Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:48 am
  #976  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22,055
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I need tax-deductible expenses and mileage awards cannot be deducted. I don't want more miles, I want less miles and more tangible rebates.
I mean, I don’t think UA is likely to give out coupons for a percentage off of arbitrary fares. But you can use miles for a 10% refund on previous spending, on UA-operated itineraries. Your $6K P fare turns into 66,000 MileagePlus miles, which can get you a $660 discount off of any UA-operated itinerary.

What you can’t do, in either case, is deduct the full price while paying a discounted price. The IRS may look the other way for credit card rebates, especially non-cash rebates, but if people were regularly getting thousand-dollar discounts on their plane tickets but then expensing the full amount, that’ll get hackles raised.
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:11 am
  #977  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by jsloan
For itineraries that are wholly UA-operated, you can use Money + Miles for a discount in exactly this fashion, at one cent per mile. No roulette involved.
and if you wait 24 hours and then cancel it converts into a FFC type credit.

$500 ticket you paid $400 cash and 10k miles? 24 hours later its a $500 FFC you paid $400 for. Since you earned those miles as 11-15 miles per $ spent thats your rebate right there as a tangible amount.

Which makes me wonder….by turning it into to a FFC it should lose track of the fact that part of the value came from miles as opposed to any other credit….so it could earn miles on the mileage portion too? Something to check out…
SPN Lifer likes this.
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:27 am
  #978  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 5,109
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
and if you wait 24 hours and then cancel it converts into a FFC type credit.

$500 ticket you paid $400 cash and 10k miles? 24 hours later its a $500 FFC you paid $400 for. Since you earned those miles as 11-15 miles per $ spent thats your rebate right there as a tangible amount.

Which makes me wonder….by turning it into to a FFC it should lose track of the fact that part of the value came from miles as opposed to any other credit….so it could earn miles on the mileage portion too? Something to check out…
I just tried to book a J-ticket using this advice and I guess you can't use FFCs with money + miles? I am sitting on around $5K in FFCs due to canceled flights where my PPs didn't clear, and I need to use those up before I spend new money.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:31 am
  #979  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,813
Is there some kind of hard block on clearing CPU for redeye flights?

It's hard to tell when the flight is over 75% full in F, but I've had a few experiences now with some less-full flights that give me the impression they simply don't run advance upgrades at all. As in, they might wait until boarding and then clear eight upgrades.

Wondering if anyone else noticed or perceived this as a trend.
fumje is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:12 pm
  #980  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,973
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there some kind of hard block on clearing CPU for redeye flights?

It's hard to tell when the flight is over 75% full in F, but I've had a few experiences now with some less-full flights that give me the impression they simply don't run advance upgrades at all. As in, they might wait until boarding and then clear eight upgrades.

Wondering if anyone else noticed or perceived this as a trend.
A red eye flight seems to be the ideal scenario for an “impulse buy-up” at the gate.
SPN Lifer, dvs7310 and 8MiHi like this.
SS255 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:35 pm
  #981  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,813
Originally Posted by SS255
A red eye flight seems to be the ideal scenario for an “impulse buy-up” at the gate.
Yeah if it's a policy, it's obviously to try to grab more buy-ups.

In the context of upgrades though, it's very annoying. Domestic redeye upgrade can be a bit of a booby prize, but then having a mostly random seat assignment makes it worse.
fumje is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:44 pm
  #982  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 4,751
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there some kind of hard block on clearing CPU for redeye flights?
Just the red-eyes, or all the late departures? Possible they keep the later flights open preferentially to accommodate any J bookings that were impacted from irrops from earlier in the day?
SPN Lifer likes this.
econ is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:52 pm
  #983  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 27,015
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there some kind of hard block on clearing CPU for redeye flights?

It's hard to tell when the flight is over 75% full in F, but I've had a few experiences now with some less-full flights that give me the impression they simply don't run advance upgrades at all. As in, they might wait until boarding and then clear eight upgrades.

Wondering if anyone else noticed or perceived this as a trend.
Was flying SFO-PIT redeye on H fare earlier this week.

Booked 26 hours before, so sweep had already run and was sitting at 17/20 with long upgrade list.

Applied PlusPoints and was #1.

Upgrade cleared at 23hr, 55min before.

I was the only upgrade that cleared.

Two buy-ups made cabin full about 12 hours prior to departure.

Just giving you that data point even though it wasn't a CPU.
cesco.g and 8MiHi like this.
MatthewLAX is online now  
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:39 pm
  #984  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Posts: 10,386
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was flying SFO-PIT redeye on H fare earlier this week.

Booked 26 hours before, so sweep had already run and was sitting at 17/20 with long upgrade list.

Applied PlusPoints and was #1.

Upgrade cleared at 23hr, 55min before.

I was the only upgrade that cleared.

Two buy-ups made cabin full about 12 hours prior to departure.

Just giving you that data point even though it wasn't a CPU.
FT wisdom would say whoever was #1 on the list at T-23:55 was getting the upgrade. "Sweeps" may have run prior to your purchase but wisdom says there's a T-24h run cleared down to J2. That's exactly what happened here. You just happened to spring to #1 with your PPs. Also, I absolutely do not buy you were #17 of 20 on an "H" fare as a 1K. Either United didn't recognize your status correctly or you are no longer 1K. Although your language is ambiguous by saying you were "17/20 with a long upgrade list". What does "17/20" mean because it's usually "your spot on the list" / "total # on the list".

