Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tryathlete
My boss who is a Diamond on DL says he’s always getting upgraded. Who knows.
Getting upgraded to what? At Delta, even getting Comfort+ requires clearing an upgrade.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dyce
I had a Thursday flight to STT cancel in February due to weather... the next available flight option on United was on the following Sunday. No other options offered, refused to look for other airline routing. I'm MM, and to be honest, Platinum over Gold lifetime is not enough incentive for me to continue to book 100% of my travel on United as I was doing up until last year. They're cutting the GS (and other level) benefits so much that at least for me they're losing (some of) my business. I now book on routing, schedule, and price. And as I said above, when on international business the experience on other carriers is simply better, despite the UA status. I'd put up with the dismal food service in flying exclusively United international business if the additional benefits were (IMO) commensurate, but when I literally can't give away PP and need to pay for (domestic) first to get it, then what's the point?
Well, like I said, if it's not worth it then go book other carriers. It's probably not going to get better. If anything, it will probably get worse because people are still paying for First/Business. It won't get any better unless they can justify the cost of investing more into the product, which won't happen until booking away actually happens at a scale great enough to matter to them. A handful of GS/1K's leaving don't matter to UA because they're probably picking up disgruntled CK/ExPlat 360/Diamond's from AA/Delta to make up for any defections.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It is also my experience that paid J or F on other carriers means treatment substantially the same in IRROPs as being a 1K on UA. In fact, that has largely been true even on saver award business class, though they won't change you to a non-alliance flight. The 1K phone wait can be a lot shorter than other airlines, but they have not always given me my preferred option, particularly when traveling with family members. I can usually make my own changes online. And when I really need it is usually only a once or twice a year thing. Only once this year so far. So while I appreciate the dedicated line, it only moves the needle a little.

Upgrades would, but there are few upgrades when F is going out full with buyups. My PPs just get me waitlisted and mostly return to may account, when I use them. I have 240 in my account right now. I won't risk waitlisting on international flights.

So no real reason to be loyal. For domestic, I just buy, usually F, based on route and times. And for international, flying cheaper business class or using miles from credit cards to upgrade at booking on other airlines. Works great.. I'll probably still make Plat based on domestic F, but not because I tried to. Certainly not worth it to make 1K buying an inferior and more expensive Polaris product.
zombietooth, lsquare and Dyce like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yeah, I no longer do SDCs because I am always paying for F. I just want to get to my destination on the same day, and I believe that the 1K agents have lost the ability to put you on another carrier when staying with UA flights requires an overnight. And I never ask for anything unreasonable, I just want to get on the nonstop DL flight that will get me home when UA says that my flight through ORD is cancelled until the next day due to a ground stop.
Interesting.. I haven't needed to be OALed in a while, but Nov 2019 they had no issue pushing me to DL on the Sunday after Thanksgiving when the UA flight canceled.

From some comments it seems like it may be getting worse at a time when my UA flying has naturally declined since I now live in a DL hub.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
Interesting.. I haven't needed to be OALed in a while, but Nov 2019 they had no issue pushing me to DL on the Sunday after Thanksgiving when the UA flight canceled.

From some comments it seems like it may be getting worse at a time when my UA flying has naturally declined since I now live in a DL hub.
And, oddly enough, my example was a real incident that happened at MSP. Weather in ORD caused a ground stop, so my MSP-ORD flight was cancelled after an hour or so of waiting. DL's non-stop to EWR was due to leave 90 mins after my UA flight was cancelled and I couldn't get UA to put me on it, at least not without HUCA or getting aggressive. Because time was short and I wanted to get my bag out of UA's hands and onto DL, I just politely told the 1K desk to cancel and refund my remaining ticket value. After hanging up, I just walked to DL CS and bought a ticket on that flight. The agent was very helpful in tracking down my UA bag and getting it designated for the DL flight. And, best of all, I actually got home an hour earlier than expected.
tryathlete likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tryathlete
my experiences over the last month or so, is that plus points are kind of pointless. I’ve died at #1 on 3/5 flights and have had last second drop-INS of GS (or disconnects) drop me to 5 or 6 at check in. UA is selling the F cabin with little regard or consideration of status.

My wife who is also a 1K says she doesn’t think being a 1K is worth what I go through to get it. I’m already 1MM and requalified 1K and am seriously considering trying to qualify on AA or DL just to see how they’re handling elite status. My boss who is a Diamond on DL says he’s always getting upgraded. Who knows.

