Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I wouldn't say domestic F is that much more comfortable than economy. It's definitely better, but imo, not night and day better. I've flown domestic first on all the major airlines and I'm not that impressed, to be honest with you.
It's not about being "impressed" - it's simply about passenger density and reducing the misery index as a very frequent traveler. Four across on a narrowbody vs. six across in Y. And 36-41 inches of pitch vs 29-34 inches in Y. It makes a huge difference.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I think it is also about being able to board early (earlier), store your stuff, get comfortable (maybe even a PFB these days) and tune out the world until you land - and then be able to get off the plane asap and move along......
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not about being "impressed" - it's simply about passenger density and reducing the misery index as a very frequent traveler. Four across on a narrowbody vs. six across in Y. And 36-41 inches of pitch vs 29-34 inches in Y. It makes a huge difference.
The pitch at 36+ inches is the most important thing if you're tall. I've got 4 PG flights coming up on the 319s. F was sold-out months ago (I've been watching), and the exit rows have been blocked on my flights, so I'll have to deal with 31" pitch, which is a real killer. My knees are literally jammed into the seatback in front of me at 31" (I've flown PG many times before where I couldn't buy into F). For me, it is torture.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mfirst
Short of reading the hundreds of replies on this topic - especially since I wonder if the rules are constantly changing to reflect UA attempts to fill F seats more and more... I wonder if even "trying" for upgrades is even worth the effort.... for example:

next week, I have a morning CLE-DEN flight (booked in H) - currently there are 4 open F seats.
UA wants 371$ to upgrade - which means they expect those seats to sell (otherwise, I would assume they would be selling at around $99)

as a 1K - do I apply PP or just take my chances and see what happens - it has been my experience that when I apply PP there are typically enough seats that I probably would have gotten a CPU regardless and that rarely does PP help move me up enough to help when I am left hanging at #1 on the list when everything sells out

so, while an UG for this leg would be nice - does requesting it with PP at this point help at all since I sense these seats will probably sell out by next week regardless given the way that this summer has been going?

... at least I have an E+ seat that I like (and no one next to me - a Euro business seat - for now)

-m
You can request Plus Points a few days in advance and see if it improves things. At t-24 United usually clears all but 2 seats. The 2 remaining seats are usually purchased (in my experience). So if you are 4 on the list and their are 4 seats left, apply plus points and see what you get. If it moves you up to 1 or 2 that is huge. If it only moves you up to 3 from 4 probably not worth it. You can then remove the plus points on line and go back to where you started.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
The pitch at 36+ inches is the most important thing if you're tall. I've got 4 PG flights coming up on the 319s. F was sold-out months ago (I've been watching), and the exit rows have been blocked on my flights, so I'll have to deal with 31" pitch, which is a real killer. My knees are literally jammed into the seatback in front of me at 31" (I've flown PG many times before where I couldn't buy into F). For me, it is torture.
Ouch. I know SeatGuru says 31 inches, but I think PG is more like 29" in Y.

Honestly for me the width is equally important. I've done that battle for the armrest way too many times on WN.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Ouch. I know SeatGuru says 31 inches, but I think PG is more like 29" in Y.

Honestly for me the width is equally important. I've done that battle for the armrest way too many times on WN.
You are probably right because I don't remember any other 31" pitch seat being that bad in the past and, of course, I've never actually measured it. I was just going by SeatGuru.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I think that's a hyperbole...

A huge difference for me is between Y and lie-flat.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I think that's a hyperbole...
I can only conclude that you're not flying domestic Y in booked-full cabins very often if at all.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I can only conclude that you're not flying domestic Y in booked-full cabins very often if at all.
Most likely not as much as you, but when I flew DEN-SFO, it was a full flight. A UA pilot even sat in a middle seat in Y. I'm not 6'3" so my experience sitting in Y will be different from you if you're tall. It's ridiculous to assume everyone will have the same experience as you when we all have different bodies.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I am sadly still working on a way to arbitrage against the people who think that E+ is better than F and upgrades are worthless... but still haven't come up with much. I'll sure pay you $20 to swap though
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:58 am

findark,
that is an interesting question - obviously there is a balance of priorities. I have turned down upgrades when I was able to get an entire row of seats to my self - poor-mans lay flat (we wont mention giving up seats for people like military - who I dont think are allowed to accept the swaps as 'gifts' or other social exchanges)

It would be interesting to discuss the thoughts of why people would opt for giving up F or not even giving PP (when some already have zillions)

-m
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
findark,
obviously there is a balance of priorities. I have turned down upgrades when I was able to get an entire row of seats to my self - poor-mans lay flat
I'd take that over UA's new domestic F seat. It's when you fill the row full that I become willing to overpay for the upgrade. Particularly if one of my very close neighbors is overscented, underbathed, or doesn't really fit between the armrests.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:30 pm

I'd take that over UA's new domestic F seat. It's when you fill the row full that I become willing to overpay for the upgrade. Particularly if one of my very close neighbors is overscented, underbathed, or doesn't really fit between the armrests.
Yes, the slimline F seats are truly an abomination, exceeded only by the horror of the slimline coach seats. The downward slant towards the front of the seat pan in the full upright position is the most uncomfortable thing about the seat. The insufficient cushioning is not as big a problem for me.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:33 am

Dying at #1 on the UG list....

Since we have a thread about upgrades - and how they are as rare as the Dodo these days, I thought I would take an alternative approach. I seem to feel that I occupy this honored spot - #1 on the UG list with F full more often than not these days almost to the point in which (as I posted on the Dodo posting) that why even bother to try using PP to upgrade as I am not even sure they make a difference and we have even learned that sometimes they appear to hurt our chances...... since a lot of my bookings are typically made about a week prior to travel for work, I dont even recall seeing reasonable buy-up options....

I have an upcoming late morning CLE-DEN flight later this week, pre-COVID I recall reasonable chances for UG and I think more frequent daily connections, but now - several days ago, there were 4 F seats (PZ=0, of course) so I thought I would try a PP but now only 1 and I am sure that will be sold (of note: econ: $297 v F: $2,100....)

so, to all of us who are #1 - a toast with our free 1k drink
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I flew from SFO to LAX during the recent July 4th holiday weekend, and was #1 on the UG list via CPU after door closure - the short flight was operated with a lie-flat 752.

No service for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.