Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Feb 17, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
All PlusPoints successfully spent this year already on family trips. London seems to be fairly easy at the moment, probably excess capacity and a lack of the expected recovery in business travel. I managed Frankfurt too. Europe to US pricing seems low at the moment (PAR-NYC return ~1,800 in August on a P fare) unlike US to Europe so a bit of care with some one ways might help people if you are making a few trips. I'm also trying out AF for the first time - UA pricing was similar but I wanted some novelty. We're told no one chooses J for the food but in a competitive market there is no need to reward UA's behavior.

I try to play the game and I'm sure the house always wins but I'm happy enough this year. My goal is always family trips where I have a bit of flexibility on the day/time to maximise the chances (as an OPM flyer from time to time I know when I would for work and just avoid those like the plague). A couple of reasonable cash upgrades exLondon to premium economy (325) which is more than adequate for the daytime flight and a bargain when you consider the extra tax in the UK. Domestically I've failed CPU on 2 hour flights but the option to sit up front was there for 149 - but I can have a nice meal or something for that and E+ is fine for such a flight.
jsloan, Dublin_rfk and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
1Ks require PN space on a CPU-eligible flight to confirm a YBM up-fare. The benefit does not apply on non-CPU flights.
Thanks Jsolan and Agentar!!!!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
For the first time since COVID I had a EWR-SFO upgrade (R->J) clear in advance and two weeks at that. Of course I'm flying on a Tuesday, whereas normally I fly this on Friday night, so who's to say if anything is different. Still, it was a shock to clear anything domestically prior to T-2.

Other data point: Ms. as219 and I cleared CUN-IAH at the gate into the last 2 F seats using PP. IAH-SAN had PZ space at booking, so I grabbed it. We CPU'd IAH-CUN the way down there but missed SAN-IAH by a mile.
jonisflying and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
All PlusPoints successfully spent this year already on family trips...
Good to see the upgrade winds changing!

As a reminder, our 2022 PP satisfaction poll is closing shortly. Before 2023 starts to pollute 2022 sentiment, please take the 2022 satisfaction poll if you haven't already.

Poll: Satisfied With UA's 2022 (+Jan '23) PlusPoints Upgrade Program?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Good to see the upgrade winds changing!

As a reminder, our 2022 PP satisfaction poll is closing shortly. Before 2023 starts to pollute 2022 sentiment, please take the 2022 satisfaction poll if you haven't already.

Poll: Satisfied With UA's 2022 (+Jan '23) PlusPoints Upgrade Program?
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. Placed my vote
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I don't know what to think anymore.... the upgrade situation doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason besides the fact that they clear waaaaay less often. LAX - SYD. my PP upgrade cleared about 2 weeks out. Nice. My fiance, who is also GS was still waitlisted 4 days out. The kicker is that there were still 14 seats for sale according to a GS agent so, not exactly heavily booked flight.

Also, CPU flights that used to clear for me like clockwork at 5 days out (normal GS window) are clearing closer to 2 days out all the way up to day of departure.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Wow. CPUs are back. This 1K was upgraded 48 hours out. Now admittedly not long flights but surprised with the long lists and the last two years upgrades have been in and out of ORF. Yes CPUs as PlusPoints used for TPAC and TATL flights.

SAN-SFO; LAS-LAX; LAX-SAN (Last one not a surprise as usually upgraded as no one would use PlusPoints on such a short flight).

This 1K is happy. Herd has thinned. Looking forward to the reduction of the PlusPoints July 31 pool.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Wow. CPUs are back. This 1K was upgraded 48 hours out. Now admittedly not long flights but surprised with the long lists and the last two years upgrades have been in and out of ORF. Yes CPUs as PlusPoints used for TPAC and TATL flights.

SAN-SFO; LAS-LAX; LAX-SAN (Last one not a surprise as usually upgraded as no one would use PlusPoints on such a short flight).

