Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
.... I am sitting on an AS transcon flight now I bought for under $200 roundtrip; comp upgraded to F both ways at the 75K window - G fare (lowest non-BE fare bucket). ....
While great for you, that's signs of a problem for the carrier
Old May 1, 2022, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
1. Read the thread title.
2. AA is more generous with upgrades than UA, demonstrated by their upgrading an EXP 15 minutes post-purchase, whereas UA makes everyone wait until inside T-24.
Again, not everyone is having to wait till T24. Heck, I still see PZ space ORD-ZRH on the flight Im on in a few weeks.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Again, not everyone is having to wait till T24. Heck, I still see PZ space ORD-ZRH on the flight Im on in a few weeks.
Finding a handful of routes and days with open PZ does not counter the observation that system-wide it is getting much harder to clear early or at all, nor that overall availability is shrinking.

For instance, while there used to be a decent shot at catching TATL upgrade space from anywhere in the network, it's now largely limited to Tu/We and east of the Mississippi.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So sick of this. I go to bed with LAX-DEN
booked 10/24 and me number six on the list. Five hours later I wake up hoping for the Youve been upgraded text after the sweep only to find that the cabin is booked 22/24 and Im still #2.

If this continues, Im out. Mark my words. Ill still buy P fares when it makes sense, but Im so tired of this game. Im also not going to pay and extra $350 for a 2-hr flight.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I know a lot of people are saying "want F, pay for F" - but I am just the opposite, more and more sitting the in back (behind the curtain) is not all that bad for relatively short flights (sure a longer, >4 hour for example, would be nice in a polaris... but the domestic first isnt all that great)...... sure food, drink, maybe the FA are a little nicer (who can blame them) - but give me a window seat and my noise canceling headphones.... and just get me to my destination on time...... I dont need (or want) the empty calories or the buzz........
Old May 1, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mfirst
I know a lot of people are saying "want F, pay for F" - but I am just the opposite, more and more sitting the in back (behind the curtain) is not all that bad for relatively short flights (sure a longer, >4 hour for example, would be nice in a polaris... but the domestic first isnt all that great)...... sure food, drink, maybe the FA are a little nicer (who can blame them) - but give me a window seat and my noise canceling headphones.... and just get me to my destination on time...... I dont need (or want) the empty calories or the buzz........
Fair enough, but then whats the point of status? For me, the primary benefit of 1K status has traditionally been the upgrades. Can always use my MM Gold for EconomyPlus and the fees are not a huge deal since I rarely redeposit an award and if I do there is usually a schedule change of some kind. I could not care less about boarding before group one or during group one.
Silver Fox, zombietooth and Dyce like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
the upgrades are nice - but for me, it is the other benefits.... benefits that I will probably lose when I dont make 1k this year (unlikely) that I would even consider paying for - but not thousands of $$$$.... for example:
1k voice for questions and problems - use about 2-3x a year
the dedicated line - very helpful
flexibility in moving things around
early boarding and better seat options - especially for when I travel with others
the free drink and snack box (although I am getting tired of the options) is nice - but I dont need more than that
CLEAR
I have used the free baggage recently that saved my travel companions a few hundred $$$
In general, they appear to be a little more helpful in solving problems, answering questions, maybe even bending the rules when they know you are 1K... this can be very subjective, but try asking a question at a counter as a non-elite and see how it goes and then try at another counter and start with "As a 1K, I am asking...." politely of course
seanp7 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I dont need (or want) the empty calories or the buzz........
I don't care about food or beverage on short-haul (and if I did, UA would be off the list, since it's far and away worst at this). For me, F on domestic shorthaul is all about cabin density and getting off the airplane quickly. Flew WN yesterday and it's just too many people in too small a space for my taste. Took 10 minutes to get out the door from row 11.
zombietooth and bluedemon211 like this.

Last edited by Kacee; May 1, 2022 at 8:41 am
Old May 1, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't care about food or beverage on short-haul (and if I did, UA would be off the list, since it's far and away worst at this). For me, F on domestic shorthaul is all about cabin density and getting off the airplane quickly. Flew WN yesterday and it's just too many people in too small a space for my taste. Took 10 minutes to get out the door from row 11.
I actually like WN. They don't dangle possible CPUs in front of me. The staff I interract with all seem happy to be there and happy to assist folks with issues. Free checked bags and just overall positive experiences. . Provided i check in at 24 hours then I am guaranteed to find a good seat. (UA trained me to check in at 24 hours when this made a difference for upgrades).

With UA most staff are pleasant but there are enough that make me feel as a pax I am an inconvenience to them. My 1K status with UA gives me free checked bags. I have a good seat due to my 1K status.

All in all my experiences are similar and yet I feel "happier" with WN because they deliver what they promise. UA dangles CPUs but for the most part rarely have them in 2022. My friends who fly AA and DL laugh at me because their upgrades are inverse - rare they do not get the upgrade. This may also be why I am noticing this more in 2022 because my DL and AA friends highlight this to me.

