Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
For domestic, getting people to buy up to F makes sense. The cabin is almost always filled with it. But for international, does it make sense if the business class cabin is not full to charge a high retail price and then release a bunch of upgrade only at the last minute? I might have bought business on one leg if I could have upgraded the other at booking. Instead that drives me to other airlines, as I am not willing to waitlist.
MatthewLAX and leoo like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Usage of the phrase varies widely, but I think the most common these days is to refer to any kind of "sticker-type" upgrade that is not an up-fare or change, and therefore has a different price than the actual premium fare.
Yes and my understanding is these offers are usually presented during T-24 check in window

My point is that F cabins seem to be full well before T-24, meaning folks are simply paying big sums to lock it in.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA and DL (don't fly AA so not sure) make the offers available at any point after booking. Sometimes the price drops during the check-in window, and historically lower prices were available then.

But yes, I agree that statistically a full F cabin prior to T-24 probably implies mostly outright-booked fares. Most people don't log in to check their booking constantly.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Like other said, it is getting harder to get upgrades, even with PPs. I have been lucky though; I have an August LAX-TYO on UA with PP upgrades upon ticketing, later in May another LAX-NRT OW on UA with a PP upgrade (return on P fare NH), LAX-IAH-CZM with the IAH-CZM leg PP upgrade and the return nonstop CZM-LAX with a PP upgrade.
For the July RT LAX-LHR, I got P+ tickets, upgraded to Polaris on the return leg for under $700 per person for my wife and I, and, applied PPs to the outbound. I think we will remain in our P+ seats on that leg.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I too am paying for PP (O/A/R) on certain segments so that if my PPs (pluspoints) don’t clear it is a less brutal landing. And buying into PP does give a better chance of having the upgrade come through
Old May 2, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by UAFAM
No
Thanks for the precise, concise, and emphatic reply. Confirms how useless they are
J_Stroming likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
Thanks for the precise, concise, and emphatic reply. Confirms how useless they are
GS using +Ps is already at the top of the list ... what else are you looking for?
Old May 2, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I (Plat) just got upgraded for my PHX-IAH flight tomorrow (first leg of PHX-IAH-MSY), making me 3/3 on the year. If 1K upgrades are extinct, Plat upgrades seen to be thriving!

Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and made a SDC to a more convenient flight (with no chance whatsoever of an upgrade) so this will end my streak. On the good side they opened up some T inventory so I could make the change without paying a ~$600 fare difference (my entire round trip was only about $350), so overall I'm happy with the treatment I'm getting as a platinum.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by cfischer
GS using +Ps is already at the top of the list ... what else are you looking for?
Something better than a less than 20% success rate would be nice
Old May 3, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yes and my understanding is these offers are usually presented during T-24 check in window

My point is that F cabins seem to be full well before T-24, meaning folks are simply paying big sums to lock it in.
I've got 2 OGG-SFO flights this summer that are already fully booked in F (I booked them 3 months ago and they were very expensive compared to HNL). I only noticed this because UA changed my seats for some reason and sent me a message (same equipment).
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by manstein58
Something better than a less than 20% success rate would be nice
You mentioned SFO-EWR. As you have seen, transcontinental flights often sell out up front, with n PP upgrades ever clearing. On other routes, they are much more likely to clear -- particularly if you are GS.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You mentioned SFO-EWR. As you have seen, transcontinental flights often sell out up front, with n PP upgrades ever clearing. On other routes, they are much more likely to clear -- particularly if you are GS.
Pretty hard to clear on routes other than transcon as well. If you are flying SYR/EWR, maybe you clear. Other spots, less than 20%. Bait & switch
Old May 3, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I have never missed EWR-SFO PP upgrades, although I have to be flexible to SDC and switch to a different flight.

For 1Ks, it's lot more challenging.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kb1992
I have never missed EWR-SFO PP upgrades, although I have to be flexible to SDC and switch to a different flight.

For 1Ks, it's lot more challenging.
1K be nimble, 1K be quick...

David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've got 2 OGG-SFO flights this summer that are already fully booked in F (I booked them 3 months ago and they were very expensive compared to HNL)...
The good news is round-trips for less than $100 between OGG and HNL on WN and HA can still be had. That's one way to possibly save money to/from Maui, plus UC presence at HNL for layovers. Downside could be added time/inconvenience, depending on destination. Not sure upgrades are any easier out of HNL. I'm on tonight's HNL-IAH flight (paid F) and only two upgrades given out (pretty sure GS and spouse). One seat left, and I'm pretty sure it'll be bought before next upgrade processed. Tomorrow morning's 9:40am IAH-EWR 763ER sold out in F - no upgrades from visible list.
zombietooth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.