Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Mar 14, 2023, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
No luck on EWR-JAX and JAX EWR last week despite throwing Plus Points at it. First is too small on the aircraft used for it to be easy.
And no PP seats on those flights either.

David
8MiHi likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DELee
That being said, if I had to spend $24K* of my own for TPAC or any international travel, I'd probably pick something else right now. And I'm sure as heck not spending my money toward the obnoxious 24K PQP figure.

*: which, after fees and taxes is somewhere close to $30K
Agreed.

$24K for 1K is insane for most people, considering the benefits of 1K, unless it's OPM.

My cousin now must think twice about trying to make 1K again. He has learned a hard lesson on SFO-TPE PP upgrade failure.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Keep in mind, the list is ranked by the highest status person on the PNR. So, a 1K taking a family of four along on vacation will all count as a 1K for this purpose.

Status isn't something that one should chase; it's best if it's something that happens organically from your existing travel -- or at least semi-organically. Last year, I probably paid about $500 in fares that I wouldn't have paid otherwise in order to reach 1K. However, this has been the worst year of PZ space I can remember. I'm getting a little tired of searching UA's entire TPAC network across multiple weeks and finding no confirmable upgrade space (and precious little for GS members either, unless you'd like to go to Auckland in the dead of Southern Hemisphere winter).
What? I thought for upgrade priority you can only have one companion traveling with you. If 4 people are booked in one PNR then upgrade will be based on lowest status, no?

You are right that even for GS, it's challenging to find confirmable upgrade space. Everywhere I searched, PN is zero this summer. So my flights to Japan, China, TPE, are all waitlisted.

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're forgetting about the listed PE pax, all of whom will be ahead of a 1K, regardless of status. The addition of PE made it much more challenging for 1Ks to upgrade to Polaris from Y.

Well yes. That's what I've been saying since UA introduced the new thresholds right before the pandemic. It's not worth chasing 1K.
Agreed.

It looks really tough for 1K now. Time for unsuspected 1Ks to adjust their expectations to redeem their hard earned PP.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
When they started the marketing of PE, I think I remember someone from UA saying that PE wouldn't adversely impact 1K UG chances for Polaris. At the time, people were pretty positive on it. Now it's obvious that it was just another devaluation in disguise. 1Ks are at the bottom of the UG list unless they buy PE. So, increased revenue combined with decreased UG chances = greater profit for UA (i.e. more breakage of PPs + increased revenue).
Looks like UA wants us to buy PE for a reasonable chance of clearing upgrades!

Originally Posted by uanj
One other factor is the demand to Taiwan is the highest I have ever seen for UA. Have flown SFO-TPE several times this year and was amazed how full the flights are. Two weeks out and all window business seats are gone. I have seen 35 people on the WL for Polaris upgrades.

I heard BR is going to flying 4X daily to LAX and 3X daily to SFO. Selfishly I would like to see LAX-TPE added by UA.
This gets me a little nervous. I am flying BOS-SFO-TPE on March 24, Friday for the spring break on a cheap W fare. BOS-SFO is already cleared to PN but SFO-TPE is waitlisted. It shows J3 for UA 871 and I am in a real danger of not clearing to Polaris. PE has 6 seats but I am not interested. I might have to move the date to mid-week like Wednesday.

The return April 4 TPE-SFO has PN space now (very rare 3 weeks in advance).

Originally Posted by Doppy
As a 1K, buying PP, I'm 4/5 this year international and probably >75% last year for Polaris upgrades. Just buy PP and the worst case you're in a decent seat, usually you'll be upgraded is my view.
It looks like where we are headed to. Those 1Ks who buy W fare and think they will clear to Polaris will soon learn the reality.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
What? I thought for upgrade priority you can only have one companion traveling with you....
Just for CPU
...If 4 people are booked in one PNR then upgrade will be based on lowest status, no?....
No, not for supported upgrades, all are listed at the highest status.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Was snooping around to see if I could change a VIE-IAH routing on 4 April that had been booked in C on UA to a Y routing with PN availability, and sure enough there was/is good PZ availability (in addition to PN) on both MUC-IAH and LHR-IAH (1030 am flight). By contrast, FRA-IAH, AMS-IAH and LHR-IAH (135 pm flight) were all PN0/PZ0.

