Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by grazing
Hello everyone,

I am 1K with United and fly a lot. At this point I have 900 PlusPoints. Because I often fly paid business, I really have not had the opportunity to try to use them. So in trying to plan a vacation with my wife for winter break or next summer I thought I would try to find some routes where I could use the points for “Skip the Waitlist” immediate confirmation of an upgrade. Basically no PN or PZ inventory even exist on Europe. Asia flights. Well after two days of searching I can tell you that that option does not exist. I really don’t want to wait to the day of travel and then end up in economy or economy plus. I haven’t any idea of how to use the PlusPoints up. Does anyone have ideas or are these points virtually useless?
PZ>0 certainly exists. You just have to be extremely flexible with where and when you go. ie. be willing to travel in a much wider range of dates and duration of trip. Be willing to fly elsewhere and connect.
I agree, dont play the lottery
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't even bother trying to use PP to Europe, as I've no interest in sweating the waitlist.
They do clear reliably from Premium Economy though. would cancel the waitlist inside of the check-in window but I haven't failed one yet this year.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by weero
They do clear reliably from Premium Economy though. would cancel the waitlist inside of the check-in window but I haven't failed one yet this year.
I failed to clear waitlist from Premium Economy to Polaris EWR-ZRH (supposed to be easier and lots of unassigned seats when I booked) end of May. Flight departed with me and my wife as no. 1 & 2 on upgrade list.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
having used hundreds of +Ps this year on TATL flights all I can say ... book early and be strategic w/ routes. Pick the high-J 763 routes. You can find PZ.

Also, paid J is great ... but you realize you use +Ps to upgrade to First? Great use and pretty easy upgrade overall IMHO.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
I failed to clear waitlist from Premium Economy to Polaris EWR-ZRH (supposed to be easier and lots of unassigned seats when I booked) end of May. Flight departed with me and my wife as no. 1 & 2 on upgrade list.
That is a tough route to upgrade with bankers filling the Polaris seats often.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Oh no you can.
Haven’t miss and upgrade for myself or (mostly) people I sponsor in like 2 years. And never wasted one +P or GPU ever.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benewr
Oh no you can.
Haven’t miss and upgrade for myself or (mostly) people I sponsor in like 2 years. And never wasted one +P or GPU ever.
To be fair GS u/g book into PN and clear easier. (I am in a similar position like you ).
Nevertheless happy for your success!
Boraxo, leoo and benewr like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
To be fair GS u/g book into PN and clear easier.
Yep, that's a bit of an understatement even. GS experience is really not relevant to the 1K upgrade discussion (noting thread title).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
To be fair GS u/g book into PN and clear easier. (I am in a similar position like you ).
Nevertheless happy for your success!
Yeah, I've noticed quite a bit of PN available out there but, oddly, 6 months out, it is usually just PN1 with an empty J-cabin. However, there is almost no PZ to Asia and, most of my business associates are not clearing on their trips to Japan and are kvetching about spending 12-14 hours in coach (their company no longer covers paid J-travel for executives). My business visa for Japan should be coming through any day now and, if my PlusPoints don't clear within 48 hours of travel, I'll just cancel for FFC and use miles (there have been plenty of last-minute JN awards to Japan lately).
SPN Lifer and A Little Cow like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 20, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Hmm. Maybe at some point I will experiment by buying international PE well in advance, put some PPs on it, and see if I clear.within a few weeks, while continuing to monitor. If it doesn't, I can then cancel and do something else. I always have use for credits, mainly by flying domestic. However, I have pretty much selected all my international flights for the rest of the year already and am in business class on other airlines. I'm just not willing to take even a 25% chance I might be sitting in economy on a long flight with my back.
zombietooth and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I am flying every week and always buy F, and what I have found in casual discussions with my cabin-mates is that few of them are elites in any program. They just no longer want to fly in the back and obviously have the disposable income to do it. There has been a paradigm shift, I believe, in travel, where even folks who only fly a few times a year now see value in paying for F. I don't know if it's a desire to be as far away from other pax as possible or just a new fatalism along the lines of, "Hey, I could die tomorrow from COVID or something else, so I might as well spend my money now.".

The upshot of my philosophizing; fewer 1Ks probably won't make much of a difference in your UG rate. Higher F prices certainly would.
This is the biggest point and I've been saying this for a while. I usually fly 50% Y / 50% F (paid for both). My success rate on upgrades without plus points or RPU (in the past) was extremely high. Now, I put PP on everything and there have been flights where I did not clear. People are paying for F - period. I have a family member that is way up there on the wealth scale.... flies private some but has always been fine with Y when he flies commercial for legs shorter than 3 hours. Based in dallas so most of his flights fall into that category. Had this exact conversation with he and his wife recently and they now pay for F - period. Not scared of covid but maybe just got used to the front and didnt want to go back.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Fascinating. Same flight early June, I cleared more than a week out.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by weero
Fascinating. Same flight early June, I cleared more than a week out.
I cleared EWR-GVA a month out booked in Premium Plus. My return (in just over a week from now) has still not cleared and as of yesterday only has 6 seats occupied in a high J 767.

Another benefit of Premium Plus is that the domestic segments get booked into a really high fare class (B for me) which is great for scoring upgrades, even on PS routes.
weero likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
This is the biggest point and I've been saying this for a while. I usually fly 50% Y / 50% F (paid for both). My success rate on upgrades without plus points or RPU (in the past) was extremely high. Now, I put PP on everything and there have been flights where I did not clear. People are paying for F - period. I have a family member that is way up there on the wealth scale.... flies private some but has always been fine with Y when he flies commercial for legs shorter than 3 hours. Based in dallas so most of his flights fall into that category. Had this exact conversation with he and his wife recently and they now pay for F - period. Not scared of covid but maybe just got used to the front and didnt want to go back.
I am of the mind that it’s all about fear of Covid after two years of staying away from everyone.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by therossinator
..Another benefit of Premium Plus is that the domestic segments get booked into a really high fare class (B for me) which is great for scoring upgrades, even on PS routes.
If I have to transfer to or from a US domestic airport - which I prefer more and more, given the chaos the European hubs are in - this is the one feature that I appreciate the most. Being booked into B or Y will make sure that I hove near the first few folks to be upgraded.
SPN Lifer and A Little Cow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.