Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022 | 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Dyce
Do you get the annual PPs through the lifetime MM program?
Yes.

I thought you only got them if you actually qualified for status levels that specific year? I know my MM companion doesn't get any...
Companions do not get them, however (unless they earn them on their own).
st530 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Yea it is crazy out there. I just checked the status of the PHL-ORD flight departing at today at 5:07PM and first class is booked full and there are 63 people on the upgrade list! Back at the beginning of the year during the surge of Omicron, these flights were going out mostly empty.
Q1 is a dead period anyway, relatively speaking, and that's true regardless of the effects of a pandemic.
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you get the annual PPs through the lifetime MM program? ...
If you don't otherwise earn them
I thought you only got them if you actually qualified for status levels that specific year? ...
You only get the LT PlusPoints if you don't qualify
I know my MM companion doesn't get any...
correct
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 6:51 pm
50 Countries Visited1M5 Years on Site

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by walkerci
Life Time customer value should be a major part of upgrade priority.

This can easily be done by using:

Current Premier Status Level + Million Miler Achievement Level + Fare Class to determine upgrade priority.
I think the marketing adage is what have you done for me lately? Usual marketing would be fare class but that would offend GS pax, so current status is #1 and then fare class. I say this as a 1K 1MM....
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 7:37 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited60 Nights3M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The peace of mind of being confirmed in J versus sweating out an upgrade at the gate (because for reasons that escape me, even as a 1K, I always seem to end up at #1 or #2 as flight time approaches) is increasingly worth more. Today was such a productive day because I was not constantly checking the United app to see if I was still #1 and if there were still two seats open. As long as the P fare is cheap enough, I'm just going to buy it directly. I hate flying behind the curtain, even on very short flights...
PBAudit, wxguy, seanp7 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I hate flying behind the curtain, even on very short flights...
Yup. If I could be guaranteed an empty middle it would be a different story, but good luck with that these days!
nnn, Silver Fox and jasonp622 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 10:27 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The peace of mind of being confirmed in J versus sweating out an upgrade at the gate (because for reasons that escape me, even as a 1K, I always seem to end up at #1 or #2 as flight time approaches) is increasingly worth more. Today was such a productive day because I was not constantly checking the United app to see if I was still #1 and if there were still two seats open. As long as the P fare is cheap enough, I'm just going to buy it directly. I hate flying behind the curtain, even on very short flights...
Exactly! Now that I just pay cash, I'm no longer continually checking the UG waitlist and agonizing about my chances, or trying to find flights to SDC to, and my productivity is way up in the days prior to travel. Peace of mind is worth quite a bit of money to me. As far as PlusPoints go, I would trade all of my ~800 for a $1,000- travel credit.
marks88 and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 29, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 28, 2022 | 10:47 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
. I hate flying behind the curtain, even on very short flights...
When they use the curtain anyway

This reads like such 1st world problems but Im here for it (cant argue with it)!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022 | 12:42 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited60 Nights3M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
When they use the curtain anyway

This reads like such 1st world problems but Im here for it (cant argue with it)!
We are indeed blessed and mustnt lose sight of that.
Old Apr 29, 2022 | 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by angetenar (Post # 12)
As someone who's part of the WFBF crowd, sorry.
Originally Posted by mduell (Post # 19)
FCM is what's filling F seats in a meaningful way, not extended 1Ks.
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K (Post # 35)
Sure, there are many extended 1K & GS. But I think what are affecting upgrades most are cheap FCM offers. Dont forget that UA has started to hold out more than usual giving up too many seats at upgrade window.

Last month, waiting for UA to open PN space for an Instant Upgrade fare one time on SLC-ORD, I caved and bought the bloody upfare when such was close to their TOD upgrade offer.
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy (Post # 53)
I agree on the FC monetization. When I look at my flight in 3 weeks from ORD-CHS, over half of FC has already been bought...and I presume mostly leisure
WFBF = Want first, buy first.
FCM = First class monetization

The first time one uses an abbreviation in a thread, it is helpful to define it parenthetically.
Old Apr 29, 2022 | 7:46 pm
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Here's a perfect example.

PHX-SFO next Monday. Upgrade list just became visible. 1K, W fare, PlusPoints applied, and I'm 5/33, with 3 F seats available. UA wants $140 for the upgrade (on top of a $202 fare).

So I bought a Y ticket for $138 on an AA flight departing 90 minutes later. EXP complimentary upgrade cleared about 15 minutes post-purchase.
Old Apr 29, 2022 | 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Tomorrow EWR-SFO. Since my original flight was showing J2 and a long waitlist, I did SDC to an earlier flight with J7 P0.

About 30 min later, upgrade cleared. This saves me a call to force the upgrade. I was No.1 anyway.
MatthewLAX, Silver Fox and jaro like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022 | 6:02 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I'm sorry to inform you that this is, very likely, the new post-COVID reality. Domestic F is going out full on most days with paid F flyers. My casual observation, as someone that pays for F on every flight now, is that there are a lot of non-elite customers paying for F these days. Since I get to board early, I see the majority of the GSs and 1Ks walking back to coach on nearly every flight. PPs are worthless domestically and have value internationally only if you have flexibility in travel dates and routes.

Corporate travel departments should be made aware that UGs just don't happen anymore and perhaps give you the option of discount F domestically, which is cheap on UA these days (my average cost for a transcon in F is around $1,500-). For example, my next flight, EWR-LAX in PS is $1,845- where Y is $3,058-. And, even though a Z-fare isn't refundable, it is changeable for no charge, and a $1,200- savings seems like a good motivation to change the corporate travel policy.
I wonder what percentage of the population can afford a $1800 RT EWR-LAX flight. Guessing less than 0.01 %
Old Apr 30, 2022 | 6:20 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jrquad
I wonder what percentage of the population can afford a $1800 RT EWR-LAX flight. Guessing less than 0.01 %
We're discussing corporate/business travel here, where an employee on a very expensive Y-ticket couldn't get an upgrade even though his company likely paid more for his coach ticket than discount F would've cost. Y/B/M fares are expensive, yet are the standard corporate/business fare.

Affordability is relative. If you can generate several hundred thousand dollars in revenue on a trip with 5-10K in expenses, you are doing very well.

If you're addressing leisure flyers, well then ask yourself, what percentage of the population can afford a Tesla? Evidently, it's quite a large percentage based on the success of the company. Or a thousand dollar iPhone?
Old Apr 30, 2022 | 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I’ve been very lucky, I haven’t missed a single upgrade in 2021 (though I did have some paid J) including TATL PP upgrades. I scored ORD-LHR and ZRH-ORD at booking for some flights next week. Although I do think I’ll miss my first upgrades ORD-PIT alas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.