Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
IME, Flights to Florida, Mexico etc. are easier to get CPU since most F pax are not business people.

Try SFO/LAX-ORD/BOS/IAD...... Often GS won't clear upgrades!
This has been my experience as well, even though I'm just a Silver. I've had multiple flights clear both into and ex-FL. MCO-IAD and TPA-LAX.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Luckily, they didn't get PPs, so that's the way to clamber over them (as application of your PPs showed). As I've said before, UA should have prioritized those who earned over extendees for upgrades w/i each Premier level.
Dunno, I applied PPs on SFO-PHX last week and it moved me up . . . . one place on the upgrade list. Did turn out to be significant though, since it moved me into the top two, which meant I cleared during the T-24 sweep rather than having to sweat to the gate (which is usually a fail IME).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Bought up to P fare tonight instead of hoping PP would clear.

UA is winning.
SPN Lifer, rch4u, gayste and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:09 pm

Sure, there are many extended 1K & GS. But I think what are affecting upgrades most are cheap FCM offers. Don’t forget that UA has started to hold out more than usual giving up too many seats at upgrade window.

Last month, waiting for UA to open PN space for an “Instant Upgrade” fare one time on SLC-ORD, I caved and bought the bloody upfare when such was close to their TOD upgrade offer.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

UA is winning.
Give in to the Dark Side, Matthew.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 27, 2022 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
Sure, there are many extended 1K & GS. But I think what are affecting upgrades most are cheap FCM offers. Don’t forget that UA has started to hold out more than usual giving up too many seats at upgrade window.

Last month, waiting for UA to open PN space for an “Instant Upgrade” fare one time on SLC-ORD, I caved and bought the bloody upfare when such was close to their TOD upgrade offer.
Right, it's not just the (relatively) cheap F fares, it's that UA has learned to provoke panic upgrade buying by not clearing upgrades until inside T-24, and pax have correspondingly learned to recognize the signs of a doomed-to-fail upgrade, and to buy up before the cabin books full.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Definitely route and time specific. I was IAD-BNA on a Monday evening, and there was 15 out of 16 seats available. UA did not clear anyone until 22 hours from the flight departure time, and as a Platinum I was cleared with the group of 12 (I was #10), with rest of the seats cleared at the gate.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
CPUs don’t clear often for GS’s either. I think I am 1/20 over the past two years on CPU opportunities. In 2013/2014 I was 98/100 on CPU opportunities as a GS, for comparison. PP upgrades almost never clear when waitlisted either. Fortunately I often have enough flexibility to book flights where they can be cleared at booking, but when I can’t do that I don’t expect to be sitting in F unless I pay for it. Whether I pay depends on the cost. I will pay $200 extra for a four hour flight, but I won’t pay $400 for a two hour flight. I will fly coach or take Southwest for those.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I cleared as a fake silver on an XN ticket 3 weeks ago :P Granted the flight was 6 hours delayed and left at 3 AM!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Fewer flights + fewer seats + minimal clearing before t-24 (panic buying) + TPAC still virtually closed + focus on domestic travel as business and leisure travel sees pent up demand = WFBF. UA wins across the board. I'm sitting on 1,000 + PP's and haven't cleared a WL all year.
uanj and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

UA is winning.
Getting the ragu polenta would make it a clean sweep victory
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
CPUs don’t clear often for GS’s either. I think I am 1/20 over the past two years on CPU opportunities.
Wait, really? I'm a lowly plat and I'm 2/2 this year. BNA-IAH-PHX.

I will fly coach or take Southwest for those.
There's no reason to put yourself through that.
19taco78 and threecap like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

UA is winning.
This is the bottom line, in every sense of the phrase (ebitda, the crux of the matter, butts in seats).
Drewski5 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The really issue for me is not the domestic CPUs not clearing, it is the fact that if I apply the PlusPoonts, and please note I have always used my Plus Points (and before that GPUs) every year that I am not given the option to pay for the pointy end once I have applied the Plus Points.

But as others have said WFBF.

And like others i am happy to fly Southwest for many domestic flights.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
One factor for domestic upgrades may be found in an article I saw (I think in the WSJ) that during the pandemic, people who were traveling a little less were using the extra money they had to buy F. I think that was definitely true in my case, and I continue to buy a lot of my domestic travel in F. And sometimes a last minute paid upgrade (sorry).

But I am not interested in paying more than $3K or so for a TATL business class RT, especially on UA. If I can't use PP to upgrade on international, they are really not worth very much to me, and I am not likely to buy on UA. They are just too expensive and not high quality. Not when I can buy PE on BA and upgrade to business for miles at booking for $2700 or so, or even get an AF Affaires award for 55K miles one way. I'd even appreciate a STW opportunity to use up my PPs, but I never see one.

It will be interesting to see if, on some of the direct UA flights the same day as my next award flights on OAL, UA releases PZ a few days or so before. Especially since those flights are currently showing only about 1/3 full in Polaris 4 weeks out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.