Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by kmersh
Twice instead of the Pie In The Sky Cookie Pie Thing, I have been offered fresh baked on-board cookies instead and it has been a nice change.

The FA commented last time that the cookies seem to be universally enjoyed while the Pie In The Sky tends to be untouched by at least half the cabin.

While the two choice are repetitive, I find both choices to be acceptable with the caveat that I do not fly UA all that often (mostly DL) so it is not as repetitive for me as it is for some folks here.
Baked-on-board cookies on UA??? Haven't seen those since about 2016.

Any other recent sightings? Would be a welcome return.
MatthewLAX and NRoften like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by st530
Baked-on-board cookies on UA??? Haven't seen those since about 2016.

Any other recent sightings? Would be a welcome return.
It happened to me out of MCO both times, I am not sure exactly what happened, but the FA on the first flight it happened on said that the local caterer at MCO (Flying Food Group) has had some strange substitutions since hot meals returned.

She said a few day prior to my flight with cookies vs. the Pie In The Sky, the Za'tar Chicken had no red drizzle nor chopped pieces of chicken and instead was a chicken breast over orzo and spinach with a lite sauce which customers seemed to prefer to the actual Za'tar chicken.

Like most things airline, it is consistently inconsistent.

As a mainly DL passenger, it is interesting to experience what other airlines offer, but at the end of the day I think at least right now DL has a better FC offering.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
UA1783
SFO-AUS
B39M (NEXT)
PDB choice of Water/OJ/Sparkling
Wine/Mimosa

Any chances we'll see United increasing variety/quality on their meal service soon? I received the waffle (shocker) on my recent SFO-AUS, and man, Its disappointing to see how United is slowly bringing out a stellar Passenger experience, while the overall quality and presentation of the meals are going downhill. I flew Delta 3 times the last 2 months, and let me tell you, I was blown away with the quality of the food, let alone the portion sizes (Especially out of DTW and BOS which are DO&CO catered). Its really the only things setting them apart from having the best domestic first class (well also the ongoing NEXT program).

Last edited by itripreport; Aug 1, 2022 at 7:30 pm Reason: adding flight info
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:39 pm

EWR-SFO 8/4/22 premium transcon

These are my options for my upcoming premium transcon flight (EWR-SFO):

butternut squash ravioli
Thai chicken
vegetarian chili and polenta cake
brioche burger

I have a few questions related to meal service:

1) Any reviews on the Thai chicken, butternut squash ravioli, or burger? I don’t know which one to pick. This is my first UA business class flight.

2) Can I pick more than one option on board?

3) Will there be additional meal service/snacks towards the end of the flight?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dan Rom

butternut squash ravioli
Thai chicken
brioche burger

1) Any reviews on the Thai chicken, butternut squash ravioli, or burger? I don’t know which one to pick. This is my first UA business class flight.

Thanks in advance!!
Catering usually provides just enough meals to match the number of seats. GS and 1Ks Premiers are accorded their first choices (usually) so the farther back you sit in the cabin, the less variety will be left if you don't have that status. There may be a lot of that ilk (GSs and 1Ks) on that route. You can ask for a second entree, but FA will probably get everyone's order before knowing if there's anything left.

If pre-order is available, you have good chance of getting your choice.
CApreppie likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 3, 2022 at 12:24 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Dan Rom

butternut squash ravioli
Thai chicken
brioche burger

Thanks in advance!!
1) The Thai chicken dish can turn mushy because it's rice noodle. The butternut squash is a pretty solid choice, but there is a limited number on board. The burger is coming from the coach Buy on Board.

2) You may be asked to pick a first and second choice, and you'll get one, if you did not pre-order. You can always ask for a second entree if there's any leftover.

