Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Doppy
As a 1K, buying PP, I'm 4/5 this year international and probably >75% last year for Polaris upgrades. Just buy PP and the worst case you're in a decent seat, usually you'll be upgraded is my view.
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
We are 2 for 3 going from PP to Polaris seats (EWR-LHR and SFO-EWR) and even on the exception (EWR-SFO) we were offered 1 upgrade so we really had 5 offered upgrades out of 6 attempts. We turned down the one seat offered because it was a daytime flight and we wanted to explore PP on a 787 10 together.
No luck on EWR-JAX and JAX EWR last week despite throwing Plus Points at it. First is too small on the aircraft used for it to be easy.

Were those using PlusPoints on Premium Plus fares or they just upgraded you from Premium Plus?
8MiHi likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by frappant
Were those using PlusPoints on Premium Plus fares or they just upgraded you from Premium Plus?
Plus Points in all cases
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Saturday flying to Mickey Mouse land (from EWR). Double digits on the upgrade list for CPU. Moved up to high single digits after applying PP.

Tickets purchased two days prior. 1K. I seat left upfront. 0%
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Saturday flying to Mickey Mouse land (from EWR). Double digits on the upgrade list for CPU. Moved up to high single digits after applying PP.

Tickets purchased two days prior. 1K. I seat left upfront. 0%
What was/is the upgrade price?

David

p.s. Who moved my cheese?
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
As a data point, I recently flew EWR-SNA in premium plus. The paid first upgrades were like... $2500/seat. Too much for my 4y/olds. Only a few years away from the boys being able to sit in the back and my wife and I up front...
dutchpacific likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
What was/is the upgrade price?

David

p.s. Who moved my cheese?
$349 IIRC
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
<Vent>
This is just pathetic. 1K on an H fare xxx-FRA-IAD. FRA-IAD #3 of 7 (per 1K line two weeks out). J9P9 and 27 seats open. Now less than 36 hours to the flight and J2C1 with 9 blocked because, yep, that's how much UA decided to oversell PremPlus. I'm #5 of 13 on the list.

So I decide to switch to a flight via MUC which is showing a far easier shot of the upgrade (J7 and only 13 on the list). I change via United.com and bam! I'm #11 of 14 on that list. Huh?! A 1K on an H fare is that far down on MUC-IAD? Guess so.

So I pay the extra taxes to get back to my flights via FRA because United's absurd system doesn't allow you to use FFCs for ticket changes. But wait...the xxx-FRA flight was a UA-coded LH-operated flight. It's now only selling "B" class (didn't even think to check because the LH native flight is 9s across the board). UA wants $400+ to change back to it. So now I'm on an earlier xxx-FRA flight with a 5 hour layover in FRA. And in the meantime, in the 5 minutes it took for me to make these changes, I moved DOWN the FRA-IAD list to #6.

Gonna need a ton of people to miss this flight. The only saving grace is the flight is only open to C class which means buyups will be insanely expensive.

-RM
<Vent over for now>
nnn and uanj like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
<Vent>
This is just pathetic. 1K on an H fare xxx-FRA-IAD. FRA-IAD #3 of 7 (per 1K line two weeks out). J9P9 and 27 seats open. Now less than 36 hours to the flight and J2C1 with 9 blocked because, yep, that's how much UA decided to oversell PremPlus. I'm #5 of 13 on the list.

So I decide to switch to a flight via MUC which is showing a far easier shot of the upgrade (J7 and only 13 on the list). I change via United.com and bam! I'm #11 of 14 on that list. Huh?! A 1K on an H fare is that far down on MUC-IAD? Guess so.

So I pay the extra taxes to get back to my flights via FRA because United's absurd system doesn't allow you to use FFCs for ticket changes. But wait...the xxx-FRA flight was a UA-coded LH-operated flight. It's now only selling "B" class (didn't even think to check because the LH native flight is 9s across the board). UA wants $400+ to change back to it. So now I'm on an earlier xxx-FRA flight with a 5 hour layover in FRA. And in the meantime, in the 5 minutes it took for me to make these changes, I moved DOWN the FRA-IAD list to #6.

