Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have a no-status contractor that flies with me sometimes on jobs (booked in E-), and he consistently gets offered low-ball UGs e.g. SF0-EWR for $299- when I am seeing $899- after removing my PPs on the same flight.
This actually just reminds me of something that caught my attention a few days ago. The mother (a kettle) of one of my good friends is flying BER-EWR-IAH on Jan 4. Knowing I have some PPs expiring on Jan 31, I took a look at upgrading her, and the buy-up price offered from her low-fare economy to Polaris (BER-EWR) was only $868. I thought that seemed unusually low compared to anything I've ever been offered, but now the "cheap buy-ups for kettles" theory potentially explains it.
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I saw $90 bucks SAN-SFO but think that was the same as the upfare. Of course, PP applied to a relatively high economy fare and still ended up nowhere near the top of the ug list. Such is SFO life.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I am not sure people understand the concept of traveling on "OPM" - while I am sure there are lots of different circumstances, I know when I travel - most on "OPM" that I have a travel agent that books my flights and pays for them. Yes, I can specify a specific airline - and I will pick UA when I can - but I have to have a good reason, especially if the tickets are much more expensive. Yes, I can use "my own" money (MOM?) to upgrade, but I can not return a F ticket and purchase something cheaper and then use the refund to by up and pocket the rest myself. More specifically, my contract (and YMMY) only allows for cheapest E - any UG or perks, I get via status....in other words - OPM is not 'free', there are rules typically attached to it
SPN Lifer, uanj and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well UA wins if you do that, because then they've got your old money and your new money. Better just to upfare the current ticket.
Not following you, I use the credit from the cancelled ticket to purchase the new one. The "new money" is the additional fare.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Doubtful. Most will probably actually relish the opportunity to pad their PQDs
Also, what competition? How many GS/1K are truly in a position to fly the competition, either contractually thru their workplace, or because of location/flying patterns?
Respectfully, most people, even at GS level, have to follow budgets and policies. We manage travel costs very closely and provide (adequately) comfortable travel at not one dollar more than necessary. You are using too broad a paintbrush of GS "relishing the opportunity" to pad their PQDS. Your second point of hub captives is well taken, I agree this may figure into whatever algorithm UA is using.

Your handle says you are 1K. Imagine if you start seeing much higher buy-ups as a 1K compared to someone you are traveling with who has no status, all other things equal. At least they are not doing it with fares as far as we know.

Originally Posted by mfirst
I am not sure people understand the concept of traveling on "OPM" - while I am sure there are lots of different circumstances, I know when I travel - most on "OPM" that I have a travel agent that books my flights and pays for them. Yes, I can specify a specific airline - and I will pick UA when I can - but I have to have a good reason, especially if the tickets are much more expensive. Yes, I can use "my own" money (MOM?) to upgrade, but I can not return a F ticket and purchase something cheaper and then use the refund to by up and pocket the rest myself. More specifically, my contract (and YMMY) only allows for cheapest E - any UG or perks, I get via status....in other words - OPM is not 'free', there are rules typically attached to it
This is more reflective of reality.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
Not following you, I use the credit from the cancelled ticket to purchase the new one. The "new money" is the additional fare.
UA usually won't allow you to use a credit from a cancelled flight to repurchase the same flight.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA usually won't allow you to use a credit from a cancelled flight to repurchase the same flight.
In my experience, I've been able to cancel, book a new (different) flight on the same day, then change back to the original/intended flight. I suspect this might just be another IT issue (same as the inability to "change" to the same flight when doing add/collect when the fare drops).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:26 am

remember, while there are some people who might, as a function of how their employment works, allows for such practices - it is one thing to "save the company money" it is another to pocket that difference yourself.....

also, this is all based upon the fares dropping and being able to take advantage of that arbitrage - but, the system works both ways and we have all seen, over the span for a few minutes, substantial increases in fare and/or specific seats (or upgrades, cabins, etc) disappear.....

this can be a dangerous game.

So, I just purchase a RT OGG-SAN ticket for a flight in a couple of weeks here are the WFBF by-up options:
OGG-SFO: $400 .... ok, about usual for that leg from what I have seen
SFO-SAN: $1153 - yes, over fifteen HUNDRED dollars for that segment (which the E+ price as a 1-way was $130)
SAN-LAX: $130
LAX-OGG: the usual $400.....

$1,153 - what!!!!
... not even worth applied PP to try and upgrade for that
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2023 at 11:05 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
So, I just purchase a RT OGG-SAN ticket for a flight in a couple of weeks here are the WFBF by-up options:
OGG-SFO: $400 .... ok, about usual for that leg from what I have seen
SFO-SAN: $1153 - yes, over fifteen HUNDRED dollars for that segment (which the E+ price as a 1-way was $130)
SAN-LAX: $130
LAX-OGG: the usual $400.....

$1,153 - what!!!!
... not even worth applied PP to try and upgrade for that
Not surprising. SFO-SAN is one tough upgrade much of the time. If there’s only 1-2 seats left, that’s the kind of TOD offer you’re likely to see.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by as219
If there’s only 1-2 seats left, that’s the kind of TOD offer you’re likely to see.
It just depends on how UA handles the inventory. Sometimes they're happy to sell those seats as upgrades at the lowest differential, and will open P. Other times they'll restrict inventory to J, which means #1 on the list actually has a chance at the upgrade.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by uanj
Your handle says you are 1K. Imagine if you start seeing much higher buy-ups as a 1K compared to someone you are traveling with who has no status, all other things equal. At least they are not doing it with fares as far as we know.
I fully expect buyups to be higher for GS/1Ks and I m ok with that, and seen that when I remove wife's 1K number from her reservation on the exact same flight/fare as I m on with my 1K number in my reservation. Fares would indeed be another story 🫨

I m very happy with PP in 2023. Hopefully next year will also be as easy to use them, since it will be our final as 1Ks.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:06 pm

rank - I am not sure I agree, but I would like to here your logic on why you are "ok with 1k/GS buy-ups being higher" - is this a 'reward' for loyalty?

-m
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
rank - I am not sure I agree, but I would like to here your logic on why you are "ok with 1k/GS buy-ups being higher" - is this a 'reward' for loyalty?

-m
Because the higher the latter you go, the higher probably of retention. United likely already has you for future bookings; there is no reason to "discount" TOD.
rankourabu and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:48 pm

Repooc - I am still not sure I understand that logic as maybe the "frequent fliers" (i.e. 1k/GS) realize the real value (or lack there of) of buying up for a 90 minute flight?
... I can understand the "retention" argument - but not sure it applies... especially since just because you are 1k (I think GS is a little different) that does not inherently imply that the airline is making a lot of $/mile off you.

-m
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I fully expect buyups to be higher for GS/1Ks and I m ok with that
“I’m OK being cheated.”

Your call — but I’m not.

We’ve gone around and around on this. It doesn’t seem to be getting us anywhere.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jsloan
“I’m OK being cheated.”

Your call — but I’m not.

We’ve gone around and around on this. It doesn’t seem to be getting us anywhere.
United response: what are you gonna do about it? Ah, nothing. Thought so.

Judging by this thread, a lot of people find PPs useless and cant spend them, yet keep accumulating more.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.