Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Small data point for the cheap-buy-up-to-F-instead-of-play-the-UG lottery theory. I'm on UA 1794 tomorrow (MIA-IAH at 6:30 am). Booked a one-way last week for $100. Applied PP. On Tuesday, at T-72, it was J7 so I forced through an upgrade, but noticed on the app that I could upgrade for $180. The next morning, at T-48, F showed as booked full with no UGs. Presumably either lots of buy-ups, or other GS forcing through PPs? (F later dropped to 14/16; just checked now and it's 15/16 with one UG shown.)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Bought up to P fare tonight instead of hoping PP would clear.

UA is winning.
The house always wins!

I applied PP for 1 hour IAH-MSY flight last December. Without PP, I would sit in the back. Wife was upgraded earlier with PP for ORF-IAH-MSY. I used miles for her ticket initially, but switched to cash due to its last-minute cheap fare.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I think another aspect of this is that there are more opportunities to get up front for a flight - PP, CPU, purchasing, miles, variable pricing (and tools to help track the prices with easier ability to change) - and especially since tons of miles/points have flooded the market recently (with CC offers, for example), people like me are more likely to burn >100k miles for a ticket up front
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by st530
Small data point for the cheap-buy-up-to-F-instead-of-play-the-UG lottery theory. I'm on UA 1794 tomorrow (MIA-IAH at 6:30 am). Booked a one-way last week for $100. Applied PP. On Tuesday, at T-72, it was J7 so I forced through an upgrade, but noticed on the app that I could upgrade for $180. The next morning, at T-48, F showed as booked full with no UGs. Presumably either lots of buy-ups, or other GS forcing through PPs? (F later dropped to 14/16; just checked now and it's 15/16 with one UG shown.)
This happens so often these days - the sweep to capacity minus two seats at T-24 does not routinely occur like it used to.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“No UGs” is meaningless. UA has stopped showing the checkmark in many cases; instead, when people are upgraded, their names drop off of the list. It’s entirely possible that there were PlusPoints upgrades or even CPUs that occurred during that time period.

Whether it’s general UA IT incompetence, or a designed campaign to make upgrades look less common than they are in order to spur buy-ups, I have no idea.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Getting the ragu polenta would make it a clean sweep victory
I pre-ordered the burger. 😉
uastarflyer and Air Houston like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I wonder since there is a huge group of people who have PP expiration date of 7/31/22, that maybe upgrades will loosen up in 2nd half of the year? Maybe all those people are burning them now before they expire causing a surge in PP usage? I guess it depends on how many of those same people gain status again this year and have their points replenished in Fall. But I agree on the FC monetization. When I look at my flight in 3 weeks from ORD-CHS, over half of FC has already been bought...and I presume mostly leisure
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
Dunno, I applied PPs on SFO-PHX last week and it moved me up . . . . one place on the upgrade list. Did turn out to be significant though, since it moved me into the top two, which meant I cleared during the T-24 sweep rather than having to sweat to the gate (which is usually a fail IME).
Sometimes after applying PP, it moved me DOWN.

Go figure.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Bought up to P fare tonight instead of hoping PP would clear.

UA is winning.
Clearly we should not chase status. With P fares being so affordable, just buy P fare as you did.

Originally Posted by Air Houston
CPUs don’t clear often for GS’s either. I think I am 1/20 over the past two years on CPU opportunities. In 2013/2014 I was 98/100 on CPU opportunities as a GS, for comparison. PP upgrades almost never clear when waitlisted either. Fortunately I often have enough flexibility to book flights where they can be cleared at booking, but when I can’t do that I don’t expect to be sitting in F unless I pay for it. Whether I pay depends on the cost. I will pay $200 extra for a four hour flight, but I won’t pay $400 for a two hour flight. I will fly coach or take Southwest for those.
I have had better luck, but still it takes a lot of due diligence.

I am flying EWR-SFO this Saturday. As usual I can't see any PN for next few days or next week.

My 5:30 pm flight is full in J. I will need to do SDC to move to a different flight, and hope more than 2 J seats are open. This way I'll try to call GS to force the upgrade.

Life would be really hard for 1Ks or below.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
Sometimes after applying PP, it moved me DOWN.

Go figure....
Will do this on Instant Upgrade fares for some.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Also, not enough 753 and wide bodies on domestic routes.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Life Time customer value should be a major part of upgrade priority.

This can easily be done by using:

Current Premier Status Level + Million Miler Achievement Level + Fare Class to determine upgrade priority.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I wonder since there is a huge group of people who have PP expiration date of 7/31/22, that maybe upgrades will loosen up in 2nd half of the year? Maybe all those people are burning them now before they expire causing a surge in PP usage? I guess it depends on how many of those same people gain status again this year and have their points replenished in Fall. But I agree on the FC monetization. When I look at my flight in 3 weeks from ORD-CHS, over half of FC has already been bought...and I presume mostly leisure
I just booked a ticket to LHR in early September. Only one seat is taken on the High J 767-300 in Polaris - yet my GS PP is yup... waitlisted. One hour flight CMH-ORD on Monday - 8 open F seats yet my GS PP is... yup... waitlisted.

I started booking other airlines when it made financial, or schedule sense for me last fall, and I've not once sat on a competitor's plane thinking 'I wish I was on United'. Once you stop being a slave to the individual programs flying becomes a better experience. For example, never again will I choose a 2 stop trip to Taipei in business class on United for work when I can fly direct on EVA.

I've spent $30K on other airlines to date this year... will probably end up around $50K on United for the year with approx another $30K on other airlines. I'm guessing that I'll still get GS, but losing it doesn't concern me at all. 90+% of my travel is international business anyhow, and I'm willing to pay for F for the 10% of my travel that's personal. There's simply nothing persuasive to fly United at the moment.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce
I just booked a ticket to LHR in early September. Only one seat is taken on the High J 767-300 in Polaris - yet my GS PP is yup... waitlisted. One hour flight CMH-ORD on Monday - 8 open F seats yet my GS PP is... yup... waitlisted.

I started booking other airlines when it made financial, or schedule sense for me last fall, and I've not once sat on a competitor's plane thinking 'I wish I was on United'. Once you stop being a slave to the individual programs flying becomes a better experience. For example, never again will I choose a 2 stop trip to Taipei in business class on United for work when I can fly direct on EVA.

I've spent $30K on other airlines to date this year... will probably end up around $50K on United for the year with approx another $30K on other airlines. I'm guessing that I'll still get GS, but losing it doesn't concern me at all. 90+% of my travel is international business anyhow, and I'm willing to pay for F for the 10% of my travel that's personal. There's simply nothing persuasive to fly United at the moment.
For me, the incentive was/is to get to 3 MM lifetime, but that was mainly for the lifetime annual PPs which, as this thread demonstrates, may be rapidly becoming useless (especially for a 1K as compared to a GS).
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
For me, the incentive was/is to get to 3 MM lifetime, but that was mainly for the lifetime annual PPs which, as this thread demonstrates, may be rapidly becoming useless (especially for a 1K as compared to a GS).
Do you get the annual PPs through the lifetime MM program? I thought you only got them if you actually qualified for status levels that specific year? I know my MM companion doesn't get any...
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Yea it is crazy out there. I just checked the status of the PHL-ORD flight departing at today at 5:07PM and first class is booked full and there are 63 people on the upgrade list! Back at the beginning of the year during the surge of Omicron, these flights were going out mostly empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.