Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Babymule
I have 470 Plus Points and can't use them. I have never used this forum to "vent" but clearly I'm doing that now.
EWR-LHR available next week. PZ3 on a couple of flights.

1K, cleared both ways EWR-LHR and CDG-EWR in July 2022. PZ is rare, but it's there.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
EWR-LHR available next week. PZ3 on a couple of flights.

1K, cleared both ways EWR-LHR and CDG-EWR in July 2022. PZ is rare, but it's there.
agreed. There are plenty of ways to use them if you are flexible and creative.
seanp7, Flying Machine and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From the east coast maybe. Try TATL from SFO. Of course this is nothing new, it's been almost impossible to clear advance R/PZ TATL from SFO for many years.

I used to be able to burn my GPU flying to Asia, but with Japan and Hong Kong closed, all my PlusPoints are now going toward domestic short-haul. And I'm trying to give UA as few opportunities as possible, because their product is deliberately subpar.
lsquare and jasonp622 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
From the east coast maybe. Try TATL from SFO. Of course this is nothing new, it's been almost impossible to clear advance R/PZ TATL from SFO for many years.
Correct; wasn't suggesting otherwise. The 'venter' is IAH-based so he/she could go south to Brazil with PZ, or with a domestic connection to IAD/EWR onwards to the EU. Of course, if neither of those are desirable then yes, PP are useless.
lsquare and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I had a mixed bag on recent flights. I've been booking domestic F for everything and not traveling internationally, so had a ton of PP on hand. My wife booked us on flights IAD-MCO to visit her family; I applied PP to my outbound and her return, and we decided to chance her outbound as a CPU (as a Tuesday morning flight to MCO, seemed a safe bet). I ended up buying up for the return at $149 or so, but my wife said she was OK in an aisle Y seat if it came to that.

My PP cleared at 48 hours on the outbound; my wife's CPU cleared right at 24 hours, and we even managed to sit together. For the return, we watched as a paid u/g went from $149 to $299 to $1149 (costs IIRC), and assumed that meant no way in heck would her PP upgrade clear. She ended up 4th on the list; they didn't clear any CPUs or day-of upgrades that I could tell, and if any PP upgrades cleared, they were minimal as the cabin showed sold out at 48 hours.

Of course, the return was Friday morning of a holiday weekend, so I totally get why it was a tough upgrade to clear even on a leisure route.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Upgrade cleared 7/4 EWR-LAS

As a 1K I was upgraded at the 24 hour mark for tomorrow's 1PM EWR-LAS flight. I think the loads to leisure destinations on the Fourth are light; people are either returning or already at their destination.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
As a 1K I was upgraded at the 24 hour mark for tomorrow's 1PM EWR-LAS flight. I think the loads to leisure destinations on the Fourth are light; people are either returning or already at their destination.
Or fewer people are flying given the ridiculous fares UA and other airlines tried to stuff down people throats this summer and the impact of inflation on the leisure travelers budget.

David
seanp7 and United747 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Or fewer people are flying given the ridiculous fares UA and other airlines tried to stuff down people throats this summer and the impact of inflation on the leisure travelers budget.

David
"The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reported it screened 2,196,411 people nationwide Friday, for the highest throughput since the start of the pandemic. That was also higher than the checkpoint volume for the same day in 2019."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/air-travel...ry?id=78650656

No, I don't think fewer people are flying.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Clemson
"The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reported it screened 2,196,411 people nationwide Friday, for the highest throughput since the start of the pandemic. That was also higher than the checkpoint volume for the same day in 2019."

More are flying overall - at least on one day. Is UA getting less of it? That's what the focus is here in this forum.

David
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:33 pm

Definitely high, but it did drop Sat & Sun (understandably).

I think the flyer in question got lucky going TO Vegas on the 4th. Most people would be returning.
SPN Lifer, rittenhousesq and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
Definitely high, but it did drop Sat & Sun (understandably).

I think the flyer in question got lucky going TO Vegas on the 4th. Most people would be returning.
Agreed. Flying today, and actually seeing Polaris cabin (domestic flight) went out with a number of empty seats.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I guess it depends on the route and time of day. I flew EWR-MCO today on a 738, CPU cleared 96h out. From what I could tell, the flight only had 1 GS and 2 1K.
Originally Posted by kb1992
IME, Flights to Florida, Mexico etc. are easier to get CPU since most F pax are not business people.

Try SFO/LAX-ORD/BOS/IAD...... Often GS won't clear upgrades!
This. I can’t speak to EWR but typically for every SFO flight I see a dozen GS and 24 1Ks preboarding plus Group 1 line with 3 dozen. Half the plane is elite.

Surprisingly LAX was a major contrast - almost no GS or 1K and ditto for OGG-LAX.

So if you want to clear from SFO may want to consider a connection. IMO not worth it as every flight is a roll of the dice for delays, but YMMV
SPN Lifer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This. I can’t speak to EWR but typically for every SFO flight I see a dozen GS and 24 1Ks preboarding plus Group 1 line with 3 dozen. Half the plane is elite.

Surprisingly LAX was a major contrast - almost no GS or 1K and ditto for OGG-LAX.

So if you want to clear from SFO may want to consider a connection. IMO not worth it as every flight is a roll of the dice for delays, but YMMV
As a convert to the WFBF sect, I routinely count how many GS/1Ks walk back to Y on any given flight, and it's never less than 75%. There are usually 4-5 GS/1Ks in the F cabin on an average flight (transcons, not outstation puddle-jumps). I surmise that everyone else up there paid cash, and that would mean that non-elites are buying F at a very high rate these days. COVID or no COVID, I don't think this is ever going to change unless UA raises prices a bunch, which means that domestic UGs for GS/1Ks are going to be rare for the foreseeable future.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum

True of course but that is based on bookings made months ago and probably based on cash spent years ago. The airlines and other discretionary leisure travel services are assisting in demand destruction right now and hoping for the best. The big ones might be ok but there are a lot of firms that even need working capital financed. Go ask Uncle Sam what he will give you for some long-term inflation adjusted paper and then figure out what you would need from high yield to make it worth your while. In even more basic terms, having got the COVID itch scratched I doubt many people are driving away from the gas station thinking they want to go nuts next year.

My guess is that corporate travel does rebound and take over again as a profit and revenue driver. Just a guess of course.
lhrsfo and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Along the lines of this topic are gone are the "good seats" - regardless of class.
I am often traveling for work with tickets purchased on the week of departure (like on a Mon for a Thur trip) - by the time the reservations work their way thru the system, the options for decent E+ seats become fewer and fewer - and the options for upgrading with my own money to F are a little silly.....

yes, sometimes stuff opens up at the time of check-in, but not always

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.