As an aside, I am a bit perplexed at the continued lagging performance of IAH-MUC-IAH (good for PZ though!) as compared to IAH-FRA-IAH. For most routings in either direction where IAH-MUC/FRA is a connecting point, the routings (at least for me) would seem to be a wash, yet FRA is always much more heavily booked most every time I look. I'm sure I'm missing something. I doubt there would be a huge O/D difference but maybe that's part of it.

Last edited by st530; Mar 16, 2023 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just for CPU
No, not for supported upgrades, all are listed at the highest status.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just wanted to post how ironic it is that having been a 1k for a few years, I just dropped to silver as work still has travel ban. However, I am finding WAY more open PZ seats than I ever did before. I still had 380 PP to use before end of July. So a couple of weeks ago, I booked for me and my daughter to go PBI-ORD-LHR LHR-EWR-PBI 18th March to 27th. The LHR return leg has SO many options. Never seen this before as a 1k. Funny.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update:

3/24 SFO-TPE is J2. I am waitlisted for PN as No. 4. Can't do T-72 push anyway.

I never imagined that this would not clear PP upgrade as GS.

Are lot of people going to Taiwan??? It used to be an easy upgrade!

Time to change plans.....
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update:

Any chance it's O oversale reducing J inventory?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Just wanted to post how ironic it is that having been a 1k for a few years, I just dropped to silver as work still has travel ban. However, I am finding WAY more open PZ seats than I ever did before. I still had 380 PP to use before end of July. So a couple of weeks ago, I booked for me and my daughter to go PBI-ORD-LHR LHR-EWR-PBI 18th March to 27th. The LHR return leg has SO many options. Never seen this before as a 1k. Funny.
EWR-LHR and IAD-LHR have plenty of PZ spaces. I cleared both ways (for two) for the Memorial Day weekend.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: UA
Update:

uanj mentions upthread that the TPE flight has been very full lately.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Any chance it's O oversale reducing J inventory?
Maybe.

Premium Plus is booked full.

Also, there are only a handful J seats open on the seat map, which is consistent with J2.

Originally Posted by angetenar
uanj mentions upthread that the TPE flight has been very full lately.
Yep. My 1K cousin was No. 20 on the upgrade list with 9 J seats open for SFO-TPE on March 21.

This is a Tuesday. When I was 1K, I never failed GPU/SWU upgrade on Tuesday!

Premium Plus is doing the job (impact on 1K upgrades to Polaris) ........
wxguy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium Plus is doing the job (impact on 1K upgrades to Polaris) ........
UA's doing its job to 1Ks in Y even trying to use PPs.

David
zombietooth and Kmxu like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DELee
UA's doing its job to 1Ks in Y even trying to use PPs.

David
There is nothing more frustrating than to be unable to have certainty in my business travel because of the huge cutback in PZ availability. I've never had to make back-up reservations on other carriers in J, just in case my PPs don't clear, until these last couple years. I'll only pay cash for J on UA if there is no other option. I don't need any more miles or PPs, so UA only gets my business if they are the last resort. Certainty is far more important than anything else in air travel, and that is no longer available for 1Ks.
nnn, Artpen100 and nomad420 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 16, 2023 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
I was surprised to see PP waitlist upgrade clear 1 month out EWR-BNA for outbound leg only. I paid to upgrade myself and MrsGS since it was a favorable $$.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1200GS
I was surprised to see PP waitlist upgrade clear 1 month out EWR-BNA for outbound leg only. I paid to upgrade myself and MrsGS since it was a favorable $$.
You will be suitably rewarded with many PQPs and eventually PPs. Whether the PPs are useful going forward will depend on situations like what you described.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.