Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
The upgrade list is now available. As a 1K on a Q Fare with PP I am 16th on the list. Sigh.
Bummer. Behind all GS and anyone in the 24 seat PE cabin who applied an instrument.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm flying SFO-EWR-RDU Sunday. I bought a $400 one-way Q fare back in March. At the time SFO-EWR was a 757-200 so no Premium Plus for sale. I immediately applied PlusPoints. I've been waitlisted since even though the plane has been changed from a 757-200 to a 787-9 and finally to a 777-300.

The upgrade list is now available. As a 1K on a Q Fare with PP I am 16th on the list. Sigh.
At least you're #3 for 8 on EWR-RDU and will get that either tonight or at T-24h. Winning

-RM
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
At least you're #3 for 8 on EWR-RDU and will get that either tonight or at T-24h. Winning

-RM
Consolation prize?

​​​​​​Looking at current fare within T-48, you can still get SFO-EWR-RDU for under $400. Even the nonstop fare is not much higher. This is the main reason I have stopped buying fares 6-12 months in advance; usually within a few weeks ahead only now. Also minimize the constant schedule change churns.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Oh ye of little faith. I fully believe United will sell enough of those seats for $49 that they'll all be gone by Sunday night.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
what is interesting (painful?) in some of this is that the F flights are either relatively inexpensive or ridiculous - meaning for some of the flights that I am looking at over the next few months, F fares range from 2x econ prices to >6x econ prices!
... and the 2x ones appear to sell out quickly? (Hawaii - SFO or LAX on a 737 anyone?)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, what time frame/day of the week is that similar next trip? Some days and periods are busier than others.

David
exactly. Late-August is moving beyond the family season (our schools start Aug 10) and midweek evening westbound is easier than mid afternoon weekend eastbound. Red eyes aLos seem to have cheaper F perhaps there are others like me who prefer to sleep in a bed rather than maximize a vacation day.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I currently have 4 flights waiting for upgrades using Plus Points:

Monday (early December) TPAC Y fare to either PP or Polaris
Friday (mid January) TPAC Y fare to either PP or Polaris.
Bizarrely the Monday outbound and Friday return were significantly cheaper then a Tuesday/Wednesday flight which would be my usual choice.

Tuesday (mid May) TATL W fare to Polaris as there is no PP cabin.
Tuesday (mid June) TATL W fare to Polaris as there is no PP cabin.

Recognize the last one is less likely to happen and that is okay as it is a day time flight.

Am hoping there is a culling of the 1Ks but with all the PlusPoints extended to 7/31/23 feeling somewhat pessimistic...
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Bummer. Behind all GS and anyone in the 24 seat PE cabin who applied an instrument.
Want Polaris seats, buy Prem Plus. And even then on certain routes prepare to lose sometimes or sweat it out at the gate.
Aussienarelle and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Part of the problem is the disconnect of reality. Many of us who travel for work can’t buy F or are stuck with the lowest fares. We are not competing with other 1k or GS - we are competing with tourists or those who pay for their own tickets.

some of my domestic flights over the next few months already have completely book F cabins. Even if I wanted to buy up or pay for F- it’s not an option. Hence, forget about cpu or pp
hsawaknow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
What gets me as a GS are the types of routes which sell out in First. I’m flying DEN-MEM today (on an E175) and first was sold out when I bought my tickets 3 weeks ago. Who is buying these seats? Why? The flight is like 100 minutes. I’m sure most folks in first are connecting, but why on earth are they paying extra for first?

A $150 upgrade is like paying United $100 an hour to treat you just a little bit less worse that all the others in coach.

SMH
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
What gets me as a GS are the types of routes which sell out in First. I’m flying DEN-MEM today (on an E175) and first was sold out when I bought my tickets 3 weeks ago. Who is buying these seats? Why? The flight is like 100 minutes. I’m sure most folks in first are connecting, but why on earth are they paying extra for first?

A $150 upgrade is like paying United $100 an hour to treat you just a little bit less worse that all the others in coach.

SMH
Likely connecting from somewhere else. Maybe HNL-DEN-MEM in F?
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Just curious....Which one has better chance for upgrade? CPU or PP? Would you get upgraded sooner with PP, say, >T72-hours?
Do 1K still get "instant" upgrade with M fares? Never seemed to get CPU with my M fares.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
Just curious....Which one has better chance for upgrade? CPU or PP? Would you get upgraded sooner with PP, say, >T72-hours?
Do 1K still get "instant" upgrade with M fares? Never seemed to get CPU with my M fares.
PP, of course. But...very much route specific, some routes you can clear without any instrument, and even at the lowest fare buckets (G,K), some routes no chances even applying PP.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
Part of the problem is the disconnect of reality. Many of us who travel for work can’t buy F or are stuck with the lowest fares. We are not competing with other 1k or GS - we are competing with tourists or those who pay for their own tickets.

some of my domestic flights over the next few months already have completely book F cabins.Even if I wanted to buy up or pay for F- it’s not an option. Hence, forget about cpu or pp
You can't pay for an F upgrade out of pocket on a work flight? How would your company even know if you did that? I've occasionally bought up to F on work flights when the price is right, and my company has a very strict economy-only policy for domestic flights.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seph87
You can't pay for an F upgrade out of pocket on a work flight? How would your company even know if you did that?
I'm not sure that's quite what the OP meant -- rather that if F is already sold out, there's nothing to be purchased -- but if you use a corporate travel department, they will absolutely be notified when you upgrade. They're acting as your travel agent, so UA will notify them about any changes to the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.