Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
I searched for you, 5 mins:
EWR-LHR 9 Sept PZ = 5
EWR-KEF 11 Sept PZ = 4

They are there, but they are rarer - which is well documented in this thread because demand is up, even more than your late 2021 search. UA sometimes releases J saver awards and PZ space when the J cabin is reasonably empty and their algorithm doesn't expect it to fill with P/C/D/J fares.

Waitlisting is absolutely more common; if you aren't willing to search/be flexible, or take the waitlist gamble, then I agree that PP's are useless.
Thanks! KEF only gets you halfway to Europe but I get your point and I did find a BOS-LHR one on Sep 12.
I suppose a good idea would be to book award travel and then in the days before get ready to cancel it if a non-waitlisted option comes up to get me across the pond. I'll try it out when I try to go SFO-AMS at the end of October. Thanks again.

UPDATE: when going to book my flight I noticed that there was no waitlist! Maybe I've been too harsh. Booked and PlusPoints applied!

Sorry for the possibly noob question but where do you see PZ status? Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 8, 2022 at 8:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
Sorry for the possibly noob question but where do you see PZ status? Thanks.
Activate Expert Mode -- there's a board thread on this -- and then do a search and look at the details for each flight you're interested in.
rbakker likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
ok, clearly YMMV on this - but it might reflect an interesting approach to using PP's
I posted a question separately about using and then canceling PP when I thought a CPU was going to clear, so here is an update on how this went down:

outbound: LAS-DEN
90min flight, even with tons of PP, probably not worth wasting them for a short flight with no meals, etc
.. besides, I had the seat that I usually like
t-48: 2 open F seats, I'm #2 on the list with a CPU
t-24: same at check-in
at one point the #1 cleared
at boarding, my upgrade cleared.... yeah!

DEN-MSY:
2+ hour flight, lunch provided, heck probably worth 20 PP to try
t-48: 4 seats in F, I am #1 with PP requested
t-24: before check in, I cancel the PP, but stay #1 on the list with 4 seats left
... then 2 of the 4 got taken - not sure how, but I became #3 on the list and 2 cleared - now back to #1, but only 2 open seats
... at boarding, with 2 open seats in F - both #1 (me) and #2 cleared for UG - yeah

so, UG on both with CPU as a 1K on S fares
... yes, it is a gamble - but isnt all of this a game these days, especially with the PP
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
not sure how, but I became #3 on the list and 2 cleared - now back to #1, but only 2 open seats
If you saw yourself become #2 on the list, either a 1K with a higher fare class or a GS bought tickets, or, more likely IMO, somebody below you did the opposite of what you did -- "hey, I'm not going to clear, may as well use PlusPoints."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:49 am

jsloan - yup, that was my thinking... there were 2 different last names and I wasn't paying enough attention to see how far below me they were..... but it does make the PP poker game more intriguing with seeing where you are with PP and without if there are bunch of seats... and for me, the upgrades are nice, but does it really mean much on a sub 2 1/2 flight?

-m
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, clearly YMMV on this - but it might reflect an interesting approach to using PP's
I posted a question separately about using and then canceling PP when I thought a CPU was going to clear, so here is an update on how this went down:

outbound: LAS-DEN
90min flight, even with tons of PP, probably not worth wasting them for a short flight with no meals, etc
.. besides, I had the seat that I usually like
t-48: 2 open F seats, I'm #2 on the list with a CPU
t-24: same at check-in
at one point the #1 cleared
at boarding, my upgrade cleared.... yeah!

DEN-MSY:
2+ hour flight, lunch provided, heck probably worth 20 PP to try
t-48: 4 seats in F, I am #1 with PP requested
t-24: before check in, I cancel the PP, but stay #1 on the list with 4 seats left
... then 2 of the 4 got taken - not sure how, but I became #3 on the list and 2 cleared - now back to #1, but only 2 open seats

... at boarding, with 2 open seats in F - both #1 (me) and #2 cleared for UG - yeah

so, UG on both with CPU as a 1K on S fares
... yes, it is a gamble - but isnt all of this a game these days, especially with the PP
Did your DENMSY flight not run the J2 upgrade sweep at t-24h? Or did you get pushed down to 3rd by t-24h? (Or you did not check obsessively right around t-24h?)
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Did your DENMSY flight not run the J2 upgrade sweep at t-24h? Or did you get pushed down to 3rd by t-24h? (Or you did not check obsessively right around t-24h?)
I got a CPU on DEN-MSY on September 13. First CPU in aong time
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:03 am

Aussienarelle - maybe we were on the same flight.... left around 2pm arrived around 5p?
(were you the guy sitting next to me watching top gun?)
-m
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Aussienarelle - maybe we were on the same flight.... left around 2pm arrived around 5p?
(were you the guy sitting next to me watching top gun?)
-m
No I think you were in 3A? I was in 1B

Yes that was the flight

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Sep 14, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:13 am

3F

all around a good flight......
PFB - including champagne
"thank you for being 1k and flying with us"
asked first about my meal choice as there were limited numbers of each (I told him that I would take whatever he had extras off)
my adult beverage served in a glass with ice - vs the plastic bottle handed to me (which I actually sometimes prefer)
.. a refill when he saw it was empty

even though delayed a little out of DEN - arrived on time (I think)
luggage came out as I got to baggage claim

the FA was very friendly and professional......

... and no one had to get kicked off
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:38 am

ok - here is a new way to limit upgrades - just dont even offer them at all. Dont even offer the option to get on a waitlist

I have an upcoming IAH-CLE flight on monday (737-700) and I wanted to see if I could apply PP
there are 4 seats open as of now (see below)
but when I go to see what the options are - they say nothing is available (no PP/$$/miles options) and there is no "CPU requested" as I often see.....

what's up with this?

-m
  • J4
  • JN4
  • C3
  • D2
  • Z1
  • ZN1
  • P0
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H8
  • HN1
  • Q7
  • V4
  • W1
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok - here is a new way to limit upgrades - just dont even offer them at all. Dont even offer the option to get on a waitlist

I have an upcoming IAH-CLE flight on monday (737-700) and I wanted to see if I could apply PP
there are 4 seats open as of now (see below)
but when I go to see what the options are - they say nothing is available (no PP/$$/miles options) and there is no "CPU requested" as I often see.....

what's up with this?
IT glitch; there have been a couple of reports. Check back later, or try switching from website to app (or vice versa, as appropriate).
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:48 am

jsloan - that was my initial thought, but I have been trying for several days now on both the website and the app - same thing
...could it be a sign of a potential airplane swap?

-m
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jsloan - that was my initial thought, but I have been trying for several days now on both the website and the app - same thing

-m
Well, the 737-700 has the smallest F cabin in the mainline fleet, so I don't know why they'd intentionally shut off the upgrade list. :/ Any swap to/from a flight without an F cabin would necessarily involve a flight number change, so it should reset the list anyway.

I'm guessing standard UA IT weirdness.

With any luck, maybe other people are having the same problem and then they can't jump you
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

-m
Are you sure you're not on a Basic Economy ticket? You cannot use any upgrade methods on BE tickets. If you don't think you're on BE, check your e-ticket receipt in the endorsement sections and make sure it doesn't include things like NOASR or NOCBBG. If it does then you booked Basic Eco.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.