-RM
uanj likes this.
RobOnLI is online now  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:06 am
  #985  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was flying SFO-PIT redeye on H fare earlier this week.

Booked 26 hours before, so sweep had already run and was sitting at 17/20 with long upgrade list.
Are you saying the upgrade list was 20 people long and initially as a 1K you were at #17? Anyway, glad you got the upgrade through!

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
FT wisdom would say whoever was #1 on the list at T-23:55 was getting the upgrade. "Sweeps" may have run prior to your purchase but wisdom says there's a T-24h run cleared down to J2. That's exactly what happened here. You just happened to spring to #1 with your PPs. Also, I absolutely do not buy you were #17 of 20 on an "H" fare as a 1K. Either United didn't recognize your status correctly or you are no longer 1K. Although your language is ambiguous by saying you were "17/20 with a long upgrade list". What does "17/20" mean because it's usually "your spot on the list" / "total # on the list".
I have the same question. A 1K at 17 on a list of 20 means only 3 people eligible for an upgrade and lower than 1K. I guess anything is possible if there are enough 1Ks with family on the flight but seems out of the ordinary.
SPN Lifer likes this.
uanj is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 8:12 am
  #986  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 27,015
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
FT wisdom would say whoever was #1 on the list at T-23:55 was getting the upgrade. "Sweeps" may have run prior to your purchase but wisdom says there's a T-24h run cleared down to J2. That's exactly what happened here. You just happened to spring to #1 with your PPs. Also, I absolutely do not buy you were #17 of 20 on an "H" fare as a 1K. Either United didn't recognize your status correctly or you are no longer 1K. Although your language is ambiguous by saying you were "17/20 with a long upgrade list". What does "17/20" mean because it's usually "your spot on the list" / "total # on the list".

-RM
Let's not make assumptions when a lack of clarity is a better answer. I can assure you I am 1K and my status was correctly reflected.

The flight was booked 17/20 in F when I ticketed. I was initially #3 on the upgrade list (out of 35 or so), but jumped to #1 when I applied PlusPoints.

Flight was 10/20 the day before (when I probably should have booked even though the trip was much more uncertain at that point), so it is likely the "new normal" 36-hour sweep occurred to bring the cabin to 17/20.

We are only discussing this because of the previous question concerning redeye flights and whether upgrades clear differently. That has not been my experience.

Originally Posted by uanj
Are you saying the upgrade list was 20 people long and initially as a 1K you were at #17? Anyway, glad you got the upgrade through!

I have the same question. A 1K at 17 on a list of 20 means only 3 people eligible for an upgrade and lower than 1K. I guess anything is possible if there are enough 1Ks with family on the flight but seems out of the ordinary.
No, I was #3 on the list with CPU, #1 with PP. List was 35+ people long.

By 17/20, I meant how full the 737 MAX 9 cabin was booked.
SPN Lifer, uanj, Kacee and 1 others like this.
MatthewLAX is online now  
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:58 pm
  #987  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 3,104
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

The flight was booked 17/20 in F when I ticketed. I was initially #3 on the upgrade list (out of 35 or so), but jumped to #1 when I applied PlusPoints.

No, I was #3 on the list with CPU, #1 with PP. List was 35+ people long.

By 17/20, I meant how full the 737 MAX 9 cabin was booked.
Oh OK, that makes sense, thanks.

I have a 1K friend who feels that if his upgrade on a domestic flight does not clear at T-24 there is a significantly less than a 50% chance it will clear even if he is #1. He say that is not just more last minute buy-ups bult also with no change fees more people booked in first changing if there is space available. His opinion, anyway. I agree there are a lot of people buying up across all 3 major carriers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
uanj is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:13 am
  #988  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,201
Originally Posted by uanj
I have a 1K friend who feels that if his upgrade on a domestic flight does not clear at T-24 there is a significantly less than a 50% chance it will clear even if he is #1.
That's absolutely accurate. I've posted that same comment here before. If you're #1 on the list inside T-24, your best chance of sitting up front is to buy the upgrade, because if you don't someone else probably will.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:03 am
  #989  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by zombietooth
How much is your time worth? I would love to find a way to use some of my PPs but, alas, I have to get work done. It's too glitchy to use the site right now, so I am done searching until it's fixed.
I work from home, so do searches while on work meetings that I do not care about lol
It is worth some time investment imo to spend $1k on a $5k value ticket.

Finding it harder coming back on 31st. Cannot find any PZ space open for any European hub to EWR, or ORD or IAD. As a back up, I have a flight on 1st Aug using 155k miles FCO-EWR-PBI in J . Will keep searching and if a PZ opens up for a 31st flight , will book that with PP and cancel the miles purchase on 1st Aug.
zombietooth likes this.
simonoaks is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2023, 1:56 pm
  #990  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,645
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Sorry, my text was confusing. I would like 6 coupons, offering 15% cash discounts off of any fare. So, if a P-fare was 6K, it would cost ~5.1K with the coupon (taxes and fees would make the discount less than that).

I need tax-deductible expenses and mileage awards cannot be deducted. I don't want more miles, I want less miles and more tangible rebates.
While none meets your specific needs, UA offers multiple discount approaches. Mileage tickets, Money & miles and Chase MP statement rebates. Can not be all things to all people.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.