This 1K is happy. Herd has thinned. Looking forward to the reduction of the PlusPoints July 31 pool.
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I don't think one thing necessarily implies the other. I had pretty good success in 2022 clearing SAN-LAX/SFO (much more the former than the latter) but virtually none clearing ex-LAX/SFO. Of course YYMV, and it depends on specific days/times. I had my first mid-week EWR-SFO upgrade clear in advance...but it was a Tuesday night. Friday night is a whole other ball of wax...
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver

CPUs are back indeed but I wonder if the herd has thinned or it's just a seasonal thing.

Last month I got two CPUs: YYC-IAH-SFO but it was a slow Saturday, several empty seats on both flights.
The woman next to me on IAH-SFO was Gold and got a CPU.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I don't know what to think anymore.... the upgrade situation doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason besides the fact that they clear waaaaay less often. LAX - SYD. my PP upgrade cleared about 2 weeks out. Nice. My fiance, who is also GS was still waitlisted 4 days out. The kicker is that there were still 14 seats for sale according to a GS agent so, not exactly heavily booked flight.

Also, CPU flights that used to clear for me like clockwork at 5 days out (normal GS window) are clearing closer to 2 days out all the way up to day of departure.

Originally Posted by as219
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I don't think one thing necessarily implies the other. I had pretty good success in 2022 clearing SAN-LAX/SFO (much more the former than the latter) but virtually none clearing ex-LAX/SFO. Of course YYMV, and it depends on specific days/times. I had my first mid-week EWR-SFO upgrade clear in advance...but it was a Tuesday night. Friday night is a whole other ball of wax...
Originally Posted by leoo
CPUs are back indeed but I wonder if the herd has thinned or it's just a seasonal thing.

Last month I got two CPUs: YYC-IAH-SFO but it was a slow Saturday, several empty seats on both flights.
The woman next to me on IAH-SFO was Gold and got a CPU.

Let's see if any 1K clears CPU on IAD-SFO/LAX, BOS-SFO/LAX and ORD-SFO/LAX.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The outlook for upgrades on my flights is absolutely brutal, with F typically full or nearly full with only J, C, D on sale. Even on flights with reasonably open F cabins, I'm often seeing nothing lower than C or D available.

Thus far 2023 is the worst I've ever seen.
SPN Lifer, rch4u and zombietooth like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
So far this year I am 3 for 3 on CPUs. For my flight tomorrow, I cleared at the 96 hour marker. Granted, it is SRQ-IAD, so I have to wonder how 1Ks will be aboard this flight. Just prior to my upgrade, the upsell offer was sitting at $149. (I doubt there will be any GS on my flight.) My two other flights, one I cleared 36 hours prior to departure which enabled me to pre-order. My other flight I cleared 5 minutes prior to boarding, snagging the last upgrade on a sold-out 737-900ER for IAD-TPA. My other two UA flights where I upgraded, I had to use PP to get up front, which I cleared on both but it was just after check-in became available so I was unable to pre-order. So far this year, I have yet to sit in the back.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
on an upcoming SFO-OGG flight
I, a revenue paying 1k was offered to upgrade for $550
my partner, on an award ticket, got an offer to upgrade for $500

E+ isnt all that bad..... and since I can easily UG both of us, the $1050 will buy a lot of booze onboard.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mfirst
on an upcoming SFO-OGG flight
I, a revenue paying 1k was offered to upgrade for $550
my partner, on an award ticket, got an offer to upgrade for $500

E+ isnt all that bad..... and since I can easily UG both of us, the $1050 will buy a lot of booze onboard.
And/or offboard.

David
Old Mar 9, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EP, B6 M4
I had a weird CPU experience happen yesterday that I wanted to see if anyone on FT could answer...

Me (1K) was 3/7 on the upgrade list, and my partner (Silver, on separate PNR) was 6/7. At T-60 or T-30 (can't remember; whatever the automated upgrade clear time is for YYZ-EWR), everyone on the upgrade list cleared except for me and my partner. There were still 3 seats left in J, so I held out hope.

Unfortunately, the plane departed and we were not upgraded. The 3 seats in J were left empty.

I was refreshing the upgrade list pretty frequently on the day of the flight, and I'm pretty sure the ordering list never changed. Does anyone know why this might've happened, and why we were the only ones left in Y? Obviously not a big deal at all on such a short flight, but mostly for my own curiosity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.