Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
I feel most straightforward way to look at it is compare 24kPQP or 18kPQP to the old 100kPQM threshold. Simplifying a bit by ignoring the old PQM bonuses, that indicates they're seeking to have 1K status correspond to someone flying 24cpm (fewer segments) or 18cpm (more segments). Those are quite high rates — 24cpm is well within the range some had to qualify for GS in 2018.
United had a mileage based system. Some people earned 1K for $10K and others paid $35-40K. Now UA has decided that they want you to pay $333 for each PQS to attain a particular status level. That ratio applies to all levels through 1K. The difference is the multiplier between levels. e.g. It takes twice as many PQS and PQP to go from Silver to Gold but 1.5 to go from Gold to Plat and Plat to 1K. What they did was even the playing field IMO. I was a $35-40K PQD 1K flyer for a decade competing with $10K 1Ks for upgrades, so for me this is an improvement.

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by limey1K; Mar 20, 2023 at 3:39 pm Reason: Remove a judgement statement and clarify
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
But where is there any incentive to pay more to re-earn 1K? Iím happy to pay for domestic F on UA most of the time, not from any loyalty, but because of their strong network covering where I need to go. That is likely to get me Plat again, even occasionally flying AA, AS and DL.

But I used to make 1K by flying UA international a half dozen or so RTs a year in business class, often no more expensive than any other airline because the had discount J or I could get an upgrade on at least one leg with GPUs and then PPs. But now, UA is usually more expensive than OALs while it has a worse soft product. There is no incentive for me to take that.

Also, someone above mentioned $2400 discount J. One way or RT? I hadnít seen a $2400 discount business class TATL RT in 5 years or so. Maybe 3600 at bottom these days.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
One way or RT? I hadnít seen a $2400 discount business class TATL RT in 5 years or so. Maybe 3600 at bottom these days.
I paid about $2400 TATL from Calgary during their fare sale to AMS earlier this year. And I think OP is in the New York area, which often gets lower TATL prices than the rest of the country due to the amount of competition there.
United747 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA
There was a $2200 RT SFO-FCO in J earlier this year as well, and there was also the JFK-CGK deal that was very good as well that has since expired. There was also the YUL-KIX deal for $2800 earlier as well. The deals are there if you're paying attention.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Also, someone above mentioned $2400 discount J. One way or RT? I hadnít seen a $2400 discount business class TATL RT in 5 years or so. Maybe 3600 at bottom these days.
Just throwing some random dates into Google Flights, EWR-FRA is $2400 RT in J available on UA or AC metal and ticket stock.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Y7DfbYR33bV8E9

Originally Posted by jsloan
I paid about $2400 TATL from Calgary during their fare sale to AMS earlier this year. And I think OP is in the New York area, which often gets lower TATL prices than the rest of the country due to the amount of competition there.
Originally Posted by angetenar
There was a $2200 RT SFO-FCO in J earlier this year as well, and there was also the JFK-CGK deal that was very good as well that has since expired. There was also the YUL-KIX deal for $2800 earlier as well. The deals are there if you're paying attention.
Yeah, quite a few deals recently.

AC SFO-FCO
AC YYC-AMS
AC YVR-ICN
AC YYZ-KIX
NH JFK-SIN

All priced out around $2400 and earning anywhere from 3600-4200 PQP
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Booked last night SFO-PHX 3/23 - 1K on an E fare, PP applied, booked 17/20, and I'm at #9 on the list. No E+ seats, currently in the last row of the aircraft.

Forget this, I'm cancelling for a refund and booking elsewhere.
uanj and zombietooth like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 20, 2023 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Just throwing some random dates into Google Flights, EWR-FRA is $2400 RT in J available on UA or AC metal and ticket stock.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Y7DfbYR33bV8E9

Yeah, quite a few deals recently.

AC SFO-FCO
AC YYC-AMS
AC YVR-ICN
AC YYZ-KIX
NH JFK-SIN

All priced out around $2400 and earning anywhere from 3600-4200 PQP
Those are some good deals. Unfortunately, nothing is available for the dates that I need. PQP don't matter to me though. I've totally given up on using my PPs.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Looks like AC has some deals, but that will usually not work for me. Nor does originating from EWR, though I will have to look at that. Iím usually looking out of IAD.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Those are some good deals. Unfortunately, nothing is available for the dates that I need. PQP don't matter to me though. I've totally given up on using my PPs.
The dates were pretty flexible while the deals were still active (the JFK-SIN one being the exception).

Looks like AC has some deals, but that will usually not work for me. Nor does originating from EWR, though I will have to look at that. Iím usually looking out of IAD.
If you have time to spare, Union Station to EWR is $20 or so (Amtrak special). Departing from EWR is not the worst thing in the world living in the DMV. Even a cheap economy ticket IAD-EWR doesn't bump the total out of pocket costs that much (plus you collect a segment).
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Even a cheap economy ticket IAD-EWR doesn't bump the total out of pocket costs that much (plus you collect a segment).
And you might even make your connection!
Polytonic likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The dates were pretty flexible while the deals were still active (the JFK-SIN one being the exception).
The problem is that 90% of my international travel is for business. As such, I don't have more than a few days leeway. I can always travel on TUE/WED/THU but that doesn't seem to make much difference these days as I am not getting many PP UGs no matter when I fly. I looked at every option for an upcoming AMS trip and finally booked with DL because they had a nice tight itinerary (i.e. low total transit time-I never book a long layover flight, doing my best to minimize time in transit) for 3.9K in Z. Honestly, this is a fair price for J to the EU (direct to AMS from the US, thereby avoiding the crappy EU domestic F), and I'll buy this all day long vs 2.2K for UA P+ and waitlisting for an UG that never comes.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 21, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
The problem is that 90% of my international travel is for business. As such, I don't have more than a few days leeway. I can always travel on TUE/WED/THU but that doesn't seem to make much difference these days as I am not getting many PP UGs no matter when I fly. I looked at every option for an upcoming AMS trip and finally booked with DL because they had a nice tight itinerary (i.e. low total transit time-I never book a long layover flight, doing my best to minimize time in transit) for 3.9K in Z. Honestly, this is a fair price for J to the EU and I'll buy this all day long vs 2.2K for UA P+ and waitlisting for an UG that never comes.
Why are you trying to waitlist PlusPoints on a P fare? The above deals are all business fares.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:17 am

Why are you trying to waitlist PlusPoints on a P fare? The above deals are all business fares.
P+ = Premium Plus, not a P fare.
PP = PlusPoints

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 21, 2023 at 10:46 am
Old May 13, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I will see 440 PlusPoints expire this year. Not for lack of trying, but nothing managed to clear last year as a 1K and ths year as a Plat, save one US TATL and one LH TATL. Am searching for June trips but not one PZ availability/skip the waitlist.

Looks like this is the year I go free agent. I wanted to hit 1MM with UA before going free agent, but can no longer justify it between the PPs going to waste year after year, really poor soft product (I watch the Polaris meal thread with horror -- flew up front on Air France and LH this year and UA is like prison food by comparison), and pricing.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yesterday, May 12, EWR-HND.

Waitlisted using GS PP.

Died as No.1 on the waitlist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.