Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
rcch0 I cannot answer your question, but I did notice on one of my flights a couple of weeks ago there was an upgrade list and a seat available. The seat was not taken but when I looked on the flight status after we landed it showed #1 on the upgrade list had been upgraded and assigned the seat. I can assure you no one sat in the seat. The upgrade was not showing before the door closed and I was curious if the list was going to be run. It was obviously run after the doors closed.

If I were the pax i would have been miffed! CPU or not
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by rcch0
I had a weird CPU experience happen yesterday that I wanted to see if anyone on FT could answer...

Me (1K) was 3/7 on the upgrade list, and my partner (Silver, on separate PNR) was 6/7. At T-60 or T-30 (can't remember; whatever the automated upgrade clear time is for YYZ-EWR), everyone on the upgrade list cleared except for me and my partner. There were still 3 seats left in J, so I held out hope.

Unfortunately, the plane departed and we were not upgraded. The 3 seats in J were left empty.

I was refreshing the upgrade list pretty frequently on the day of the flight, and I'm pretty sure the ordering list never changed. Does anyone know why this might've happened, and why we were the only ones left in Y? Obviously not a big deal at all on such a short flight, but mostly for my own curiosity.
If you were on same itinerary, your partner being Silver kept you back. Why they left with empty J seats I have no idea
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
rcch0 I cannot answer your question, but I did notice on one of my flights a couple of weeks ago there was an upgrade list and a seat available. The seat was not taken but when I looked on the flight status after we landed it showed #1 on the upgrade list had been upgraded and assigned the seat. I can assure you no one sat in the seat. The upgrade was not showing before the door closed and I was curious if the list was going to be run. It was obviously run after the doors closed.

If I were the pax i would have been miffed! CPU or not
I've had this happen to me before. Pretty frustrating...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EP, B6 M4
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you were on same itinerary, your partner being Silver kept you back. Why they left with empty J seats I have no idea
We were on different itineraries / confirmations though... Which made me even more confused. Even if they somehow lumped us together through computer magic, there were still two adjacent seats (1C and 1D) left empty in J.

Also, in the past when we were on the same confirmation it's upgraded both of us at T-96, so I thought it would respect the higher status of the two?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by rcch0
We were on different itineraries / confirmations though... Which made me even more confused. Even if they somehow lumped us together through computer magic, there were still two adjacent seats (1C and 1D) left empty in J.

Also, in the past when we were on the same confirmation it's upgraded both of us at T-96, so I thought it would respect the higher status of the two?
Weird unless they connected you somehow. I believe the lower status drags down, not the other way around.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott lifetime Platinum
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
ORD-PHX (upgraded with PPs)
PHX-ORD (#48 as a 1K!!!! Granted this was the day after the Super Bowl)
ORD-DEN (upgraded via CPU on a high density 777 at 24 hours... surprise!)
DEN-SLC (fail)
SLC-ORD (fail on a B fare)
ORD-DEN (fail on a Y fare)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
zombietooth and mikeyf like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Slurve30
Herd has certainly not thinned. I am 2 of 11 this year on upgrades as a 1K, including some on some very high fares.
The disconnect between 1K requalification threshold and 1K benefits continues to widen.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Isn't next year the real cliff? i.e. most people either (re)qualified at the lower 2022 number or were outright extended from what I recall. So, I'd expect no real improvement until January 2024.
cesco.g and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA
I thought there was also the problem of upgrade lists not getting updated to reflect reductions in status
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
DEN-SLC (fail)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
This looks really bad.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select

ORD-LAX (fail)
LAX-ORD (fail)
DEN-SLC (fail)
DEN-ORD (fail)
ORD-ATL (fail)
ATL-ORD (fail)
Woof on those Y and B fares but upgraded at check-in on a high density 777 on ORD-DEN is incredible.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Isn't next year the real cliff? i.e. most people either (re)qualified at the lower 2022 number or were outright extended from what I recall. So, I'd expect no real improvement until January 2024.
Correct. Next year, I am going to drop down to Gold. With the previous qualification, I would only be dropping down to Platinum. Under the new qualification for 2023, I would only have made Platinum last year and that is based on PQP only rather than the PQF + PQP.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
My wife on a YN (award) fare ORD-SFO on Saturday is >#30 on the upgrade waitlist. And here I thought Saturday would be a good day for upgrades. Tough route.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Polytonic
There is no real cliff. I've been in this game for 20 years. Every year people say this is the January/February where we finally get rid of all those lite 1Ks who can't requalify. It never happens. There are always new elites to take their places.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
There is no real cliff. I've been in this game for 20 years. Every year people say this is the January/February where we finally get rid of all those lite 1Ks who can't requalify. It never happens. There are always new elites to take their places.
and there are plenty of lower status flyers who willingly pay to sit up front. I won’t play the status loyalty game because in the end it’s just not worth the return on your loyalty investment. Whichever airline if I want to sit up front I will pay to do so and not leave it to chance. United will take my money first before they place a GS/1K in a free upgrade.
nnn and zombietooth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.