Gonna need a ton of people to miss this flight. The only saving grace is the flight is only open to C class which means buyups will be insanely expensive.

-RM
<Vent over for now>

UA has found a new way to generate extra revenue at the cost of 1Ks who bought W+ fares and tried to use PP for upgrade.

1) Oversell Premium Plus. The fare difference between W/V/Q/H/U/E and A could be as low as a few hundreds dollars.
2) Upgrade those in Premium Plus who requested upgrade, thus create more space in Premium Plus to sell
3) Repeat.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<Vent>

-RM
<Vent over for now>
That 5h layover gives you plenty of time to check for one ICTS line or two at FRA.

Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:08 pm

They could go the way of DL and not allow the upgrade certs to go from economy all the way to business and just eliminate this being a problem at all?

So I pay the extra taxes to get back to my flights via FRA because United's absurd system doesn't allow you to use FFCs for ticket changes.
Sure it does, it just has to cover the full difference since tickets can only have two FOPs (one of which is the existing ticket) and you might have to call in to get it processed, but it's absolutely possible.

But wait...the xxx-FRA flight was a UA-coded LH-operated flight. It's now only selling "B" class (didn't even think to check because the LH native flight is 9s across the board). UA wants $400+ to change back to it. So now I'm on an earlier xxx-FRA flight with a 5 hour layover in FRA. And in the meantime, in the 5 minutes it took for me to make these changes, I moved DOWN the FRA-IAD list to #6.
And while you're calling in, why not be put on the LH-coded flight to get the lower booking code/fare then? The published JV fare filings are marketing carrier agnostic.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Mar 17, 2023 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They could go the way of DL and not allow the upgrade certs to go from economy all the way to business and just eliminate this being a problem at all?

Sure it does, it just has to cover the full difference since tickets can only have two FOPs (one of which is the existing ticket) and you might have to call in to get it processed, but it's absolutely possible.

And while you're calling in, why not be put on the LH-coded flight to get the lower booking code/fare then? The published JV fare filings are marketing carrier agnostic.
Be grateful for what little ye have, eh?

Calling in for such a bespoke change request takes minimum 15min, likely 30-60min.

I dont know, but I think it's a fair vent-gripe.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

I have zero expectation that UA will change the upgrade game. There's no reason to. "Give people a shot". Why would they remove the ability to upgrade to business? It's not like many PPs process from Y -> J (based on these boards - reality is way different). This will be my first failed PP request in many years. And clearly the amount of people who are failing upgrades is not driving down revenue or getting rid of elites in droves. It's just like the expiring PPs in July...I fully expect United to extend them again because they have absolutely no reason not to unless you want to piss off customers. It costs them nothing to keep them on the books and offers another good will gesture to travelers.

And, I'll clarify my comment about FFCs. They cannot be used ONLINE to pay taxes (or any charge I think) for a flight change. Sure, maybe calling in does allow it, but the website quite clearly gives you a "helpful hint" that only credit and debit cards can be used during the flight change process. None of your credits (FFCs or TCVs) will appear or can be used.

As for calling in...I am considering doing that. Hopefully a 1K agent can put me on the native LH xxx-FRA flight which has plenty of H class open.

-RM
dutchpacific likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have zero expectation that UA will change the upgrade game. There's no reason to. "Give people a shot". Why would they remove the ability to upgrade to business?
For the same reason that DL did: to drive the incremental sale of PE seats.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kb1992
UA has found a new way to generate extra revenue at the cost of 1Ks who bought W+ fares and tried to use PP for upgrade.

1) Oversell Premium Plus. The fare difference between W/V/Q/H/U/E and A could be as low as a few hundreds dollars.
2) Upgrade those in Premium Plus who requested upgrade, thus create more space in Premium Plus to sell
3) Repeat.
Yes, United has figured out that there are a lot of OPM out there who are not allowed to buy J, but can buy PY and is definitely milking that cow.
SPN Lifer and dutchpacific like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
For the same reason that DL did: to drive the incremental sale of PE seats.
But by giving PremPlus/PE upgrade priority, UA effectively did that.
uanj and dutchpacific like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.