FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:20 pm
Artpen100

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It is also my experience that paid J or F on other carriers means treatment substantially the same in IRROPs as being a 1K on UA. In fact, that has largely been true even on saver award business class, though they won't change you to a non-alliance flight. The 1K phone wait can be a lot shorter than other airlines, but they have not always given me my preferred option, particularly when traveling with family members. I can usually make my own changes online. And when I really need it is usually only a once or twice a year thing. Only once this year so far. So while I appreciate the dedicated line, it only moves the needle a little.

Upgrades would, but there are few upgrades when F is going out full with buyups. My PPs just get me waitlisted and mostly return to may account, when I use them. I have 240 in my account right now. I won't risk waitlisting on international flights.

So no real reason to be loyal. For domestic, I just buy, usually F, based on route and times. And for international, flying cheaper business class or using miles from credit cards to upgrade at booking on other airlines. Works great.. I'll probably still make Plat based on domestic F, but not because I tried to. Certainly not worth it to make 1K buying an inferior and more expensive Polaris product.