is >#30 on the upgrade waitlist. And here I thought Saturday would be a good day for upgrades. Tough route.
FlytheTail is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:38 pm
  #719  
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 33,857
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Isn't next year the real cliff? i.e. most people either (re)qualified at the lower 2022 number or were outright extended from what I recall. So, I'd expect no real improvement until January 2024.
There is no real cliff. I've been in this game for 20 years. Every year people say this is the January/February where we finally get rid of all those lite 1Ks who can't requalify. It never happens. There are always new elites to take their places.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:53 pm
  #720  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by CMK10
There is no real cliff. I've been in this game for 20 years. Every year people say this is the January/February where we finally get rid of all those lite 1Ks who can't requalify. It never happens. There are always new elites to take their places.
and there are plenty of lower status flyers who willingly pay to sit up front. I wont play the status loyalty game because in the end its just not worth the return on your loyalty investment. Whichever airline if I want to sit up front I will pay to do so and not leave it to chance. United will take my money first before they place a GS/1K in a free upgrade.
nnn and zombietooth like this.
kulak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.