I am very much in the WFBF camp, but 2022 has been bad for CPUs in comparison to years gone by and I have been 1K for many years and do not fly hub to hub so CPUs were the norm.
Drewski5 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
So sick of this. I go to bed with LAX-DEN
booked 10/24 and me number six on the list. Five hours later I wake up hoping for the “You’ve been upgraded” text after the sweep only to find that the cabin is booked 22/24 and I’m still #2.

If this continues, I’m out. Mark my words. I’ll still buy P fares when it makes sense, but I’m so tired of this game. I’m also not going to pay and extra $350 for a 2-hr flight.
These are interesting words coming from one of UAs erstwhile fans.

Somewhere I hope to hear Scott Kirby saying (ala LBJ and Walter Cronkite): "If I've lost MatthewLAX, I've lost middle America....."
seanp7, MatthewLAX, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It's a good attitude you have, and it's one that UA loves - and it's also why UA persists with snooty crews who are too lazy to serve a PDB, why they serve reheated sandwiches packed with sodium & 91% of your daily saturated fat intake, why they don't mind clearing 1K upgrades until the last minute in hope of a sale, etc etc.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My friends who fly AA and DL laugh at me because their upgrades are inverse - rare they do not get the upgrade...
Im certainly not in a position to study this, but there seems to be something off here. If an airline gives out significantly more upgrades, I guess its 1) flying planes with a lot more upgrade capacity, or 2) its not doing a good job of selling F seats out right, or 3) not inducing buy-ups post-purchase, or a combination of all. Are AA/DL doing poorer jobs on filling F? Upgrades were supposed to be (originally) unsold seats, now some travelers expect airlines to strive to have unsold seats in order to make upgrades easier. If an airline does its job of making money on its forward cabin, theyre criticized by some who think upgrades should be a given. The evolution (and expectations) of upgrades certainly have evolved.

Im still of the school who thinks they are only left over seats, not an expectation. If I see 12 open F seats on a flight 2 days from now and Im #1 on the list, I might expect to get an upgrade. If I booked the flight 2 months ago, I would never expected UA to have 12 seats open or an upgrade (at the time of booking).

Reading a lot of these comments, it looks like some expect UA to hold back a certain percentage of seats for upgrades. Sometimes UAs needs outweighs your unrealistic expectations.

Believe me, I like my upgrades - on the other hand, as someone who worked in a business where the goal was making money, I gotta give reluctant credit to UA for filling the cabin at the expense of upgrades. Were seeing people realizing - WFBF.

I hope everyone who thinks the grass is greener at DL/AA take their status over there. Upgrades might tick up at UA and decline there
flyme2 and huey_driver like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 1, 2022 at 10:40 am
Old May 1, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Im certainly not in a position to study this, but there seems to be something off here.
Two of my friend flying DL today - booked coach and flying first (due to upgrades). One of them flew Friday - same thing, and the other Thursday - same. That is just this week.

Edit: I am not on the flights with them but they did share the screenshots showing the lists. Just like I send mine where I die on the list with no upgrade. I stay with UA due to PlusPoints for my TATL and TPAC flights
Old May 1, 2022, 11:03 am

Im still of the school who thinks they are only left over seats, not an expectation. If I see 12 open F seats on a flight 2 days from now and Im #1 on the list, I might expect to get an upgrade. If I booked the flight 2 months ago, I would never expected UA to have 12 seats open or an upgrade (at the time of booking).

Reading a lot of these comments, it looks like some expect UA to hold back a certain percentage of seats for upgrades. Sometimes UAs needs outweighs your unrealistic expectations.

Believe me, I like my upgrades - on the other hand, as someone who worked in a business where the goal was making money, I gotta give reluctant credit to UA for filling the cabin at the expense of upgrades. Were seeing people realizing - WFBF.

I hope everyone who thinks the grass is greener at DL/AA take their status over there. Upgrades might tick up at UA and decline there
I feel the same way. UA is a business trying to maximize profit for its shareholders. End of story. If they lose enough business due to their practices or uncompetitive policies, they either have to level the playing field or suffer the wrath of their shareholders as profits suffer. Most every FT airline board is filled with threads bemoaning that particular airline's fall into the abyss. I'm not noticing a mass migration to any particular airline or loyalty scheme, and that goes for hotel chains as well. Get a status match and test the waters.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Im certainly not in a position to study this, but there seems to be something off here. If an airline gives out significantly more upgrades, I guess its 1) flying planes with a lot more upgrade capacity, or 2) its not doing a good job of selling F seats out right, or 3) not inducing buy-ups post-purchase, or a combination of all. Are AA/DL doing poorer jobs on filling F? Upgrades were supposed to be (originally) unsold seats, now some travelers expect airlines to strive to have unsold seats in order to make upgrades easier. If an airline does its job of making money on its forward cabin, theyre criticized by some who think upgrades should be a given. The evolution (and expectations) of upgrades certainly have evolved.
Everyone equating getting upgraded and not getting upgraded among carriers as somehow they apply to systemwide. Routing, day of the week, time of the day, seasonality, and a lot of other factors come into play. There are no absolute of absolute.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.