Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can get them gifted tho.
Express your gratitude in non-monetary ways.
I'd be happy to express my gratitude if someone wanted to be that nice But I didn't want to come across as begging in the forum, especially since I'm new and haven't contributed.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by nsacmercury
I'd be happy to express my gratitude if someone wanted to be that nice But I didn't want to come across as begging in the forum, especially since I'm new and haven't contributed.
So I'm trying to apply PlusPoints to this, and this is popping up:

Money tab shows upgrade. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Basic Economy?

Mileage tickets?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Basic Economy?

Mileage tickets?
Yes, just figured out that it is a mileage ticket.

Last edited by angetenar; Feb 16, 2023 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seanp7
Very well said. I agree that many people are complaining about PlusPoints because they view them more like SkipTheWaitlist or some form of BA GGL Joker.
I've mostly stopped complaining, but I still sympathize with those who do. Longhaul upgrades are considerably harder to confirm in advance than they were five years ago, and the tightening of advance PZ seems to get worse by the month. UA has similarly cut down on CPU sweeps at the windows, and increasingly holds off until T-24 - or later - to upgrade anyone. It's at the point where I would hesitate to list "upgrades" as a primary 1K benefit.
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's clear that there has been a material reduction in the amount of PZ space available in advance. It was already true prior to COVID and it's accelerated within the last year. That's not to say that none exists, or that it consists solely of upgrades to Zurich in February
I would love to find advance PZ SFO-ZRH for February!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
Yeah it was so nice of you to offer to help! I'm sorry again you had to go through the hassle.

Thanks also letting me know the only people who can upgrade my ticket with PP are GS. You were very helpful even if it didn't work out with the upgrade because of my ticket type.
​​​​​​
So
​​​
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've mostly stopped complaining, but I still sympathize with those who do. Longhaul upgrades are considerably harder to confirm in advance than they were five years ago, and the tightening of advance PZ seems to get worse by the month. UA has similarly cut down on CPU sweeps at the windows, and increasingly holds off until T-24 - or later - to upgrade anyone. It's at the point where I would hesitate to list "upgrades" as a primary 1K benefit.
I would love to find advance PZ SFO-ZRH for February!
I guess you're joking, but there's no SFO - ZRH direct flights in Feb on UA metal.

But, the following are available:

2/19
UA 3 ORD - ZRH PZ1
UA134 EWR - ZRH PZ3

2/20
UA 52 IAD - ZRH PZ9
UA 3 ORD - ZRH PZ9
UA134 EWR - ZRH PZ6

2/21
UA 52 IAD - ZRH PZ9
UA134 EWR - ZRH PZ9

2/22
UA134 EWR - ZRH PZ4

2/23
UA 3 ORD - ZRH PZ1

2/27
UA 52 IAD - ZRH PZ6
UA 3 ORD - ZRH PZ9

2/28
UA 52 IAD - ZRH PZ7
UA 134 EWR - ZRH PZ6.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, seanp7 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Clemson
I guess you're joking, but there's no SFO - ZRH direct flights in Feb on UA metal.
No, not joking, I don't really follow UA's seasonal long-haul schedule these days, as I pretty much stopped flying UA for international long-haul several years ago. I think the last time was late 2019. (Though I do have a Polaris flight scheduled for March - return portion of a $1400 TATL P fare where there were no other reasonable *A options.)

I do know that it's still pretty hard to find any long-haul advance PZ (or RN) from SFO, as I do still on occasion check, mostly to see if I can upgrade friends/family who don't know better than to book UA international.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Instead of going out of way to fly UA, instead of paying higher fares just to have chance, instead of paid upgrades to get closer to status, use those additional costs for more convenient flights, premium fares outright, and the removal of stressing over PlusPoints.

Being a free agent has saved me thousands of dollars every year.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:07 pm

Hey all- Not to hijack but have a question along these lines- I (like a million others) make 1k this year with some pretty pitiful dollars spent (Sorry everyone)

I thought that even without PX inventory Y and B and sometimes M fare are automatic upgrades for 1k's. Has that stopped? Had to book a B class flight and didnt get upgraded. Is that only when PZ fares are open? How do I look to confirm a YBM fare will clear in expert mode?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by torn66
Hey all- Not to hijack but have a question along these lines- I (like a million others) make 1k this year with some pretty pitiful dollars spent (Sorry everyone)

I thought that even without PX inventory Y and B and sometimes M fare are automatic upgrades for 1k's. Has that stopped? Had to book a B class flight and didnt get upgraded. Is that only when PZ fares are open? How do I look to confirm a YBM fare will clear in expert mode?
1Ks require PN space on a CPU-eligible flight to confirm a YBM up-fare. The benefit does not apply on non-CPU flights.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by torn66

YBM instant upgrade requires PN space, and are only available on CPU eligible flights. Requiring PZ space is for silver/gold/plat.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Instead of going out of way to fly UA, instead of paying higher fares just to have chance, instead of paid upgrades to get closer to status, use those additional costs for more convenient flights, premium fares outright, and the removal of stressing over PlusPoints.

Being a free agent has saved me thousands of dollars every year.
Being (mostly) loyal to UA has saved me hundreds of dollars each year since I got status, and thousands of dollars each year that I've earned PlusPoints.

I'm connecting nearly everywhere I go, unless I'm flying WN (no thanks). And as Gold+ I get free E+, which I would pay for (and have paid for) on competing carriers. UA comes out way, way ahead. And I've been able to use all of my PlusPoints so far -- 2023 looks a little iffy, but it's just February -- and the only long-haul I waitlisted was LH P->F, which cleared. (Upgrades from P on PlusPoints are no longer available -- sorry .

Which is my way of saying: everyone needs to do this calculation for themselves. For some people, free agency is doubtlessly the best call. For others, it makes more sense to stick to one carrier / alliance unless the fares are dramatically out of balance.
SPN Lifer, United747 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Being (mostly) loyal to UA has saved me hundreds of dollars each year since I got status, and thousands of dollars each year that I've earned PlusPoints.

I'm connecting nearly everywhere I go, unless I'm flying WN (no thanks). And as Gold+ I get free E+, which I would pay for (and have paid for) on competing carriers. UA comes out way, way ahead. And I've been able to use all of my PlusPoints so far -- 2023 looks a little iffy, but it's just February -- and the only long-haul I waitlisted was LH P->F, which cleared. (Upgrades from P on PlusPoints are no longer available -- sorry .

Which is my way of saying: everyone needs to do this calculation for themselves. For some people, free agency is doubtlessly the best call. For others, it makes more sense to stick to one carrier / alliance unless the fares are dramatically out of balance.
Fair. I am ex-NYC, where competition is fierce in general. Yeah, I am not going of my way to be "loyal" or make status.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by angetenar
No can PP mileage tix.

David
denver19 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.