3) There is a tabbouleh and hummus plate, or cheese and cold cuts plate, both served with crackers, one hour prior to landing.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Quick question. I am flying DEN-HNL in October upfront and it says Lunch will be served. Won't a pre-arrival snack, i.e. a burger, be offered as well? Just confirming. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Flew IAH to BOI last Thursday afternoon and back this Monday morning. United Express E175.

Thursday:
FA started at the back of the cabin and by the time she got to us in row 1 all that was left was the cheese plate. Didn't see what the other option was, she didn't tell us. She was fast on the drinks though.

Monday:
Only option out of BOI on Express that morning was a cheese plate with a bowl of cereal and a prepackaged croissant. The croissant was pretty good with the cheese though.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
EWR-LAX lunch flight two weeks ago didn't offer preorder, and I got the Thai chicken. The chicken itself was good and the sauce was tasty, but the noodles were literally turned to mushy paste. LAX-EWR breakfast flight on August 1, preorder was offered, which included both the egg white bites and the kale egg pastry. I order the kale egg pastry, and a meal was catered for me (the FA showed me the foil cover with my name & seat printed on it). However, no kale-egg pastries were catered, and everyone who pre-ordered that received the egg white bites (which were pretty tasty).
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-IAH 2 Aug 1200 noon 738 seat 2B

PDB of water or undrinkably sweet bubbly.

I preordered the brioche burger (other choices were the two staples or a vegetarian chili).

Perfectly fine and a nice change from the two staples, which I like, but I’ve been doing a lot of domestic runs lately and they get a little tiresome.

Note the fruit bowl with at least three times the volume as the surreal fruit bowl accompanying the Hampton Inn muffin/“French toast” in the Let’s Eat Polaris thread.

ll22949 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Quick question. I am flying DEN-HNL in October upfront and it says Lunch will be served. Won't a pre-arrival snack, i.e. a burger, be offered as well? Just confirming. Thanks in advance.
Unless something changed - it will have a pre-arrival option. I'm on that flight Sept 6. A recent poster indicated burger or Soba noodles choices.
airkapper likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by st530
PDB of water or undrinkably sweet bubbly.

I preordered the brioche burger (other choices were the two staples or a vegetarian chili).

Perfectly fine and a nice change from the two staples, which I like, but I’ve been doing a lot of domestic runs lately and they get a little tiresome.

Note the fruit bowl with at least three times the volume as the surreal fruit bowl accompanying the Hampton Inn muffin/“French toast” in the Let’s Eat Polaris thread.

And it looks like you got a mayo packet which is my preferred hamburger topping. I did not like the chipotle mayo they used to have a long time ago—and have only seen ketchup and mustard lately.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
SAN-EWR August 2022

SAN-EWR Aug 2022
Lunch flight

On a 738 equipped with the old CO PTVs. WiFi network accessible only for UA website and app but no internet available (only getting “connection not private” when trying to go to unitedwifi.com).
PDB of water only
Booked this at the last minute so didn’t do Pre-order. Only two of us 1Ks in First and the other pax had pre-ordered so purser came to take my meal choice first before the rest of the F cabin.
Choices were the grilled chicken or the Impossible Meatballs with couscous and broccolini (I took the latter):

The main dish was Meh..have had better Impossible Meatballs on Delta..
Best part of the meal was the warm dessert cupcake/muffin tart with hot melted chocolate inside!
Very professional and friendly purser.
Only snacks available post-lunch were pretzels.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Forgot to mention above, but on both EWR-LAX (last week) and LAX-EWR return (this week), there were water or bubbly PDBs offered from trays. On both flights, I requested a bloody mary instead, and in both cases the FA happily accommodated me.
tstauck and cczzll like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not surprised based on other posts but a bit ridiculous that these are the options for a 5 hour trans on SFO - RDU next week.

Considering it leaves at almost 10am PT and doesn’t land until after 6pm ET they could at least spring for a lunch meal on this flight.

Especially with the 10am departure which is late enough in the AM to eat before going to the airport. I guess I’ll go with the baked egg (if they load it?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.