I do know this. If this trend doesn’t abate by Fall, I won’t continue to pursue 2MM status. UA wants incremental revenue, and I want an ROI from my BIS time. Something has to give.
What you say makes a lot of sense. If UA would rather sell F for as cheap as possible while denying upgrades to you, then obviously you'll have to do what is right for you. Status is meaningless if you ain't benefiting from it.
tryathlete and Dyce like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Getting upgraded to what? At Delta, even getting Comfort+ requires clearing an upgrade.
hes not buying discount fares but he’s getting F seats.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
Can’t use PlusPoints?

Hello everyone,

I am 1K with United and fly a lot. At this point I have 900 PlusPoints. Because I often fly paid business, I really have not had the opportunity to try to use them. So in trying to plan a vacation with my wife for winter break or next summer I thought I would try to find some routes where I could use the points for “Skip the Waitlist” immediate confirmation of an upgrade. Basically no PN or PZ inventory even exist on Europe. Asia flights. Well after two days of searching I can tell you that that option does not exist. I really don’t want to wait to the day of travel and then end up in economy or economy plus. I haven’t any idea of how to use the PlusPoints up. Does anyone have ideas or are these points virtually useless?
SFOtoTYO likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Try to use PPs on LH flight. They seem to have better availability.
LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Also, check some successful routes.
PlusPoints Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

Good luck!
weero, grazing and eightblack like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grazing
Hello everyone,

I am 1K with United and fly a lot. At this point I have 900 PlusPoints. Because I often fly paid business, I really have not had the opportunity to try to use them. So in trying to plan a vacation with my wife for winter break or next summer I thought I would try to find some routes where I could use the points for “Skip the Waitlist” immediate confirmation of an upgrade. Basically no PN or PZ inventory even exist on Europe. Asia flights. Well after two days of searching I can tell you that that option does not exist. I really don’t want to wait to the day of travel and then end up in economy or economy plus. I haven’t any idea of how to use the PlusPoints up. Does anyone have ideas or are these points virtually useless?
STW options are limited, there was a period in Q3/Q$ of 2021 they were available for Europe or Asia but no longer. Some deep South America options has been reported
more in Skip the waitlist (STW) questions.

As for Europe this summer, UA is trying to sell every seat and may be succeeding for some market, at top dollar. Few upgrades are available but folks are reporting some available in late fall and winter (not thru LHR or FRA -- but other airports. Asia has so many restrictions on flights and capacity, UA is filling those premium seats mostly paid customers.[/url]
grazing and Artpen100 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I was looking regularly for TATL business class for August, September and December up until a few weeks ago. I saw PZ appear briefly only on found a few westbound flights (ex-BRU and GVA), but the price to purchase the other leg in business was so high it made no sense. And I have never seen a STW offer. Ever. I am unwilling to waitlist, and reports are that there is a substantial risk they would not go through. Here is what I did instead: Saver awards through UA.com (70K miles each way) on OS and SN, upgrade with miles on BA and AF (I find they offer a reasonable amount of upgrade space in advance you can find on their websites or using expertflyer), and saver awards (55K or 81.5K miles each way) on AF/KLM. I had a lot of miles stranded on various airlines from pandemic cancellations, plus a lot from credit cards, so just burned through those.

I'd be surprised if I use more than a few of my PPs, and those on domestic flights.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't even bother trying to use PP to Europe, as I've no interest in sweating the waitlist.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't even bother trying to use PP to Europe, as I've no interest in sweating the waitlist.
I have to unexpectedly fly this week to LHR and they wanted over $10k for a EWR-LHR J ticket -- but unbelievably the EWR day flights have PN/PZ space so I used some PP and paid for Economy -- best use of PP in years!
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Agree it's frustrating. I've visited London twice in the past 4 weeks and have cleared the upgrade list 3 out of 4 times (my 4th flight is this Wed and I'm currently 1st on the list). I'm confident it will clear.

I haven't missed an upgrade in a long time, but I am buying Premium Plus. This trip I'm on right now I only decided on a week ago. UA wanted drug money to fly DEN to LHR in Polaris so I decided to route DEN-ORD-BRU and then catch the train from Brussels to London (which was so much better, very relaxing and I got to avoid the Heathrow Horror story. I cleared the ORD-BRU upgrade at T-24 and was 2 on the list.

Took the kids home to Australia late March this year and ticketed in Premium Plus - all upgrades to Polaris cleared both ways.
Artpen100 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
We've had success in getting Summer Polaris upgrades on the BOS - LHR / LHR - BOS flights in advance. Four so far.

Also successful in getting two SFO - LHR Fall upgrades confirmed to Premium Plus (waitlisted for Polaris).
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.